Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Finanal Jeopardy - "Water"

Did anyone happen to see "Jeopardy" tonight - Fri 8/26?

The final Jeopardy question was "This woman gave the innagural speech for "X &Z" College" in 1960 by starting with the following word: 'WATER'" - NOT ONE of the 3 contestants got it right! HELEN KELLER!!! See - there is another reason why classic movies are good for you - you have a better shot at "Final Jeopardy!" LOL!

Shaking her head - Madge

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 13 years later...

Just the other night there was a question in the Double Jeopardy round that went something like:

"These two stars of the 1940s' 'Road Pictures' can be remembered for riding a camel while on their way to Morocco."

And nope, once again not one of the three contestants had a clue.

(...guess none of 'em could hear me yellin' at my TV set, " 'Who's Hope and Crosby', you idiots!") ;)

8 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Just the other night there was a question in the Double Jeopardy round that went something like:

"These two stars of the 1940's 'Road Pictures' can be remembered for riding a camel while on their way to Morocco."

And nope, once again not one of the three contestants had a clue.

(...guess none of 'em could hear me yellin' at my TV set, " 'Who's Hope and Crosby', you idiots!")

The middle contestant, a young woman, rang in and guessed "Laurel & Hardy". There was a very audible guffaw from someone in the studio audience, and the young woman shot an angry look in their direction. It was amusing, as far as your typical Jeopardy episode goes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

The middle contestant, a young woman, rang in and guessed "Laurel & Hardy". There was a very audible guffaw from someone in the studio audience, and the young woman shot an angry look in their direction. It was amusing, as far as your typical Jeopardy episode goes.

Yeah, I would've bet that the current champion at the time (that woman with the rather strangely appealing look to her) would have at least gotten it.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, I would've bet that the current champion at the time (that woman with the rather strangely appealing look to her) would have at least gotten it.

The first couple of days when she was on I thought she looked familiar, perhaps similar to someone famous. Then on the third night, during the chit-chat segment, she revealed that she had been the bassist in the Runaways back in the 70's, the all-girl rock group that also featured Joan Jett, Cherie Currie and Lita Ford.

She used the stage name Jackie Fox with the group, but was Jackie Fuchs on Jeopardy. She's the second from right below.

the-runaways.jpg

Jackie-Fuchs.jpg

• Thanks 2
31 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

I don't want to know what a "finanal" is.

Okay, then I won't tell you about what kind of material my PJ's are made of then.

(...if you're gonna be THAT way about it, Rich!)

The reason this 'old' and 'irrelevant' post caught my eye is that I'm interested in today's state of literacy and education. Who thinks very much about Helen Keller these days? Why has her life story fallen out of common frames-of-reference?

For the same reason, another thread elsewhere on this site stoked my attention, the one about "How can anyone grow to 23 yrs of age and not know the name Chaplin?"

Cultural education (in which Hollywood movies play a part) is something I find compelling. I'm surprised I have to defend my interest in it...but there ya are.

Per your comment Sgt_Markoff, there was some controversy this past September when the Texas Board of Education had initially decided to remove Helen Keller (and a certain candidate for President) from the history curriculum.  Later in November they reversed course and reinstated the material.

I don't want to veer this thread into politics, but here is a summary:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/11/13/hillary-clinton-helen-keller-lessons-restored-texas-study/1996899002/

I thank you very much for this info. Very startling. Helen Keller is an American hero, why should awareness of such an inspiring individual be reduced? I don't understand.

When I was in junior high, English class showed classic Hollywood movies to us in conjunction with our reading material. It was fantastic. I recall 'The Miracle Worker' was one of them. And I'm the better for having been exposed to it.

The others were: Great Gatsby, Billy Budd, Huckleberry Finn...and it was GREAT. Supremely educational.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I thank you very much for this info. Very startling. Helen Keller is an American hero, why should awareness of such an inspiring individual be reduced? I don't understand.

When I was in junior high, English class showed classic Hollywood movies to us in conjunction with our reading material. It was fantastic. I recall 'The Miracle Worker' was one of them. And I'm the better for having been exposed to it.

The others were: Great Gatsby, Billy Budd, Huckleberry Finn...and it was GREAT. Supremely educational.

Yeah, I absolutely agree with your thought here, Sarge.

In FACT, I'd even go so far as to say that ANYONE who can't see this would have to be deaf, dumb and blind THEMSELVES!

(...yeah yeah, I know...too easy, huh ;) ...sorry)

• Like 1

Well that's one thing you'll never have to worry about Darg ole man. No one will ever accuse you of being deaf or blind! :lol:

('ole vaudeville one-liner! so don't get out any nails 2x4s!)

Anyway thanks for CONCURRING with my comment

13 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Well that's one thing you'll never have to worry about Darg ole man. No one will ever accuse you of being deaf or blind! :lol:

('ole vaudeville one-liner! so don't get out any nails 2x4s!)

Anyway thanks for CONCURRING with my comment

Aw shucks. Thanks there, Sarge!

(...saaaay, WAIT a second here!...are you implyin'...???...why I ought'a...!!!)

;)

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Who thinks very much about Helen Keller these days? Why has her life story fallen out of common frames-of-reference?

She's a white Southerner.  Role models in modern-day America need to be more like Bruce Jenner, Rose McGowan, or any actor/singer who speaks out against the current President.  I don't like the current President either, but just speaking out against him on a late night talk show wouldn't make me a good role model.

• Thanks 1

I think the whole "celebrity role model" thing is stupid.  Especially if the celebrity has their own grown children.  After all, he/she ALREADY RAISED their kids, and shouldn't be expected to raise MINE as well.  That's MY job, thank you very much.....

Sepiatone 

• Haha 1
On 8/26/2005 at 10:43 PM, bhryun said:

Did anyone happen to see "Jeopardy" tonight - Fri 8/26?

The final Jeopardy question was "This woman gave the innagural speech for "X &Z" College" in 1960 by starting with the following word: 'WATER'" - NOT ONE of the 3 contestants got it right! HELEN KELLER!!! See - there is another reason why classic movies are good for you - you have a better shot at "Final Jeopardy!" LOL!

Shaking her head - Madge

Another good source of Helen Keller information came from horrid jokes perpetrated by children on playgrounds that involved scenarios like Helen in a ditch and Helen playing baseball. The punch lines are just in too much bad taste for me to divulge here. Send me an SASE though with a buck and I will reveal the denouement punch lines.

12 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Hey, Sgt. those books weren't bad either.

Now if you go to the library they will have shelved all those classics in the basement archives and put crapola ones in the classic section.

On 12/21/2018 at 3:04 PM, LawrenceA said:

The middle contestant, a young woman, rang in and guessed "Laurel & Hardy". There was a very audible guffaw from someone in the studio audience, and the young woman shot an angry look in their direction. It was amusing, as far as your typical Jeopardy episode goes

This is maybe not as awful as the, I think, Indian woman who guessed "Colorado Rockies" in a football teams category that has made meme celebrity, but it's not great, for sure!