Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tombstone

Sepiatone

One of my favorite westerns is TOMBSTONE starring Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer from 1993.

But, tonight, The HISTORY CHANNEL is showing a movie IT simply lists as TOMBSTONE but THIS one goes back to 1942!  It stars Richard Dix and Kent Taylor.

I had no idea the 1993 flick was a remake but after looking it up, I discovered it's whole title is :

TOMBSTONE--The Town Too tough to die......

As of this writing, it hasn't yet aired, and I'm still not sure I'll look in.  But if'n I do, I'll let y'all know what I thought of it!

Sepiatone

• Like 1

WHOA!  I had to do a "search" for this thread!  What gives?

After all, it wasn't my fault that The History Channel fudged up and played the 1993 TOMBSTONE instead!

MY cable grid STILL told me I was watching the 1942 movie TOMBSTONE The Town Too Tough to die! 

So, I'm STILL disappointed, and wondering just WHAT in the heck they were UP to?  Or, did someone at my CABLE service get mixed up?

But then I don't think there's ANYone working THERE who'd first off think of a 1942 movie with that title and post it by mistake.  Most of the techs and others I ever get ahold of there whenever I call sound as if 1942 was BFORE their parents were born!

Plus, I MIGHT have gotten some info as to wether or not TCM has ever shown the old one before, INSTEAD of some PRESUMPTUOUS Administrator shuttling my WHOLE THREAD off into some sort of LIMBO!  Where they'd GET these "yashkoos"?  from FACEBOOK?

Sepiatone

Sepiatone

NObody knows anything on that 1942 flick?

Sepiatone

What do you want to know about this 1942 movie?   It was a Paramount release.   Wyatt Earp is the main character and the film features the Earp brothers and Doc Holliday and has a O.K. Corral scene.    So to me the 1993 Tombstone isn't a remake of this movie,  but instead just another in a long line of Earp brother \ Doc movies.    

I would say the Lancaster \ Douglas film is closer in structure to the 1942 Tombstone than the 1993 Tombstone is.

I also love Tombstone, 1993 and have never heard of the one made in 1942, I personally would love to see it. I am a fan

of Doc Holiday, Wyatt Earp, and others. I would love to know when "TOMBSTONE--The Town Too tough to die"

is playing so I can tape it.  :D 

What do you want to know about this 1942 movie?   It was a Paramount release.   Wyatt Earp is the main character and the film features the Earp brothers and Doc Holliday and has a O.K. Corral scene.    So to me the 1993 Tombstone isn't a remake of this movie,  but instead just another in a long line of Earp brother \ Doc movies.    

I would say the Lancaster \ Douglas film is closer in structure to the 1942 Tombstone than the 1993 Tombstone is.

The first thing I'd want to know is;  Is it worth the WATCH? 

And.....I AM kinda curious as to what role EDGAR BUCHANAN  had in it!  Up until now(and until I finally SEE this one) SHANE is the earliest work of Buchanan's I've seen.  Always DID kinda like "Uncle Joe".

Sepiatone

The first thing I'd want to know is;  Is it worth the WATCH? 

And.....I AM kinda curious as to what role EDGAR BUCHANAN  had in it!  Up until now(and until I finally SEE this one) SHANE is the earliest work of Buchanan's I've seen.  Always DID kinda like "Uncle Joe".

Sepiatone

Buchanan was in a few movies with Jean Arthur prior to Tombstone;  Too Many Husbands and Arizona.   Right after Tombstone he has a good part in Talk of the Town; a fine Jean Arthur \ Cary Grant \ Roland Colman movie.      So I assume Buchanan was under contact with Columbia.   

Yea,  it would be great if TCM was to show this 1942 version of the Earp saga.

Also in 1941, Buchanan played in a goofy western Texas in which he played a town dentist. The tooth-pulling scene is amusing so long as you firmly keep in mind that it's just a movie. Otherwise you think the guy might have better off with the toothache. Edgar was pretty good. There was a touch of WC Fields in that performance. It made me think he might have done better in the movies. He might have developed that.

=

Also in 1941, Buchanan played in a goofy western Texas in which he played a town dentist. The tooth-pulling scene is amusing so long as you firmly keep in mind that it's just a movie. Otherwise you think the guy might have better off with the toothache. Edgar was pretty good. There was a touch of WC Fields in that performance. It made me think he might have done better in the movies. He might have developed that.

=

Yea,  Texas stars a very young and fresh William Holden and Glenn Ford.    The movie didn't do much to help either of their careers but I guess one could also say at least it didn't derail their careers.

Best thing about the movie is Claire Trevor. 

Oh, and while I write this the 1993 Tombstone is on the History channel. 

Edgar Buchanan is one of the sailors in1940's The Sea Hawk.  You hear him before you see him and there's no mistaking that voice.

I finally got to see Tombstone a few weeks ago and liked it more than Wyatt Earp although I enjoy that one too.  Earp was no saint and this film shows that along with his good qualities.  Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer nailed Earp and Holliday making us like them despite their shortcomings.  I recommend it highly.

=

Old Edgar should look like he knew what he was doing when he said "Open wider". he was a practicing dentist in real life and he played a dentist a few times in reel life. He turned the practice over to his wife when he made his first film in 1939. He appeared in quite a few films with his good friend Glenn Ford. Edgar had  one of those rare Hollywood marriages, him, and his wife were married 51 years till his death..One of his best early Westerns was "The Desperadoes" with Randolph {chorus please } Scott and Glenn Ford, Claire Trevor. It's the first Technicolor film Columbia made in the early 1940's..

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings