Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Killing Star Trek

NipkowDisc

first, not OT because it relates to star trek on the big screen therefore my remarks are film-related. what killed star trek?
stupid mishandling by too many ay-wholes at paramount, that's what. my credentials to comment thusly? the national star trek phenomenon began on two stations in the northeastern syndication market, WPIX channel 11 outta nyc and WKBS-TV channel 48 long defunct outta Philadelphia and I was there watching those 79 episodes every weeknite at six, watching them several hundred times and even before syndication I was there watching star trek at the beginning of the 2nd year on nbc.
saw my favorite episode The Doomsday Machine TWICE on it's original nbc run. so I know the original star trek TV series as well as any first generation trekker can know star trek. into the seventies I bought the blueprints, the fan mags and the paperbacks as well as assorted novelties like a non-working communicator.
shoulda gotten a working one but this company got cute and took alotta money without sending out the goods. years later gotta non-working one since they didn't wanna go to jail.
how did paramount successfully ruin what had been star trek? the abrams/chris pine films are not star trek but millennial starship troopers garbage.
here's what happened...
gone from post-TV star trek were Robert H. Justman and William Finnegan and paramount pussyfoots around for years. problems that were detailed in the pages of starlog magazine. a process called magicam considered then we read that SF/X guy Robert Abel was takin' too long and then we read that they can't decide on a story. they eventually decide to go with alan dean foster who novelized the cartoon episodes in paperback. SF/X guy Douglas Trumbull is now the man. to be directed by the great Robert Wise. how could he go wrong? the eventual result? a big fat secondary hull-**** turkey. how? here's how. first and foremost a blatant disregard for the long established television continuity. so much was done that never needed to be done. an ill-advised visual re-imagining had been undertaken and it was not necessary. what did the first generation television fans want? what nbc had cancelled in the fall of 1969...
and we never got it.
signs that time had passed? sure...but they went too dam far! here's a clear example of going too far. in the series the enterprise corridors are presented as wide and expansive and camera angles helped a lot. in ST-TMP the ship's corridors are now extremely narrow. wide and expansive to extremely narrow? doesn't wash, of course. the bridge still retaining the jefferies configuration is now what? some strange medi-scan complex. uniforms? ambiguously unisexual satin-looking pajamas. some light blue and some light tan. no red. I actually read in starlog that there was a feeling that the bright gold, blue and red TV uniform colors would be too distracting to a theatre audience.
the second feature film known as the wrath of khan and paramount's stupidity continues...
they coulda and shoulda gone with a simple story of revenge with the two protagonists khan and kirk but no, they throw in the genesis bs. wasn't necessary or needed. And what is the point in having ricardo montalban reprise khan and yet have no direct confrontation between him and kirk in the entire film??? episode space seed ended with a climactic fight between kirk and khan in the engine room. quite counter-intuitive to say the least. instead khan pays his respects to "his old friend" over the radio. now get this, we're suppose to believe that years after depositing khan and his eugenics-bred superhumans on ceti alpha five, they go completely forgotten by starfleet and the federation even to the extent that nobody knows that the sixth planet in the system has exploded?
kirk never reported the encounter with khan and his group to starfleet?
really?
then in the 3rd film they have shatner mix it up with christopher lloyd but by that time first generation trekkers are getting increasingly perplexed by paramount's stupid handling.
paramount dedicates the 3rd film to resurrecting spock with kirk stealing his own ship. they never had such bureaucratic troubles in the tv series.
then for the 4th film we get a timely humpback **** to indict whaling. khan wouldn't have liked that since he saw kirk as his moby dick. at least in the 5th film the stalwart shatner tried to slouch back to some of the TV interaction of the 1960s series.
hey, at least he tried. the 6th film was well-mounted but too political for it's own good. the klingons were now russians.
And with Generations in 1994 paramount finally decides to take a huge dump on the original fan base by removing shatner.
shatner probably had 3 or 4 more star trek films left in him which was a crime to classic star trek.
star trek today is dead and lies in ruins due more than anything else to the refusal of so many at paramount to respect star trek's television origin.
back in the seventies a constant theme in the fan mags I was buying was the way they played up the science fictiony aspects of Roddenberry's vision...but they did so at the expense of the action-adventure elements that nbc had insisted upon.
the filmation cartoon remained true to the primetime live-action series. the 1980s theatrical films never did.
that's what killed star trek.

first, not OT because it relates to star trek on the big screen therefore my remarks are film-related. what killed star trek?

stupid mishandling by too many ay-wholes at paramount, that's what. my credentials to comment thusly? the national star trek phenomenon began on two stations in the northeastern syndication market, WPIX channel 11 outta nyc and WKBS-TV channel 48 long defunct outta Philadelphia and I was there watching those 79 episodes every weeknite at six, watching them several hundred times and even before syndication I was there watching star trek at the beginning of the 2nd year on nbc.

saw my favorite episode The Doomsday Machine TWICE on it's original nbc run. so I know the original star trek TV series as well as any first generation trekker can know star trek. into the seventies I bought the blueprints, the fan mags and the paperbacks as well as assorted novelties like a non-working communicator.

shoulda gotten a working one but this company got cute and took alotta money without sending out the goods. years later gotta non-working one since they didn't wanna go to jail.

how did paramount successfully ruin what had been star trek? the abrams/chris pine films are not star trek but millennial starship troopers garbage.

here's what happened...

gone from post-TV star trek were Robert H. Justman and William Finnegan and paramount pussyfoots around for years. problems that were detailed in the pages of starlog magazine. a process called magicam considered then we read that SF/X guy Robert Abel was takin' too long and then we read that they can't decide on a story. they eventually decide to go with alan dean foster who novelized the cartoon episodes in paperback. SF/X guy Douglas Trumbull is know the man. to be directed by the great Robert Wise. how could he go wrong? the eventual result? a big fat secondary hull-**** turkey. how? here's how. first and foremost a blatant disregard for the long established television continuity. so much was done that never needed to be done. an ill-advised visual re-imagining had been undertaken and it was not necessary. what did the first generation television fans want? what nbc had cancelled in the fall of 1969...

and we never got it.

signs that time had passed? sure...but they went too dam far! here's a clear example of going too far. in the series the enterprise corridors are presented as wide and expansive and camera angles helped a lot. in ST-TMP the ship's corridors are now extremely narrow. wide and expansive to extremely narrow? doesn't wash, of course. the bridge still retaining the jefferies configuration is now what? some strange medi-scan complex. uniforms? ambiguously unisexual satin-looking pajamas. some light blue and some light tan. no red. I actually read in starlog that there was a feeling that the bright gold, blue and red TV uniform colors would be too distracting to a theatre audience.

the second feature film known as the wrath of khan and paramount's stupidity continues...

they coulda and shoulda gone with a simple story of revenge with the two protagonists khan and kirk but no, they throw in the genesis bs. wasn't necessary or needed. And what is the point in having ricardo montalban reprise khan and yet have no direct confrontation between him and kirk in the entire film??? episode space seed ended with a climactic fight between kirk and khan in the engine room. quite counter-intuitive to say the least. instead khan pays his respects to "his old friend" over the radio. now get this, we're suppose to believe that years after depositing khan and his eugenics-bred superhumans on ceti alpha five, they go completely forgotten by starfleet and the federation even to the extent that nobody knows that the sixth planet in the system has exploded?

really?

then in the 3rd film they have shatner mix it up with christopher lloyd but by that time first generation trekkers are getting increasingly perplexed by paramount's stupid handling.

paramount dedicates the 3rd film to resurrecting spock with kirk stealing his own ship. they never had such bureaucratic troubles in the tv series.

then for the 4th film we get a timely humpback **** to indict whaling. khan wouldn't have liked that since he saw kirk as his moby dick. at least in the 5th film the stalwart shatner tried to slouch back to some of the TV interaction of the 1960s series.

hey, at least he tried. the 6th film was well-mounted but too political for it's own good. the klingons were now russians.

