Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What do you quote?

Lux, I'm not positive but I believe the quote you are thinking of is actually from the Doris Day/Rock Hudson film Lover Came Back.

And the missing word is suit. He was feeling guilty about buying an expensive suit over a more modestly priced one and the salesman was pressuring him...

Actually now that I think about it may actually be from Sunset Boulevard but it would still be about a suit.

Also there is a similar situation in the Preston Sturges film The Palm Beach Story but I'm pretty sure it's not fron that, although there is a very similar line.

This didn't really answer your question but I'm hoping it will jog someones memory as I am now just as curious about this as you are!

tummysak,

"Vicuna" is the word that matches the quote I had seen, and is indeed from Sunset Boulevard. Thanks to nickdimeo for that, BTW.

It's probably a quote that has turned up more than once and with the last word being something different each time.

I often say "what we have here is a failure to communicate" from Cool Hand Luke.

As someone already mentioned, I also use "Insanity doesn't run in my family, it practically gallops. I am a long-term member of AA and I've also used it a lot as "Alcoholism doesn't run in my family, it gallops".

• 1 month later...

>

> "Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful.

> It's what the fellow said - in Italy for 30 years

> under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder,

> and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo,

> Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In

> Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500

> years of democracy and peace, and what did that

> produce? The cuckoo clock." from The Third Man. it's

> really long but it makes you think and it's kind of

> funny.

>

I love that one,I'll have to memorise it.

Two of my most-used--and two of the most obvious in all Christendom--"Tomorrow is another day" and "Frankly my dear I don't give a damn" from GWTW.Also, for no particular reason,because I've never yet been in a situation in which it would be suitable, I love to say "Meet me at the Casbah" in as cheesy an accent as possible. And the immortal "I vant to be aloooone",LOL.

Hi,

Chandler -

I love that line - "You're protected by the enormity of your stupidity!".....

Thanks for reminding me of it; I will use it!!

One of my favourites is the Mary Astor line used for Olivia DeHavilland in "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte" -- 'I have no more time for you, not even one more minute'.

I've used this a few times....

Larry

• 1 month later...

iv used the line that Groucho (sp) Marx says in i think Duck Soup "Even though my friend talks like an idiot, acts like an idiot and looks like an idiot. Don't let it fool you.....he's an idiot."

I also use, From An American in Paris, "I heard it on the Radio" when ever someone asks me How do you know? or Where did you hear that? and its really obvious how I found out.

Or if I'm imitating someone on a phone and have nothing to say ill say, from High Society "This is the voice of doom! I'm calling to tell u your days are numbered"

Also I've never used this (it would be hard to use) but i've always loved the quote "When success goes to a dancers feet he's all right. But when it goes to his head he gets top heavy" -Fred Astaire, Broadway Melody of 1940

I'm sure there are others i use but cant remember.

From Working Girl, Baldwin says "You look different." Griffith says, "Yeah, well I'm not the same pathetic trusting fool I was a couple of days ago. Shows, huh?"

From Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House, Loy starts many sentances with "All I said was.....", and I borrow that all the time. Also when someone says "What do you mean?" I always say "What do you mean, 'What do you mean?'" Finally when I serve a ham dinner and we're gathering at the table, I always say, "If you ain't eatin' Wham, you ain't eatin' ham!"

From Harvey, "In this world you must be oh, so smart or oh so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." I also use "Nobody brings anything small into a bar."

From the Jerk, "The new phone book is here!! The new phone book is here!! Things are going to start happening to me now!"

I know there's more, but this will do to start with.

See, I knew this would happen. Soon as I posted I thought of two:

From Sarah, Plain and Tall, Close says "The past steps on the heels of the present whether or not you like it." I have actually had the chance to use it on a few occasions. Also from the same movie Walken says "What's right, in my house, is what I say is right." I say that all the time to my kids

My quotes usually center around drinking, in movies:

"Post Time!" Sinatra in The Joker Is Wild

"A little toddy for the body." Bing

"You just pretend to pour the vermouth in." Robert Stack in Written On The Wind

"I'll start with an Old Fashioned and work my way up to date." Bob Hope in The Ghost Breakers

"My mother sends me a bottle every Christmas. I fall behind a little during Lent, but it all evens out by Christmas." Barry Fitzgerald in Going My Way

"Was you ever bit by a dead bee?" Walter Brennan in To Have And Have Not