Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Voice (Who Isn't Ronald Colman)

nickdimeo

Hi Deborah

thanks for trying to remind me by trying to post. Yes i

agree paul Winfield on A&E is so sorely missed! Read all

of your posts particularly the post you made at BOAN I

agree with you.We have to know past history of films or

past history of anything events, wars, political seasons,

so that we can learn from past mistakes and hope we as a

nation don't repeat our mistakes and learn from them.

Regardless of gender, stereotypes, and racism we must learn that humanity can't bear to keep harping and tearing down genders, stereotypes, and racism or will

be a nation that ultimately destroys its self esteem

and pride. Individuality is what has made this nation

great in diversity we have growth and strenght as a

nation. We are strong enough as a nation to appreciate

D.W. Griffith's Birth Of a Nation film to appreciate it as an excellent piece of film lore of its time. To learn

about racism at its core in the south. To Teach us and

people of the cinematic future what not to do in regards

to racism and hopefully by God's grace to abide by its

teachings for our future nation.(Forgive me for posting it here got on a roll and couldn't stop) lolite.

(Why is it calling me a guest? I'm having the same login problem as Deborah and several others, ugh.)

Anyway, Claude Rains is my absolute favorite. I'm glad someone else mentioned him. (Are you a member of the Claude Rains yahoo group?) After seeing A Tale of Two Cities a few days ago, though, I must admit that Ronald Colman ties with him. Here are my other favorites, in no particular order:

Gregory Peck (not all great voices are English!)

George Sanders

Vincent Price

Basil Rathbone

Orson Welles

For pure coolness (sorry, I'm a teen), I must add Peter Lorre, George C. Scott, and Al Pacino.

Hi, Britbrain1:

All of those people you picked have wonderful voices. I am also partial to Errol Flynn's voice. Then there is Duke Wayne. As I mentioned earlier, Richard Basehart is another one with a great voice

The truth of the matter is, most of the oldtime actors had memorable voices, or else they would not have become stars. Today, as I said in another thread, all of the stars are interchangeable, as well as their voices. Then again, when you have such great intellectually-challenging words as dude and awesome to utter from one's mouth, why does the voice or anything else need to be memorable.

Speaking of memorable voices, I'm thinking of someone else with a memorable voice who narrated a documentry recently, Morgan Freeman.

I noticed in another post, I had started mentioning him, but then did not finish my thought. It was late at night when I did it. Anyway, what I was going to say on the other thread that there is something very wrong with American cinema when the best film out that week is a documentary on penguins.

Don't get me wrong. I love penguins. This was just a commentary on the state of cinema today.

Speaking of Morgan Freeman, how about Clint Eastwood's voice saying, "Go ahead, make my day." Now there is a guy with persona.

Take care.

Dborah

Ladies:

Ingrid Bergman

Greer Garson

Claudette Colbert

Greta Garbo

Marlene Dietrich

Joan Bennett

Myrna Loy

Deborah Kerr

Anne Baxter

Gents:

Cary Grant

William Powell

Gregory Peck

Dana Andrews

Robert Taylor

Claude Rains

Errol Flynn

Yul Brynner

Robert Mitchum

~Actors~

James Cagney

Dana Andrews

Robert Mitchum

Yul Brynner

John Wayne

William Holden

Orson Welles

Cary Grant

Gregory Peck

Claude Rains

John Garfield

Ronald Coleman (lol)

~Actresses~

Jean Arthur

Joan Blondell

Katherine Hepburn

Bette Davis

Rita Hayworth

Myrna Loy

Olivia de Havilland

Irene Dunne

Ginger Rogers

Claudette Colbert

Good topic-I love Errol Flynn's voice so much! Also agree with Orson Welles, and James Earl Jones,George Sanders,Yul Brynner-Ronald Colman WAS the king of voices,though!

For the ladies,I have less of a preference-I would say Bacall,Crawford and Grace Kelly have the most pleasing voices,with Audrey Hepburn included!

There are so many, but I'll try to narrow it down:

ACTORS:

Robert Stack, George Sanders, Clark Gable, Orson Welles, Robert Mitchum, Paul Newman, James Cagney

ACTRESSES:

Jean Harlow, Norma Shearer, Carole Lombard, Lauren Bacall, Deanna Durbin (I listed her not just for her speaking voice, but her singing talent. I think she had one of the most beautiful voices out of all the musical stars of the 1940's)

NOTE: My younger step-brother said I should mention Jean Hagen in "Singin' In The Rain" for her very memorable and funny voice! :-)

Hi,

An old "Perry Mason" TV show was on this afternoon and in it was Eleanor Audley.

Her low contralto voice is certainly distinct and instantly recognizeable - she played the 'wicked step-mother' in Disney's "Cinderella"..

Can't you hear her now -- "CINDERELLA!!!".......

Larry

One of my all time favorite voices is that of Mason Adams. He began many years ago in radio and occasionally we see him on TV. He has been a spokesman for SMUCKERS jams for many years. I also love the following: Charles Laughton, Geraldine Fitzgerald,Barbara Stanwyck, Audrey Hepburn, Suzanne Pleshette, Flora Robson, Jessica Walter and Ruth Roman. Among the men I love James Earl Jones, Brock Peters, Paul Robeson,Sir Ralph Richardson, Robert Donat and Oliver Reed.

RG

RG, mannnnny years I ago I used to swoon over Mason Adams voice. He did voiceovers in commercials for-ever!

Then he happened to take a part in The Lou Grant Show and suffice it to say, although pleasant looking, the voice did not match the looks.

Another loooong time voiceover artist is Joseph Sirola. Again, another instance of voice not matching the looks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...