Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

REWRITING OSCAR HISTORY

AndyM108

One of our local radio stations did a complete "rewrite" of all the past Oscar winners, and surprisingly did a great job of it, even if nobody's going to agree with everything he says.  You can click on each year individually to see the choices.

REWRITING OSCAR HISTORY

Here's one year in particular that I know will please a lot of noir fans:  1947

• Like 1

One of our local radio stations did a complete "rewrite" of all the past Oscar winners, and surprisingly did a great job of it, even if nobody's going to agree with everything he says.  You can click on each year individually to see the choices.

REWRITING OSCAR HISTORY

This is a pretty silly list. Not because there isn't a choice here and there that I might agree with (though not in 1947, apart from the sensible actress switch). But because the Oscars, even when you don't agree with their choices, tends to be logical, in that Best Picture will almost always win Best Director, or at least Best Screenplay. This new list doesn't do that -- it seems to want to have as many movies as possible represented. If a Best Picture doesn't win either Best Director and/or one of the Best Screenplay categories, what's "Best" about it?  An illogical list.

This is a pretty silly list. Not because there isn't a choice here and there that I might agree with (though not in 1947). But because the Oscars, even when you don't agree with their choices, tends to be logical, in that Best Picture will almost always win Best Director, or at least Best Screenplay. This new list doesn't do that -- it seems to want to have as many movies as possible represented. If a Best Picture doesn't win either Best Director and/or one of the Best Screenplay categories, what's "Best" about it?  An illogical list.

Nothing at all "illogical" about it.  With hundreds of movies a year to choose among, it's entirely conceivable that the awards could be split among different movies. 

But in any event, there are quite a few years on that list where the same picture got multiple awards*, so I'm not sure you've done much more than skim a few years before making your comment.

*Just to take 3 examples, 1950 has 3 awards for All About Eve.  1947 has 3 for Out of the Past, including Best Picture, Best Actor, and Best Supporting Actor. 1941 has Citizen Kane winning Best Picture, Best Director,  Best Supporting Actor, and Best Original Screenplay.  And so on.

REWRITING OSCAR HISTORY

I have a book about The Alternate Oscars (not sure if that's the title). And another book I have, Inside Oscar, has an appendix at the end, which lists all the nominees in all the categories listed by year, with asterisks for the winners. At the end of each year, the author then lists movies and actors that he felt should have been nominated.

Both books are interesting reads, and while I think there have been Many lapses in judgement, downright bad taste, and even outright injustices in the selections of winners and even nominations, I don't care for this type of rewriting history using current tastes and sensibilities. It is what it is, and of its time.

• Like 1

I have a book about The Alternate Oscars (not sure if that's the title). And another book I have, Inside Oscar, has an appendix at the end, which lists all the nominees in all the categories listed by year, with asterisks for the winners. At the end of each year, the author then lists movies and actors that he felt should have been nominated.

Both books are interesting reads, and while I think there have been Many lapses in judgement, downright bad taste, and even outright injustices in the selections of winners and even nominations, I don't care for this type of rewriting history using current tastes and sensibilities. It is what it is, and of its time.

Not having read the book you mention, I can't comment on the specifics.  But just as historians are constantly reinterpreting past events in the light of new knowledge and changing standards, I can't see any particular reason why Oscar awards should be exempt from that sort of scrutiny.  And anyway, I'd hope that nobody making these revised lists is trying to claim any sort of "objectivity", any more than the original Oscar voters were themselves being "objective".  We're all just giving our opinions based on our subjective preferences and values.

I too have the books you mention and enjoyed them very much.  And I like this list presented by Andy.

If I were to do something similar I think I would go a few steps further and not try to mirror the Oscar contenders so much.  After all, the Oscars are really just a LA film festival offering.  Films are eligible in the year they are screened in LA.  For instance, Casablanca then falls in 1943 instead of 1942.  Olivier's Henvy V was considered in 1946 instead of 1944 when it was released in Great Britain.

The Academy allows actors to be put in the wrong category all the time, often to boost one's chances of taking a trophy home.  For instance, Tatum O'Neal was not a supporting actor in Paper Moon.

I'm glad to see that this Rewriting list allowed some animated films (e.g., Snow White) and foreign language films in their choices (e.g., Grand Illusion) whereas the Oscars place these films in their own distinct categories.  But if you were judging Best Pictures with the inclusion of all possible animated or foreign language pictures I'm sure there would be even more of them present.

Since we have some "newbies" in here,I'll forward this query again .......

What if there WAS a year, in which NONE of the movies released, and NONE of the performances in them STOOD OUT?

NO movie was worth the price of a ticket,  and ALL of them ranked NO higher than "one star" (or ROSE, in SUSAN STARK'S case) or less.

WOULD they STILL feel it neccesary to HAVE an award granted that year?

Shouldn't the award go to....the most exceptionally  written, filmed, performed and favored movie of that year?  Or simply,  the LEAST mediocre?

And, IF that's the case, how meaningful then, can that award BE?

Sepiatone

Since we have some "newbies" in here,I'll forward this query again .......

What if there WAS a year, in which NONE of the movies released, and NONE of the performances in them STOOD OUT?

NO movie was worth the price of a ticket,  and ALL of them ranked NO higher than "one star" (or ROSE, in SUSAN STARK'S case) or less.

WOULD they STILL feel it neccesary to HAVE an award granted that year?

Shouldn't the award go to....the most exceptionally  written, filmed, performed and favored movie of that year?  Or simply,  the LEAST mediocre?

And, IF that's the case, how meaningful then, can that award BE?

Sepiatone

Not very, but then unless you're either a nominee for one of those awards or a big time Kool-Aid fancier, I can't see how you'd ever want to take any Oscar award seriously in the first place.  They're a good starting point for a discussion about the merits of various movies, but other than that they're pretty much nothing but a popularity contest.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it does have its limitations.

• Like 2

This sort of thing is always fun. Too bad that the list is hard to access, rather than being available in one long document.

But I have to say--if you're taking away Oscars, you let Charlton Heston keep his Best Actor award over Jack Lemmon (Some Like It Hot), James Stewart (Anatomy of a Murder), Laurence Harvey (Room at the Top), etc.? Sheesh. What were these people thinking?

And Andy, I love me some film noir, but the best film of 1947 is OBVIOUSLY (he says, pounding his shoe on the table) Black Narcissus.

REWRITING OSCAR HISTORY

A great Idea Andy, I mentioned i another thread that TCM should have a 31 days of NO-scar, all the great films for each year there was an Oscar that were't even nomiated that are best remembered today.

I only got up to 1941 before I got tired of clicking back & forth, but it's obvious that whoever put this list together has certain favorites whether they be films, actors or directors. Like a preference for comedy and comedic performances, at least in the years I looked at. Or maybe it's my prejudice showing.

I only got up to 1941 before I got tired of clicking back & forth, but it's obvious that whoever put this list together has certain favorites whether they be films, actors or directors. Like a preference for comedy and comedic performances, at least in the years I looked at. Or maybe it's my prejudice showing.

Of course he's got his preferences.  What other reason would he have for raising the subject?  His preferences are more along the lines of how a film has held up over time rather than how it did at the box office back then, and for the most part (though not always) his "rewrite" choices are better than the originals.

About halfway through this, I wondered what the point was, but I didn't want to be like the Marx Brothers after they'd run out of gas halfway across the ocean.  So What the H e l l, here's the whole list.   You can see that he didn't agree with too many of the original choices, and that pretty much every genre was represented.  You'll note that he combined categories, which means that some of these movies wouldn't have even been eligible for "Best Picture" in the first place, but so what?  Restricting "Best Picture" to domestic movies has always been a strange sort of affirmative action that Hollywood films shouldn't need.

1927/28: Wings / Sunrise        The General

1928/29:  The Broadway Melody   The Man with a Movie Camera

1927/28: Wings / Sunrise    Wings / Sunrise     The General

1928/29:  The Broadway Melody The Broadway Melody   The Man with a Movie Camera

1929/30   All Quiet on the Western Front

1930/31 Cimarron  Cimarron   City Lights

1931/32   Grand Hotel   Scarface

1932/33   Cavalcade   King Kong

1934        It Happened One Night

1935        Mutiny on the Bounty   Top Hat

1936        The Great Ziegfield   Modern Times

1937        The Life of Emile Zola   Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

1938        You Can’t Take It With You   Bringing Up Baby

1939       Gone With the Wind    The Wizard of Oz

1940        Rebecca   The Grapes of Wrath

1941        How Green Was My Valley   Citizen Kane

1942       Mrs. Miniver   Yankee Doodle Dandy

1943       Casablanca

1944       Going My Way   Double Indemnity

1945       The Lost Weekend   Rome: Open City

1946       The Best Years of Our Lives   It’s a Wonderful Life

1947        Gentlemen’s Agreement   Out of the Past

1948       Hamlet   Bicycle Thieves

1949       All The King’s Men   The Third Man

1950       All About Eve   Sunset Boulevard

1951       An American in Paris   A Streetcar Named Desire

1952       The Greatest Show on Earth   Singin’ in the Rain

1953       From Here to Eternity   Tokyo Story

1954       On The Waterfront   The Seven Samurai

1955       Marty   Pather Panchali

1956       Around the World in 80 Days   The Searchers

1957       The Bridge on the River Kwai   12 Angry Men

1958       Gigi   Vertigo

1959       Ben Hur   Breathless

1960       The Apartment   Psycho

1961       West Side Story

1962       Lawrence of Arabia

1963       Tom Jones  8 1/2

1964       My Fair Lady    Dr. Strangelove

1965      The Sound of Music

1966      A Man For All Seasons  The Battle of Algiers

1967       Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner?  The Graduate

1968      Oliver!  2001: A Space Odyssey

1969       Midnight Cowboy  Easy Rider

1970       Patton   M*A*S*H

1971      The French Connection   A Clockwork Orange

1972       The Godfather

1973       The Sting   The Exorcist

1974       The Godfather Part II  Blazing Saddles

1975       One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest   Jaws

1976       Rocky

1977       Annie Hall   Star Wars

1978       The Deer Hunter   Days of Heaven

1979       Kramer vs. Kramer   Apocalypse Now

1980       Ordinary People   Raging Bull

1981       Chariots of Fire   Raiders of the Lost Ark

1982       Gandhi   E.T

1983      Terms of Endearment   The Right Stuff

1984      Amadeus   This Is Spinal Tap!

1985       Out of Africa   Back to the Future

1986       Platoon

1987       The Last Emperor   Full Metal Jacket

1988       Rain Man   Cinema Paradiso

1989       Driving Miss Daisy   Do the Right Thing

1990       Dance With Wolves   Goodfellas

1991       The Silence of the Lambs

1992      Unforgiven

1993      Schinder’s List

1994      Forrest Gump   The Shawshank Redemption

1995     Braveheart  Toy Story

1996      The English Patient   Fargo

1997      Titanic

1998       Shakespeare in Love   Saving Private Ryan

1999       American Beauty

2000       Gladiator   In the Mood For Love

2001       A Beautiful Mind   Amelle

2002       Chicago   City of God

2003       The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

2004       Million Dollar Baby   Downfall

2005       Crash   Brokeback Mountain

2006      The Departed   Pan’s Labyrinth

2007      No Country For Old Men

2008       Slumdog Milliionaire   Let the Right One In

2009       The Hurt Locker   Up In The Air

2010       The King’s Speech  The Social Network

2011       The Artist

2012      Argo

2013       Twelve Years a Slave  American Hustle

2014      Boyhood

1930/31 Cimarron     City Lights

1943       Casablanca

1972       The Godfather

1976       Rocky

1982       Gandhi   E.T

1986       Platoon

1992      Unforgiven

1997      Titanic

2011       The Artist

2012      Argo

2014      Boyhood

About halfway through this, I wondered what the point was, but I didn't want to be like the Marx Brothers after they'd run out of gas halfway across the ocean.  So What the H e l l, here's the whole list.   You can see that he didn't agree with too many of the original choices, and that pretty much every genre was represented.  You'll note that he combined categories, which means that some of these movies wouldn't have even been eligible for "Best Picture" in the first place, but so what?  Restricting "Best Picture" to domestic movies has always been a strange sort of affirmative action that Hollywood films shouldn't need.

1927/28: Wings / Sunrise        The General

1928/29:  The Broadway Melody   The Man with a Movie Camera

1927/28: Wings / Sunrise    Wings / Sunrise     The General

1928/29:  The Broadway Melody The Broadway Melody   The Man with a Movie Camera

1929/30   All Quiet on the Western Front

1930/31 Cimarron  Cimarron   City Lights

1943       Casablanca

1972       The Godfather

1976       Rocky

1982       Gandhi   E.T

1986       Platoon

1992      Unforgiven

1997      Titanic

2011       The Artist

2012      Argo

2014      Boyhood

Let's look at this alternate oscar list:

Oscar Best Pictures that are actually the best Picture:  8

On this revised list: 20

Changes that are an improvement:  49

Changes that are for the worse:  12

And what does that tell us about the integrity of the award?

That it's an industry contrivance for the benefit of certain approved people - and that, for other than those who profit from that contrivance, it's pointless.

"Soma" for star-watchers.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings