Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who was the first producer/director to come to California?

bhryun

I found this: "In 1911, he joined the New York Motion Picture Company and headed to California to make westerns." that's pretty early.......

Hello, everyone:

From what I understand, the first producer-director to come to Hollywood was none other than Cecil B. Demille. They were going to get off at Tucson, but it was raining, and they got off at the end of the line (Hollywood).

The picture they were going to make was the "Squaw Man."

Take care.

Deborah

Although DeMille is credited with the first Hollywood hit, the aforementioned The Squaw Man, I do think Ince is a more accurate figure to cite as the first producer-director in California. He does prefigure DeMille's arrival by a little over a year by producing and directing shorts as well as pioneering the studio backlot. Selig, who prefigures both, was only a producer so that rules him out. Griffith stayed in New York until 1914. An interesting question. What's the paper about?

johnnyweekes70,

Writing a paper for my college upper-division course California History. Decided on "Hollywood's Impact on California."

thanks for the replies back, I know that William Selig was the producer for The Count of Monte Cristo, shot parts of it in 1907, Los Angeles. My Professor has told me it was Thomas Ince who came first. I'm still working on more listed sources to back this up.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0000668/locations

johnnyirish, Though this doesn't exactly answer your question, according to Kevin Brownlow, in his introduction to John Kobal's book Hollywood--The Years of Innocence, in October 1911, David and William Horsley leased an old roadhouse for thirty dollars a month and turned it into the Nestor Film Studio, the first picture studio in Hollywood. That's just a starting point, if you haven't already run across that. I haven't the time tonight to flip through William K. Everson's American Silent Film or Brownlow's own The Parade's Gone By---my toilet just broke and the plumber's here---but I'm sure there's some good info in those books. I wonder what California would have become had those brazen outcasts from New York (or New Jersey, in the Horsley brothers case) not set up shop. Your topic is certainly interesting and not one you'll have a hard time finding academic sources for, I'm sure. Good luck!

Johnnyirish,

The Nestor Studio was located on Sunset and Gower (currently the home of KCBS Columbia Square) and it is mentioned in Brownlow's "Parade".

Are you taking Kevin Starr's California History class?

Lynn in Sherman Oaks

but I'm sure there's some good info in those books. I wonder what California would have become had those brazen outcasts from New York (or New Jersey, in the Horsley brothers case) not set up shop. >>

Johnnyweekes,

After one summer of heat and monsoon rains in Tucson, they probably would have hopped the train and kept going west until they found a better climate. That would be my guess! :)

lzcutter,

Although I have read part of Kevin Starrs' book for my paper we are using Andrew Rolle's California: A History.

johnnyweekes70 thanks for the references, I had checked out Kevin Barlow?s ?The Parades Gone By? an excellent book.