Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is Close Encounters Of The Third Kind narcissistic?

NipkowDisc

I think it is somewhat. roy neary has a ufo encounter and looses his cookies. he looses his job, upsets teri garr who plays his wonderful wife, eventually destroying his nice home's outside shrubbery, steals his neighbor's chicken wire goose enclosure and then shovels dirt into his kitchen sink.
so his wife understandably piles the kids into the station wagon and puts distance between her and his idiocies.
the boob follows his dream to the big finale on top of devil's tower in wyoming and he's off!...
giving absolutely no thought whatsoever to what his wife and children are to think years later. like he cares. he's gonna take a space ride! :)
all of that a narcissistic binge or what?

thanks I think are in order to those little rubbery chaps for removing such a silly ay-whole from the earth. :lol:

oh, and that scene where all the technicians are praying before their big departure was lifted, in my opinion, from above and beyond.

nytgch.jpg

Neary's obsession with the encounter and the psycological suggestion implanted in his head is FAR from narcissism.  He is filled with a driving need to sate his curiosity, even to the point of flying off into space,( of course, we all assume,  and probably mistakenly, that the government officials in charge of the "project" will notify and see to the care and comfort of his family), and leaving his Earthbound life behind him.  You could, I suppose, see it more as self indulgent , but not neccesarily narcisstic.

Sepiatone

Obsession with something outside of oneself is not the same thing as narcissism.

Narcissism is believing that you deserve attention all the time because you are just that special. Narcissists have a need for attention and praise beyond what's usual for most.

well, my understanding is that narcissism is a more extreme word for selfishness. at the end neary is only thinking about his big space ride and completely sets aside his responsibilities as a married family man because his wife refused to comfort his nutso behavior. most housewives are not gonna look past dirt in their kitchen sinks.

yeah, neary had an obsession but he did choose to make it all-encompassing to himself. he's talking to his wife on the phone, imploring her to return, pledging that he'll do whatever she wants...until he see devil's tower on the TV then he could give a rock's throw about the alienation from her and his kids.

obviously he considers his ufo experience more important than his family. what kinda message be that? :)

You obviously saw a different movie than most of America did...or in YOUR case, should that be 'murica?

Anyway, it was Neary's WIFE who refused to bend on the ufo thing, thinking all he need do is FORGET he had a deeply traumatizing experience, and just be the kind of husband SHE wanted him to be.    Remember, when he was going through what seemed like a classic nervous breakdown( the scene in the shower) and NEEDED her comfort and understanding, SHE flew into a rage about how HIS troubles are too much for HER to handle!  Don't forget---SHE was the one trying to come up with some kind of dumb-azz explanations as to why his FACE was burned on one side, for fear that other people might NOT think KINDLY of them or  her!  Now, THAT'S nacissism!

So, WHOM was first in being a less than good spouse THEN?

And, just wondering...did this somehow hit a personal note with you?

And, if you WERE paying attention, he HAD no "choice".  That'd be like saying my cousin CHOSE to be paranoid schizophrenic.

Sepiatone

Neary's life-altering experience in CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND is clearly meant as an allegory for a religious calling so if he is a narcissist then so too is anyone who rejects wordly concerns in pursuit of a connection to a higher spiritual power. 

Spielberg very deliberately designed the movie's final sequence---where the Earth humans finally connect with the aliens---to suggest a revelation of the truth of Neary's faith. 

I'm not an especially religious person myself, but I find the final sequence very moving. 

I think it is somewhat. roy neary has a ufo encounter and looses his cookies. he looses his job, upsets teri garr who plays his wonderful wife, eventually destroying his nice home's outside shrubbery, steals his neighbor's chicken wire goose enclosure and then shovels dirt into his kitchen sink.

so his wife understandably piles the kids into the station wagon and puts distance between her and his idiocies.

the boob follows his dream to the big finale on top of devil's tower in wyoming and he's off!...

giving absolutely no thought whatsoever to what his wife and children are to think years later. like he cares. he's gonna take a space ride! :)

all of that a narcissistic binge or what?

thanks I think are in order to those little rubbery chaps for removing such a silly ay-whole from the earth. :lol:

oh, and that scene where all the technicians are praying before their big departure was lifted, in my opinion, from above and beyond.

Dreyfus must had miss this on television or he would had second thoughts.

well, my understanding is that narcissism is a more extreme word for selfishness.

well, your understanding is inadequate - one might say substandard.

Even a rudimentary search for the word at dictionary.com would've alerted you to the basic meaning - that being: inordinate fascination with oneself; excessive self-love; vanity. Synonyms: self-centeredness, smugness, egocentrism.

Narcissism is clearly wrong and I don't think the underlying idea has much to do with religion either. The movie panders to the sentimental notion that we here on earth might have some deep down affinity with an alien, and it's dramatized with this enigmatic behavior of Neary (is that the name?) who apparently is riding the same wave length as our friend from up there. The movie, ET,  does something similar, yes? The what-came-from-outer-space is not out to terrorize us and kill us, they are actually friends, wow!

You obviously saw a different movie than most of America did...or in YOUR case, should that be 'murica?

Anyway, it was Neary's WIFE who refused to bend on the ufo thing, thinking all he need do is FORGET he had a deeply traumatizing experience, and just be the kind of husband SHE wanted him to be.    Remember, when he was going through what seemed like a classic nervous breakdown( the scene in the shower) and NEEDED her comfort and understanding, SHE flew into a rage about how HIS troubles are too much for HER to handle!  Don't forget---SHE was the one trying to come up with some kind of dumb-azz explanations as to why his FACE was burned on one side, for fear that other people might NOT think KINDLY of them or  her!  Now, THAT'S nacissism!

So, WHOM was first in being a less than good spouse THEN?

And, just wondering...did this somehow hit a personal note with you?

And, if you WERE paying attention, he HAD no "choice".  That'd be like saying my cousin CHOSE to be paranoid schizophrenic.

Sepiatone

oh c'mon. how is the woman suppose to react to dirt, rocks and plant material being chucked through the kitchen window by shovel?

he didn't even say "ronnie, I'll clean it all up later". :)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings