Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Great Santini (1979)

Kid Dabb

I saw this when it was released to cable - not long after it's theatrical release. It had a rough time at the box office and was re-released and acclaimed sometime later - just before it's release to cable.. which killed it a second time at the box office. This film couldn't win for losing.

Despite it's opening woes, this film garnered two Academy Award nominations: 

Best Actor in a Leading Role : Robert Duvall

Best Actor in a Supporting Role : Michael O'Keefe

This is not a great film, nor is it an incredible film. This is a good film about people, heroism, and self-sacrifice.

If you haven't seen this, take a chance.. it's worth it.

I saw this when it was released to cable - not long after it's theatrical release.

I did too. It was released to cable as The Ace. Not sure why, but maybe The Great Santini made the film sound like it was about a magician.  In any event, it's decent movie, good performance by Duvall.

In any event, it's decent movie, good performance by Duvall.

Yeah, and he was SO good in it that he would basically revive the same character(one hard-a$$ and remote SOB of a father)decades later and receive yet ANOTHER Oscar nomination this past year for his role in the movie "The Judge"!

Well, at least that's what I thought as I left the movie theater a few months back and after seeing that Robert Downey Jr. flick anyway, except in THIS case he didn't bounce a freakin' basketball off the forehead of Downey like he did a young Anthony Edwards.

(...and which some believe just might have contributed to Edwards' premature baldness...though I tend to think that was probably more genetics than anything else!!!) ;)

Good movie. I have to confess I always liked the scene where the

family is driving to a new location at night in the car and they start

singing Dixie. Then Duvall says Don't sing that, it's a loser's song. :)

Actually Vautrin, I think that's the ONE time Jake in The Heartland didn't like Duvall in somethin'!

(...just a guess here, though) ;)

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings