Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Trivial Observation

misswonderly3

Ok, this is not an earth-shattering thread topic, but I was checking out the TCM line-up for tomorrow (that is, Sunday February 22) morning, and saw a whole whack of science fiction movies listed as "Horror".

"Horror"? What's up with that? They're all, clearly, sci-fi of one kind or another.

Now, I'm not big on genre-identification (or even gendre identification), but I do think when a movie's "category" is obvious, like "2001: A Space Odyssey" , someone's not doing their job as a "genre" identifier.

Maybe a robot did it. Now, that would be sci-fi-ish.

Ok, this is not an earth-shattering thread topic, but I was checking out the TCM line-up for tomorrow (that is, Sunday February 22) morning, and saw a whole whack of science fiction movies listed as "Horror".

"Horror"? What's up with that? They're all, clearly, sic-fi of one kind or another.

Now, I'm not big on genre-identification (or even gendre identification), but I do think when a movie's "category" is obvious, like "2001: A Space Odyssey" , someone's not doing their job as a "genre" identifier.

it's very simple...and quite obvious.

tcm doesn't give a flying phu k about the science fiction genre so what's it to them if they mislabel it. :D

Well, Norman was a taxidermist, wasn't he? I suppose that they learn how to stuff dead creatures, including one's mother, in such a way that there's no decomposition (therefore no stench.)

There's no way Psycho is sci-fi, anymore than there's any way The Time Machine is "horror".

Seriously, it really does make me think that the "classification" of film genre task is done by robots.

If not, they should give the job to me. I'd soon sort them out proper.

I suppose this is on DirecTV not TCM, but the on screen description

of Psycho had it listed as Sci-Fi/Horror. Hmmm. Maybe the sci-fi

part was having Mrs. Bates' stuffed corpse in the house for ten years

and it not stinking up the house to a nauseous degree. PU+. :wacko:

I can see the logic of having a category called Sci-Fi/Horror.    Why?  Well it both cases the films deal with something that is unnatural.  Typically this something is a being that doesn't exist (as far as we know),  in the real world.    e.g.  Creatures from Mars and Vampires.

So in the interest of not having too many separate categories I can see mixing those two together (similar to how we see crime\gangster\noir often mixed).      

As for Psycho;  Well to me this isn't a horror film but just a drama.  There isn't anything supernatural going on in the movie.   Norman is just a man with a mental illness.     But The Birds;  well that one is harder to label.    One could say there isn't anything supernatural going on (e.g. the birds are not supersized),  but the behavior of the birds is clearly unnatural.   So I can see why some would label that film a horror film.

...The Birds;  well that one is harder to label.    One could say there isn't anything supernatural going on (e.g. the birds are not supersized),  but the behavior of the birds is clearly unnatural.   So I can see why some would label that film a horror film.

Sure, I can see The Birds falling into any number of genre categories. We can just wing it with this one. (Sorry, that was atrocious...)

But I just started this thread to comment specifically on the genre listings for films being aired tomorrow morning. Clearly it's a science fiction theme going on, yet they're all labelled "Horror".  The Birds, soaring example of film making though it is, is not on that particular schedule.

(Still, if anyone wants to turn this into a general discussion about film genres thread, go ahead. I categorically approve.)

Sure, I can see The Birds falling into any number of genre categories. We can just wing it with this one. (Sorry, that was atrocious...)

But I just started this thread to comment specifically on the genre listings for films being aired tomorrow morning. Clearly it's a science fiction theme going on, yet they're all labelled "Horror".  The Birds, soaring example of film making though it is, is not on that particular schedule.

(Still, if anyone wants to turn this into a general discussion about film genres thread, go ahead. I categorically approve.)

No disagreement from me that labeling the films on the schedule as horror when they are clearly sci-fi is flat out wrong.

I was only addressing Vautrin's point relate to the use of "Sci-Fi/Horror" and that, at least to me,  mixing these two genres has a logical basis for the reason I explained.       BUT if one is only going to use Sci-Fi or Horror,  of course use them correctly and this wasn't done with that schedule. 

just caught the tail end of "when dinosaurs ruled the earth", which according to the TCM schedule was a black and white musical.

(I'm not kidding.)

sadly, I must have missed the musical numbers but what I saw was most definitely in color.

pS: What the hell did this pile of crap get an Oscar nomination for?

just caught the tail end of "when dinosaurs ruled the earth", which according to the TCM schedule was a black and white musical.

