Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My ex wife and I used to breed Silver Persian cats.  She was quite the cat lover.  I like most animals, so cats never annoyed me the way they do some people.

I once had a CALICO who gave birth to a litter in my CLOSET when I was 14!

I once saw a video of a cat that was dicovered to have kept flushing a basement toilet just to watch the wate swirl down and was finally found to be the reason their water bill was so high.

What tickled me about it was, we once had a cat, a pet AND a silver persian, who would hurredly run into the bathroom whenever she heard the toilet flush in order to do the same!  I took a photo of it, and quipped it looked as if the cat had "partied too hard".  She also had a propensity to stick her face into my sneakers when I wasn't wearing them.  I suppose since the horrid odor of most commercial cat foods seem to attract them, then the odor I left in MY shoes must have seemed lke CHANEL to a cat!

I've got to run now, but, if time permits tomorrow, I'll bore(or fascinate) you all with the story of a stray we once adopted and called "Palooka".

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I just found this great thread.  I cat-sit a lot and right now there's one sleeping beside me (while I happen to be watching the commentary to "A Letter to Three Wives"...)

I think the idea that "cats are so independent..." is wrong.  I've found cats to be much more needy and demanding than dogs.  We don't take cats out for walks, but a lot of them want you to engage with them... often.  This one cat I sit for (a Bengal) is frequently and loudly vocal and she is ready to play the minute I get up in the morning (5 a.m...).  It's hard for her to be alone when people are out all day, so once I get back to the house after work she has to hold my attention for as long as possible with her insistent meows, racing from room to room.  Other friends of mine have a cat that pesters them during the night.

Still, somehow they always manage to melt your heart.  I'm more of a "dog person" but can't help being crazy about cats, too. ;)

The author might have gone further to warn it is NOT a good idea, usually tried for one's self protection, to wear GLOVES while trying to bathe a cat.  Those type of paraphanalia will FREAK A CAT OUT, and make them MORE life threatening!

One thing my ex and I discovered was that if you have the advantage of raising a cat from kittenhood, it's a good idea to bathe them reguarily from that point to another.  They may freak out at first, but as they're kittens and haven't much size, strength or "dexterity of claw" yet, they'll quickly( in OUR experience) learn there's no harm or anything to FEAR in getting bathed, and if and when the need to bathe them comes up while they're adults, it will be much easier to manage.  But, be forewarned....

There ARE excepions to EVERY rule!

Sepiatone

The author might have gone further to warn it is NOT a good idea, usually tried for one's self protection, to wear GLOVES while trying to bathe a cat.  Those type of paraphanalia will FREAK A CAT OUT, and make them MORE life threatening!

One thing my ex and I discovered was that if you have the advantage of raising a cat from kittenhood, it's a good idea to bathe them reguarily from that point to another.  They may freak out at first, but as they're kittens and haven't much size, strength or "dexterity of claw" yet, they'll quickly( in OUR experience) learn there's no harm or anything to FEAR in getting bathed, and if and when the need to bathe them comes up while they're adults, it will be much easier to manage.  But, be forewarned....

There ARE excepions to EVERY rule!

Sepiatone

I have a cat that hates me to put a collar or the applied to the neck flea killer. Got to apply while it's eating and hope I hit the back of neck 3 feet up. Even that freaks it out.

MmaDfxD.gif

I've found if you hold your hand like a "claw" kind of thing, it also freaks some cats out! 

Some(many, actually) say you "can't train cats".  I've also  found this untrue.

And my daughter once had a T-shirt that humorously declared---"Cats don't have "owners".  They have "staff"!   :lol:

Sepiatone

I've found if you hold your hand like a "claw" kind of thing, it also freaks some cats out!

Some(many, actually) say you "can't train cats". I've also found this untrue.

And my daughter once had a T-shirt that humorously declared---"Cats don't have "owners". They have "staff"! :lol:

Sepiatone

Yes, your so right about cats being trainable. My boy is not a year old yet and we've only had him inside for a few months. We don't give him any table scraps and he learned quickly and easily to not to bother or beg while we are eating. We do not have a litter box and we trained him to go outdoors. Then we come to my biggest peeve -the counter tops/table. As much as I love animals, I still don't want no cats arse sitting on the counters.

Some cats definitely learn more quickly. Some are a little persistent or bull-headed but they can do it.

I like that about cats having "staff." Some do act like they come from royalty. Funny personalities too.

Thank you for starting this thread.  I shared my home with both dogs and cats and they got along quite well together.  One dog adopted a left-behind neighbor's kitten and you've never seen a closer "mother and son". 

Cats seem to be more agile, animated and have more self-determination.  They are also affectionate and sensitive to your moods.  They don't really need us but they can certainly make us think we need them.  There are some that hang around here and will let us interact with them; it would be a drearier place without them.

• Like 1