Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any Barbara Stanwyck fans living near Toronto?

misswonderly3

If so, (and even if not), check out this article:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/02/19/barbara-stanwyck-and-the-cinema-of-the-sublime/

I'm always encouraged when I hear about something like this, a mini film festival celebrating a classic film star. I think it helps keep someone like Babs in the public's memory. I hope lots of young people attend this series.

If so, (and even if not), check out this article:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/02/19/barbara-stanwyck-and-the-cinema-of-the-sublime/

I'm always encouraged when I hear about something like this, a mini film festival celebrating a classic film star. I think it helps keep someone like Babs in the public's memory. I hope lots of young people attend this series.

Fine article, too.  Here's how it begins:

Barbara Stanwyck read the script for Double Indemnity in a state of agitation. It was good. But the part was bilious and cruel. The moment she finished she called on Billy Wilder, its co-author, in his West Hollywood office. “I love the script and I love you,” she explained, “but I am a little afraid after all these years of playing heroines to go into an out-and-out cold-blooded killer.” Wilder could not abide diffidence, and, though he had not yet directed a feature, he was already rather notorious for his indelicate manner — just a few weeks earlier he’d hurled a manuscript at Raymond Chandler’s head. He stood and looked Stanwyck in the eye. “Well,” he challenged, “are you a mouse or an actress?” Stanwyck said she hoped she was the latter. Wilder sat back down. “Then do the part.”

P.S.  The article ends by mentioning a noir that's almost never shown on TCM, but is on You Tube in its entirety:  The File on Thelma Jordon.  It's one of her very best films, one in which Stanwyck's every bit as evil as she is in Double Indemnity.

P.P.S. "Jordon" is the correct spelling.

I agree with that sentiment. What I will add to that is that I am 19 and eagerly anticipating this Saturday, when I will be watching DOUBLE INDEMNITY at the TIFF Bell Lightbox in Toronto, as part of their Stanwyck retrospective. It's good that they are not only presenting these festivals, but also publicizing them so well. There was a great article in The Toronto Star last week about this, and I would not have known about the Stanwyck festival otherwise.

I agree with that sentiment. What I will add to that is that I am 19 and eagerly anticipating this Saturday, when I will be watching DOUBLE INDEMNITY at the TIFF Bell Lightbox in Toronto, as part of their Stanwyck retrospective. It's good that they are not only presenting these festivals, but also publicizing them so well. There was a great article in The Toronto Star last week about this, and I would not have known about the Stanwyck festival otherwise.

That relates to an ongoing complaint I've had about papers like the Washington Post, which will give reams of publicity to just about any new cable show or mindless fantasy movie that comes along, no matter how mediocre, while NEVER giving any sort of coverage to the many historically significant TCM retrospectives.   Of course they also almost never mention any of the retrospectives that the AFI shows, right in their own backyard.  I realize that Hollywood cares only about the techno-obsessed audience of adolescents and twentysomethings*, but I'd like to think that newspapers with a pretense of appealing to adults might do a little better.

*Apologies to any from those age groups who may read this.  I'm not referring to the exceptions such as yourself.

With that user name, I can see why you're excited.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings