Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Comcast Question

newclassicfilmfan1

I have an older analog tv set.  I also have a flat screen that gets the HD channels.   On my analog tv, for the past week, channels 2, 4, 5, 7 get a distorted, narrow appearance.  Very hard to watch.   The picture fills the screen, but the picture is condensed and makes the people look narrow and far away.    On the higher channels, some of them are okay and some are too big a picture which makes letters go off the screen.   The analog channels on my flat screen have the same distortion on 2, 4, 5, 7.  So it can't be the tv set as it is on both tvs.    

The analog tv only has a 4:3 ratio, so there is no adjustment that can be made to the aspect ratio.

I called Comcast - a Tech. came over and said "that's the way it plays".    Yet this only happened 1 week ago.    I've called for another Tech. to come over, but I have a feeling nobody knows how to fix it.  It appears to be an issue on Comcast's end, but not a person has a clue as to what to do to correct this issue.

If anyone has an analog tv, are you experiencing any change in channels, 2, 4, 5, 7 with narrowed distortion problem?    (I'm trying to figure out if it's possibly a signal these channels are now sending out).....or is it a Comcast issue.   Thanks for any advice you might have.

I have an older analog tv set.  I also have a flat screen that gets the HD channels.   On my analog tv, for the past week, channels 2, 4, 5, 7 get a distorted, narrow appearance.  Very hard to watch.   The picture fills the screen, but the picture is condensed and makes the people look narrow and far away.    On the higher channels, some of them are okay and some are too big a picture which makes letters go off the screen.   The analog channels on my flat screen have the same distortion on 2, 4, 5, 7.  So it can't be the tv set as it is on both tvs.    

The analog tv only has a 4:3 ratio, so there is no adjustment that can be made to the aspect ratio.

I called Comcast - a Tech. came over and said "that's the way it plays".    Yet this only happened 1 week ago.    I've called for another Tech. to come over, but I have a feeling nobody knows how to fix it.  It appears to be an issue on Comcast's end, but not a person has a clue as to what to do to correct this issue.

If anyone has an analog tv, are you experiencing any change in channels, 2, 4, 5, 7 with narrowed distortion problem?    (I'm trying to figure out if it's possibly a signal these channels are now sending out).....or is it a Comcast issue.   Thanks for any advice you might have.

I've got Bright House and am experiencing similar displays. They're doing something on their end which is re-formatting the picture.

I had about 20 channels suddenly disappear several days ago. I had to run the Autoprogram to lock them back in (couldn't add them using channel list or number pad), then a bunch of channels began displaying in 4 : 3 instead of the full-screen I had set.

Yes. Bright House Cable.

I'm curious, too. It's as if (some or all) broadcasters have flipped a switch and reformatted the screen ratios. I don't see anyone else asking about this, so maybe it's just a hiccup that will right itself shortly - I hope.

On your LCD flat screen HDTV, you can change the screen ratios for each channel's display, which should put them back where you need them. The CRT tv is stuck. That one's a puzzler.

I have reset all of my HD channels from their 4 : 3 back to my preferrence (Zoom1, 16 : 9, etc..).

Thank you so much.   I usually watch the HD channels on my flat screen - so the distorted analog channels don't bother me on that tv.   It's my older analog tv that doesn't have a way to reset any ratio aspect.  Back then they made tvs with only 1 aspect ratio.    

I'm surprised nobody else is complaining about this distortion problem on analog channels and tvs.

Does your older, analog TV have an Autoprogram feature. Maybe running this would help.. maybe. there are some adjustments that are not available via your remote which may take effect when you run Autoprogram.

I've also experienced a change in the size of text fonts which I post here as part of an image (not as printed text within these posts). This occurred shortly after my tv's screen ratio displays went all 4 : 3 on me. Since Bright House is my cable AND ISP, I think there is a connection. I now have to use a font 50% greater in my images to achieve the same size previously posted. e.g. , 36 instead of 24.

Either the text thing is generated by my cable/ISP or, somehow, this message board changed something to do with how images are displayed here - a coincidence that is possible but unlikely. I'll never know.

I selected an autoscan of channels....unfortunately it didn't fix the distortion problem - it's the worst on channel 2, 4, 5, 7.   Seems like something nobody is gonna be able to fix on my analog tv.   I think either the cable company or the channels are sending out a different broadcast picture and it is distorted for anyone who still has analog tv sets.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings