Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Too many films are released each year, says British Film Institute

MovieMadness

A total of 698 films were released at the cinema in 2013, according to the latest BFI Statistical Yearbook released yesterday, 51 more than the previous year and double the level at the turn of the century (2000).

“There are too many films being released. That number is ridiculous, and the fact it keeps going up is not sustainable. There’s just too much stuff out there.”

By my math 698 is almost two movies released every day, 365 days a year. So you would spend 5 to 6 hours every day just watching the newest ones released, every day, 7 days a week. Almost a full-time job in itself.

Can this pace keep up?

Interesting topic. You also have to factor in all the films that were made before a person was born, if you want to get caught up on previous trends in filmmaking and overall cinematic history.

Then there are times when you may want to watch a movie again (a second or third time) because it's a favorite or guilty viewing pleasure. That is going to cut into the hours that might be spent on other, not-yet-seen films.

I’ve heard in a couple of old movies and documentaries that there were about 130-140 million people in the US during the time of WW II, and now there are more than 310 million people in the US.

Back in those old days, in a medium-sized to large city, we had a theater for every major Hollywood studio, and many independent theaters, so, while going to the movies once a week, with most films changed out every week in each theater, we could not possibly see all the films that were being made in Hollywood.

In some small towns we had only one small theater, and they would show about 4 films a week, in two groups of double features, such as B films during the weekdays and evenings, and major films on Fri, Sat, and Sunday nights, with separate B films during the daytime on Friday, Sat, and Sunday. So we were limited to 4 films a week in those small towns, while Hollywood was turning out a dozen or more films a week.

A total of 698 films were released at the cinema in 2013, according to the latest BFI Statistical Yearbook released yesterday, 51 more than the previous year and double the level at the turn of the century (2000).

“There are too many films being released. That number is ridiculous, and the fact it keeps going up is not sustainable. There’s just too much stuff out there.”

By my math 698 is almost two movies released every day, 365 days a year. So you would spend 5 to 6 hours every day just watching the newest ones released, every day, 7 days a week. Almost a full-time job in itself.

Can this pace keep up?

That's world wide. I only can watch movies in English language. Bollywood has been  the most films for a long time. Some stars will films as many as five movies at a time travelling from set to set.

You have to realize every country has their own film industry. With 7 billion people, that's a lot of languages, countries and movie goers.

That's world wide. I only can watch movies in English language. Bollywood has been  the most films for a long time. Some stars will films as many as five movies at a time travelling from set to set.

You have to realize every country has their own film industry. With 7 billion people, that's a lot of languages, countries and movie goers.

Where are you getting your numbers from? As far as I can tell the 698 number is for English, Bollywood does over 1000 movies by itself so that is 1700 or so.

I did look up how many early silents were made and surprisingly it got close to 1000 too if this is accurate.

1908: 1 feature

1909: 2 features

1910: 0 features

1911: 0 features

1912: 8 features

1913: 56 features

1914: 342 features

1915: 342 features

1916: 835 features

1917: 936 features

1918: 836 features

1919: 763 features

1920: 741 features

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings