Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Yes, your so right about cats being trainable. My boy is not a year old yet and we've only had him inside for a few months. We don't give him any table scraps and he learned quickly and easily to not to bother or beg while we are eating. We do not have a litter box and we trained him to go outdoors. Then we come to my biggest peeve -the counter tops/table. As much as I love animals, I still don't want no cats arse sitting on the counters.

Some cats definitely learn more quickly. Some are a little persistent or bull-headed but they can do it.

I like that about cats having "staff." Some do act like they come from royalty. Funny personalities too.

I've only had dogs "beg" at the table during dinner...the CATS coudn't be bothered.

My ex used to give one cat we had(Palooka) a treat called "Pounce" that came in a little paper tube container, like a minature PRINGLES can.  While she was feeding the cat the treat, she'd shake the can, and you'd hear the sound of the treats making noise while being shaken.  Very shortly, she was able to lean outside the front door and shake the can, and Palooka would run from wherever he was to the sound!  I've done this successfully to other cats.

He was called Palooka because when we got him( he supposedly "followed" the kids home on day) he had an ear in which all the cartalidge was curled up inside of it, looking kind of, to me, a "cauliflower" ear!  A visit to the vet confirmed that this was exactly what it was!  The vet explained, "The first thing a cat will go for when they fight is the other cat's ear.  HIS ear got messed up from enough fights, the scar tissue caused it to curl up inside of itself, just LIKE a "cauliflower" ear!"  It kept getting infections, so it was removed.  He had a unique personality. The ONLY thing about him I DON'T mis is his GAS!  (LORDY!)  He resembled the old TV commercial's "MORRIS" the cat.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Yes, cats can be trained. A friend taught a cat to fetch. Shortly after the kitten was able to open it's eyes after birth, a crumpled ball of paper was dropped at its feet. All it could do at that stage was to pick it up and drop it. Over and over this until later on it would run 20-30 feet for the paper. The ritual became running to grab the paper ball, bringing it back and dropping it at your feet, then executing a bear hug on your ankle. The bear hug of course was not part of the training. Apparently the cat added that out of sheer exhilaration.

• Like 1

Yes, cats can be trained. A friend taught a cat to fetch. Shortly after the kitten was able to open it's eyes after birth, a crumpled ball of paper was dropped at its feet. All it could do at that stage was to pick it up and drop it. Over and over this until later on it would run 20-30 feet for the paper. The ritual became running to grab the paper ball, bringing it back and dropping it at your feet, then executing a bear hug on your ankle. The bear hug of course was not part of the training. Apparently the cat added that out of sheer exhilaration.

Birds can be potty trained as well but only certain ones.    I have two birds that I have trained to p-o-o-p when I say 'p-o-o-p'.    Even when they don't want to if I give the command they will attempt to do it (which looks funny since one can see they are really trying).    BUT during the day they will do it whenever they want to (I.e. they are NOT trained to hold it until I give the command).   So when I go to play with them I give the command first.   This reduces the odd they do it while I'm playing with them outside their cage.

At night they have a separate sleeping cage and they rarely do it in that one.      Instead they wait for me to get them and than they do it on command on a paper so it is easy to throw out  (unless I get them up too late!).     This helps keeps their sleeping cage clean.