Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Removed" again!

Sepiatone

I've started a thread about this before, and nobody either KNEW enough, or lacked the courtesy to reply if they did.  But....

In various old movies and on TV shows, plus in actual conversations in "real life", I've heard the expression, "He's my third cousin.  twice removed. " 

I've heard TWICE REMOVED, THREE TIMES REMOVED, and even tonight, on "Geneology Roadshow" on PBS, one guy was old HE was some guy's first cousin, TEN TIMES REMOVED!

And I've long wondered....."removed" from WHAT?  And, to WHERE??

Just what DOES that mean?

Sepiatone

I've started a thread about this before, and nobody either KNEW enough, or lacked the courtesy to reply if they did.  But....

In various old movies and on TV shows, plus in actual conversations in "real life", I've heard the expression, "He's my third cousin.  twice removed. " 

I've heard TWICE REMOVED, THREE TIMES REMOVED, and even tonight, on "Geneology Roadshow" on PBS, one guy was old HE was some guy's first cousin, TEN TIMES REMOVED!

And I've long wondered....."removed" from WHAT?  And, to WHERE??

Just what DOES that mean?

Sepiatone

The word removed in this case is an adjective...not the verb or noun, you're thinking

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/removed

Thank you, '75.  It's finally clear.

All my cousins on my MOTHER'S side are MY cousins, once removed .  "First cousins" also.  Since all HER aunts and uncles, due to HER being an only child, are MY aunts and uncles, too( grand, or..."great" aunts and uncles, but you know what I mean.) In that they all were my grandmother's brothers and sister. (only one sister!)

It was kind of strange....My brother and I grew up with our cousin Sue, who was a year older than me, but only three years YOUNGER than my brother...And we thought it funny that SHE called OUR mother her "cousin", which WAS right bcause SHE was the youngest child of my grandmother's sister, my Aunt Mary!  Who of course, was also MY mother's aunt.

Which also makes the cousins who are more MY age( and there's a few) HER first cousins as well!

Another twist----Me and my brother used to have a mutual friend named Ronnie Balog.  He lived around the block from us.  One day, he comes up to us and says, "Your MOM'S in love with MY uncle!"

And, it did turn out that mt STEP father's older sister was HIS mother!  Which, we thought was kinda cool, made HIM our COUSIN once my mom married our stepdad!  :)

Sepiatone