(I'm not kidding.)

sadly, I must have missed the musical numbers but what I saw was most definitely in color.

pS: What the hell did this pile of crap get an Oscar nomination for?

Costumes (or lack thereof)?  Make-up?  Watched parts of it during commercials on Mad Men.  Everybody seemed to have oily or wet bodies almost all the time and almost never had sand or dirt on themselves even though living on a beach.

Actually I think it was for the special effects dinosaurs and they did look pretty good.

BTW, TCM shows movies that were nominated for AA's, not just the ones that won an AA.

In Now Playing guide, it was supposed to be One Million B.C. from 1940 and the daytime category was Science Fiction.  Now Playing lumps horror and sci-fi into one genre.

Hmmm...then this might explain the time I saw the movie "Sideways" listed on DirectTV as both a "film noir" and a "pinot noir"!

(...and no, I don't drink no f*****g Merlot EITHER...well okay, sometimes with cheese and crackers while at parties, but that's the ONLY time)

• Like 1

"Horror"? What's up with that? They're all, clearly, sci-fi of one kind or another.

Perhaps the laxness (funny tale about that word to follow) is in TCM's oversight( or lack thereof) and somebody got away with editorializing!

Could be, THEIR  opinion was that they're "horror"---as in....The "horror" is in that they're that BAD!  ;)

About that word.....

A boss of mine liked to use the word "laxness" a lot.  And one time, he was complaining that too much bad quality stock got by the inspectors and left the department.  He quipped, "We got attacked by the "laxness" monster!"  :D

Sepiatone

About that word.....

A boss of mine liked to use the word "laxness" a lot.  And one time, he was complaining that too much bad quality stock got by the inspectors and left the department.  He quipped, "We got attacked by the "laxness" monster!" 

I once heard Bugs Bunny tell Elmer Fudd to "unlax".

Well, Norman was a taxidermist, wasn't he? I suppose that they learn how to stuff dead creatures, including one's mother, in such a way that there's no decomposition (therefore no stench.)

There's no way Psycho is sci-fi, anymore than there's any way The Time Machine is "horror".

Seriously, it really does make me think that the "classification" of film genre task is done by robots.

If not, they should give the job to me. I'd soon sort them out proper.

In THE CATERED AFFAIR, wasn't Borgnine's character also a taxidermist?

In THE CATERED AFFAIR, wasn't Borgnine's character also a taxidermist?

In The Catered Affair, Borgnine worked as a cab driver.  Most of the tension between his character and Bette Davis' is that Borgnine has saved up $4,000 to invest in purchasing a cab medallion so that he could operate his own cab company, and Davis wants to spend that money on a big wedding for daughter Debbie Reynolds.

I'm always a bit bemused by the fact that 2001: A Space Odyssey is classified as "HORROR" on the schedule.

Unless you find abject boredom and glacial pacing to be terrifying, there isn't a whole lot there that one would call "horrific."

(Oh snap, that's right, I did it: I brought up 2001, we're gonna be at each other's throats in a few hours.)

(I'm not kidding.)

In another thread I pointed out that CHITTY CHIITY BANG BANG was decribed as B/W in its entry on th TCM schedule.

I also saw that THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH AND ESSEX was described as B/W.

I'm pretty sure that movie was in vivid color --- unless I just projecting my own color concepts on Bette Davis's hair when I saw the movie.

I'm always a bit bemused by the fact that 2001: A Space Odyssey is classified as "HORROR" on the schedule.

Unless you find abject boredom and glacial pacing to be terrifying, there isn't a whole lot there that one would call "horrific."

Is Kubrick's EYES WIDE SHUT also classified as horror?

I know those piano notes scare the sh*t out of me.

"There are no trivial  observations, just trivial observers".  (Not sure where I read that, maybe  Oscar Wilde, or was it Shaw? ) :)

I made the trivial observation of how exactly was the laptop interfaced to the alien mainframe in "Independence Day".  USB, wireless, COM port, SCSI...???  I didn't know Office Depot had an Alien to Windows 95/ Mac conversion kit. -_-

The only constant in the universe is man's arrogance.

250047-movie-independence-day.jpg

6199851464_1d739e03a3.jpg

alien_hardware.jpg