Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

IVY starring...Joan Fontaine??

Yes, I have seen it.  It's pretty good and I think you'd like it.  It's a costumer film noir.  Joan is quite good in the film.  She hits just the right note as a femme fatale.  She also plays a femme fatale in Nicholas Ray's Born to Be Bad.  That's a film I'm not that crazy about.  I like Ivy much more.

Yes, she starred in IVY and BORN TO BE BAD. Plus in SOMETHING TO LIVE FOR, she plays a boozing actress who sleeps with a married man. Then there's VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (obviously not a noir) where she appears as another woman of questionable morals. She was not afraid to go against type.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information and movie suggestions.  Ive just never thought of her as  as a femme fatale or even a woman who was "bad" (the only movie Ive seen her in that came close was Letter from an Unknown Woman in which she was more stupid and selfish than "bad"). I'll have to check and see if any of those are due on TCM anytime soon.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information and movie suggestions.  Ive just never thought of her as  as a femme fatale or even a woman who was "bad" (the only movie Ive seen her in that came close was Letter from an Unknown Woman in which she was more stupid and selfish than "bad"). I'll have to check and see if any of those are due on TCM anytime soon.

Joan is also in the noir Kiss the Blood off my Hands with Burt Lancaster.   While Joan isn't a femme fatale or 'bad' women Burt and her become involved in some criminal activity.  

Let us know what you think about her other films/performances. I wouldn't mind seeing Fontaine as Star of the Month. I think she's been selected before, but it's been a long time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_%28film%29

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/79611/Ivy/

Has anyone ever seen this? I had no idea that Joan Fontaine had ever played a femme fatale.

Joan in BORN TO BE BAD. she does play a femme fatale in the sense that she steals her cousins fiance, lies, and cheats on her husband. She's a very unsavory character in this one. great cast. TCM shows this one a few times a year, so watch out for it. I've requested IVY about a hundred times over the years. It was on youtube for awhile but it's gone now. Wish everyone would request IVY, haven't seen this one in decades.

Surprised no one mentioned Joan in BORN TO BE BAD. she does play a femme fatale in the sense that she steals her cousins fiance, lies, and cheats on her husband. She's a very unsavory character in this one. Fun film, great cast. TCM shows this one a few times a year, so watch out fot it.

Well TopBilled did mention Born to be Bad a few days ago.    Yea,  interesting role for Joan.   While her character kind of has the Joan screen persona we are use to (soft spoken,  shyly confused,,,,),   the inter Joan is a very unsavory character.    One could also say that Robert Ryan was cast against type in this film as well.       It is also a treat to see Joan Leslie in a more mature role.

Well TopBilled did mention Born to be Bad a few days ago.    Yea,  interesting role for Joan.   While her character kind of has the Joan screen persona we are use to (soft spoken,  shyly confused,,,,),   the inter Joan is a very unsavory character.    One could also say that Robert Ryan was cast against type in this film as well.       It is also a treat to see Joan Leslie in a more mature role.

I had corrected my post but you seemed to jump on it before I corrected it james! I noticed that Frank Grimes posted Born to Be Bad. I love Zachary Scott, so it's always a treat to see him in a film. I think Zach was more cast against type than R Ryan in this one. ( Ryan is sort of the bad guy/turned moral guy in this one)Ryan in Crossfire and Beware My Lovely are not exactly what I'd call good guys, whereas Zach has played the slimey type often and in this one he's the one that's fooled by Joan. I do agree with you about Joan Leslie, although in The Hard Way, she toughens up in that one as well.

ps I've edited this post in case it's quoted before the edit shows ;)

I had corrected my post but you seemed to jump on it before I corrected it james! I noticed that Frank Grimes posted Born to Be Bad. I love Zachary Scott, so it's always a treat to see him in a film. I think Zach was more cast against type than R Ryan in this one. Ryan in Crossfire and Beware My Lovely are not exactly what I'd call good guys LOL, whereas Zach has played the slimey type often and in this one he's the one that's fooled by Joan.

Maybe it depends on what Zach movies I have last seen since Zach was versatile.   His roles in movies like The Unfaithful and Flamingo Road as the unhappy married man are similar to that in Born to be Bad.   But yea,  Zach also played some very unsavory types (e.g. Mildred Pierce)  As for Ryan;   I meant that his casting as an author is somewhat 'out there'.    I just don't see Ryan as someone writing prose.  

Either way a very different movie for Joan.     Also Mel Ferrer brings a degree of lightless to the film.  It might have been too dark without his character.

• Like 1