And with Generations in 1994 paramount finally decides to take a huge dump on the original fan base by removing shatner.

shatner probably had 3 or 4 more star trek films left in him which was a crime to classic star trek.

star trek today is dead and lies in ruins due more than anything else to the refusal of so many at paramount to respect star trek's television origin.

back in the seventies a constant theme in the fan mags I was buying was the way they played up the science fictiony aspects of Roddenberry's vision...but they did so at the expense of the action-adventure elements that nbc had insisted upon.

the filmation cartoon remained true to the primetime live-action series. the 1980s theatrical films never did.

My favorite example so far of questionable camera angles on a space ship is Frankenstein Versus The Space Monster (1965), with the exterior of the space ship clearly having no more than a 15' diameter across and supported by peg legs, and then the inside having more like 40' or 50' main room, and on top of that having multiple other rooms as well as a hallway to connect them, made with unpainted plywood walls of course.  I wouldn't be surprised if I was correct and actually did see an early Sawzall left behind by the construction crew or stagehands, almost as if they couldn't get their tools put away in time for filming.

IMO, TOS was the real deal.  I found it more interesting than its successors.  Aliens that look like Liberace, or that shivel up like a scorpion before dying are cool.  And who could forget the episode with Joan Collins.  Haven't seen the films.  Never got used to the Klingons.  TOS was last on TVLAnd about 7 years ago and in the middle of the night.

here's what happened...

gone from post-TV star trek were Robert H. Justman and William Finnegan and paramount pussyfoots around for years. problems that were detailed in the pages of starlog magazine. a process called magicam considered then we read that SF/X guy Robert Abel was takin' too long and then we read that they can't decide on a story. they eventually decide to go with alan dean foster who novelized the cartoon episodes in paperback. SF/X guy Douglas Trumbull is now the man. to be directed by the great Robert Wise. how could he go wrong? the eventual result? a big fat secondary hull-**** turkey. how? here's how. first and foremost a blatant disregard for the long established television continuity. so much was done that never needed to be done. an ill-advised visual re-imagining had been undertaken and it was not necessary. what did the first generation television fans want? what nbc had cancelled in the fall of 1969...

and we never got it.

really?

is it too late for the great William Shatner to play Kirk again? I believe not. what do old school trekkers want? simple. an entire film devoted to the return of a living james t. kirk as only shatner can play him. leonard nimoy was afforded star trek 3: the search for spock. shatner deserves a film too. paramount must make amends for the damage they inflicted on star trek in 1994. :)

You're right. The crew members went from pants (pilot episodes), to mini skirts and go-go boots in the series, to body stockings in TNG and spin-offs, back to pants and body suits in the first movies.. back to mini skirts and go-go boots in the reboot.

So let's see.. the most popular viewing experiences revolve around the mini skirt and go-go boot era. Which also included more scantily clad women of varied origins.

I think I am getting closer to figuring this out here.  TOS was a mid-to-late 60's stagey TV production which was unapologetically planted in the 60's (miniskirts, form-fitting clothes, miniatures hanging from wires, etc), while speculating about the future.  That in itself is much different than the later adaptations which look more to me like Planet Of The Apes.  But each to their own I suppose.  Personally I think TOS is great.

What REALLY killed Star Trek was that the female cast members starting wearing more clothes.

yeah, denise crosby in a body sock. away all spacefarers. :lol: actually, denise crosby was a hot ti e but they sure tried not to make her so.

marina sirtis was so hot they couldn't stifle it. :)

When Shatner started playing "T J Hooker" he lost all credibility .  After that, all down hill.

Credibility? Shatner?

Don't get me wrong - I'm very fond of my fellow Canadian and have found him immensely entertaining at times, but I've never considered credibility in terms of acting to be a strong point for him.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings