Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Funny line in White Heat

NipkowDisc

I've thought this for a long time.
Cody Jarrett's in a rubber room strait-jacketed after hearing his maw's dead. he's already turned down two offerings of grub tellin' the guy to try it on the warden and governor. he then feigns hunger as cover for the break. the ay-whole doctor then remarks "hunger is always a hopeful sign."
I've always asked myself upon hearing that line of dialogue, a hopeful sign for what? :huh:
James Cagney is cody jarrett, a lifelong criminal and psychopathic killer. again, a hopeful sign for what??? :huh: that jarrett might escape the ravages of mental illness and go on to become a useful member of society in his later years? :lol:
like maybe a fireman, mailman or a youth counselor? :) this is how bureaucrats and intellectuals think...even in 1950!
who the hell would think in terms of a cold-blooded psychopathic murderer going on to become a useful participant in human society?...

but real ay-wholes...

maybe a mentally healthy reformed jarrett could find verna and they can start a family? :lol:

anyway, I've always found that line of dialogue unintentionally silly.

I've thought this for a long time.

Cody Jarrett's in a rubber room strait-jacketed after hearing his maw's dead. he's already turned down two offerings of grub tellin' the guy to try it on the warden and governor. he then feigns hunger as cover for the break. the ay-whole doctor then remarks "hunger is always a hopeful sign."

I've always asked myself upon hearing that line of dialogue, a hopeful sign for what? :huh:

James Cagney is cody jarrett, a lifelong criminal and psychopathic killer. again, a hopeful sign for what??? :huh: that jarrett might escape the ravages of mental illness and go on to become a useful member of society in his later years? :lol:

like maybe a fireman, mailman or a youth counselor? :) this is how bureaucrats and intellectuals think...even in 1950!

who the hell would think in terms of a cold-blooded psychopathic murderer going on to become a useful participant in human society?...

but real ay-wholes...

maybe a mentally healthy reformed jarrett could find verna and they can start a family? :lol:

anyway, I've always found that line of dialogue unintentionally silly.

I never noticed that one quote before, but yes, there was a period in time probably 1945-1965 when there were quite a few people who thought that anybody could be rehabilitated. If you want to see a film that displays this viewpoint from start to finish watch "Steel Jungle" from 1956. It is about a small time bookie barely out of his teens with a pregnant wife who ends up in prison. The prison psychiatrist believes he can fix anybody! At one point in the film he is challenged on that viewpoint by the warden and the psychiatrist says that - in reference to an inmate who is as cold a killer as Cody Jarrett, not the bookie  - that his therapy is too late to help the guy. The guy was a killer, he enjoyed killing - you aren't going to cure that with talk and chocolate sundaes. Only later when violence began to hit the suburbs - maybe even starting with Charles Manson's cult killings in 1969 - did people begin to think that building more prisons and throwing away the key might be best. From the falling crime rate over the last 25 years apparently that is the case. I think there is also another reason for the fall in violent crime, but I'd likely start a storm of controversy and get kicked off the boards if I said what I think that reason is.

I never noticed that one quote before, but yes, there was a period in time probably 1945-1965 when there were quite a few people who thought that anybody could be rehabilitated. If you want to see a film that displays this viewpoint from start to finish watch "Steel Jungle" from 1956. It is about a small time bookie barely out of his teens with a pregnant wife who ends up in prison. The prison psychiatrist believes he can fix anybody! At one point in the film he is challenged on that viewpoint by the warden and the psychiatrist says that - in reference to an inmate who is as cold a killer as Cody Jarrett, not the bookie  - that his therapy is too late to help the guy. The guy was a killer, he enjoyed killing - you aren't going to cure that with talk and chocolate sundaes. Only later when violence began to hit the suburbs - maybe even starting with Charles Manson's cult killings in 1969 - did people begin to think that building more prisons and throwing away the key might be best. From the falling crime rate over the last 25 years apparently that is the case. I think there is also another reason for the fall in violent crime, but I'd likely start a storm of controversy and get kicked off the boards if I said what I think that reason is.

well put. I think that some erroneously attribute every evil criminal act by the er...human animal (they like that term) :) to ignorance. in other words, if you inform a psychopath that the murders he contemplates are uh... not nice :D,he will automatically not want to commit them. silly. some people commit violence for two reasons unrelated to either insanity or ignorance...

1. they like it and 2. they just don't give a dam whether their acts are good or evil. the disconnected intellectual arrogantly assumes that all violent and negative acts are committed purely out of ignorance. (if only that were true) remove ignorance and not a single mother's son or daughter will commit a single negative act.

that silliness might have validity on sesame street but not in the real world. :)

• Like 1

A common symptom of schizophrenia is refusal to eat. Several delusions prompt that behaviour. They may believe that some person is trying to poison them or that they receive all necessary nourishment from air or sunlight or many other reasons.

I remember reading of one person who refused all food provided by hospital. His reason was that he had been commanded to eat only food grown, cooked and brought to him by historic personage. He said that this personage visited him several times each day and provided him with lavish meals. For him to eat food provided by hospital would show that he did not have faith that personage would supply all his needs. I remember this well because that historic personage was known for poisoning people!

For schizophrenic to begin accepting food could be seen as sign that delusions are abating.

Actually, what that psychiatrist shoulda said was, "A BIG appetite really helps."

Remember this moment in White Heat soon after the prison break when Cody has a little appetite?

Cody's no dummy, showing that he could both chew and shoot at the same time. Chicken leg in one hand, gun in the other, he plugs a helpless victim trapped inside a car trunk.

whiteheat35_zpsf586703e.jpg

But if Cody had been really hungry that day and had had a whole bird to eat, there wouldn't have been room for that gun in one of his hands. I can just see Jarrett chomping down with both hands on that bird ("Aw, Maw, nobody cooks better chicken than you. Always looking out for your Cody."). A now satisfied Cody, rubbing his big chicken swollen belly, would been in a less cranky frame of mind, certainly not in the mood to ventilate a car trunk.

I'm surprised that the cops in White Heat never figured this one out. Just find out where Jarrett is staying. No need then to possibly get the G Men or cops shot full of holes.  Just keep sending Cody gadzillions of buckets of Kentucky Fried, and he wouldn't have had the time to plot any oil refinery robberies or go on murderous rampages.

Just a theory, mind you. It's possible, I suppose, that I could be wrong. :rolleyes:

C'mon now, good ole Cody was just trying to be a pal. Poor Parker, who was playing hide and seek, thought that the car trunk was a good hiding place.  But Parker didn't realize how hot and stuffy it is hiding in a car trunk. So he asked Cody for a little air, and Cody obliged.  Its unfortunate Cody just didn't think to open the trunk. :P

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings