Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Saaaay...Am I goin' loopy here or is that "Academy Awards" thread now gone???

Dargo

I apologize for this, it does look like that thread was inadvertently removed when a member of the team was cleaning up the spam posts.

It was accidentally done, nothing at all was wrong with the thread or the posts within it.  

Edit:  what was the name of the thread?  I am going to try and restore it.

Okay, I keep reading here that it was spam that took the Oscar thread down. Along with further comments that the moderators could have deleted just the spam postings without removing the entire thread.

So here's a second chance for those moderators:

e57f5944-0ce8-41ea-ba70-8c4728f391c6_zps

Personally, I don't know what they got against this stuff. I kinda like it.

But the question still remains, will they remove just this post or the whole thread again?

Testing, testing  . . .

LOL  That picture is making me hungry.  Guess what I will be going to the grocery store for tonight.  :)

YUCK. Not even if I was starving. Still have bad memories of that stuff as a kid........

Ya know Hibi, I used to feel this same way about the stuff myself, however I changed my mind about it after one of my old co-workers started ordering some food for lunch from this little Hawaiian take-out restaurant that had opened up near LAX and where we worked.

(...yep, I really started to like their fried Spam and pineapple sandwich, and would at least once a week have said co-worker bring me back one of 'em when they went there)

Ya know Hibi, I used to feel this same way about the stuff myself, however I changed my mind about it after one of my old co-workers started ordering some food for lunch from this little Hawaiian take-out restaurant that had opened up near LAX and where we worked.

(...yep, I really started to like their fried Spam and pineapple sandwich, and would at least once a week have said co-worker bring me back one of 'em when they went there)

I'm trying not to think about it................

Luckily I have no memories of that stuff, never ate it and would never even try it. There's so much GREAT food, why would anyone ever bother with that stuff?

LOL. I seem to remember it being a lunch box staple for awhile. I think I may have refused to eat it after awhile.....

I ate it (and all other kinds of luncheon meat) when I was a kid. Mom made sandwiches with it for my lunch and I ate it. We were pretty poor and I was a growing boy with a large appetite.

I still eat it sometimes. I have what's known as a poor person's palate. Even as a kid, I ate spinach and liver and anchovies and green pea soup. Never complained about food like other kids did.

And no, I wasn't even a little bit fat.

My kid is just like me. In first grade she'd ask "Daddy, can I have liverwurst for lunch tomorrow?" I packed the lunches then. She even liked anchovies on our pizza. Still likes all those things and I told her a little while back that she has a poor person's palate. She replied "yep".

I've never seen anything called SPAM for sale in Canada. However, we do have something here called Luncheon Meat which, I think, is probably the equivalent.

Whenever I'm not in a mood for French cuisine, I have been known to rip open a can of Luncheon Meat instead.

I just took a look at the ingredients on the can: mechanically separated chicken (what, Robbie the Robot ripped up a chicken?), pork, water, wheat flour, salt, potato starch, sugar, monosodium glutamate, spices, and smoke (Smoke? Who blows their cigarette on it?).

a1949f53-851f-481e-8f7a-b9a946b98f49_zps

Sometime in the 80s, I was in England, visiting my husband's ancient and eccentric aunt. For some reason, she apparently had no sense of taste or smell (or so my husband told me.)

At one point on the visit, she opened up a can - one of those triangle shaped cans, I've seen them with ham in them - of chicken. Chicken!  Canned yucky chicken with that jelly-like stuff cradling it.

I could not eat it and forget how I managed to avoid it and still remain polite.

Aunt Agnes thought it was a big treat !!

I've never seen anything called SPAM for sale in Canada. However, we do have something here called Luncheon Meat which, I think, is probably the equivalent.

Whenever I'm not in a mood for French cuisine, I have been known to rip open a can of Luncheon Meat instead.

I just took a look at the ingredients on the can: mechanically separated chicken (what, Robbie the Robot ripped up a chicken?), pork, water, wheat flour, salt, potato starch, sugar, monosodium glutamate, spices, and smoke (Smoke? Who blows their cigarette on it?).

a1949f53-851f-481e-8f7a-b9a946b98f49_zps

LOL! Oh, no, not THAT!!! I was referring to bologna, salami and the like.........

• Like 1

I ate it (and all other kinds of luncheon meat) when I was a kid. Mom made sandwiches with it for my lunch and I ate it. We were pretty poor and I was a growing boy with a large appetite.

I still eat it sometimes. I have what's known as a poor person's palate. Even as a kid, I ate spinach and liver and anchovies and green pea soup. Never complained about food like other kids did.

And no, I wasn't even a little bit fat.

My kid is just like me. In first grade she'd ask "Daddy, can I have liverwurst for lunch tomorrow?" I packed the lunches then. She even liked anchovies on our pizza. Still likes all those things and I told her a little while back that she has a poor person's palate. She replied "yep".

I eat all the things you've mentioned and I don't think I have a poor persons palate. I love liver and onions and a mashed potato, I always have anchovies in my caesar salad, I eat spinach, green pea soup and we always had liverwurst in the house when I was growing up. BUT NO SPAM LOL

Sometime in the 80s, I was in England, visiting my husband's ancient and eccentric aunt. For some reason, she apparently had no sense of taste or smell (or so my husband told me.)

At one point on the visit, she opened up a can - one of those triangle shaped cans, I've seen them with ham in them - of chicken. Chicken!  Canned yucky chicken with that jelly-like stuff cradling it.

I could not eat it and forget how I managed to avoid it and still remain polite.

Aunt Agnes thought it was a big treat !!

whoa, did she live through World War II?   Then I could understand it.  I had read some GIs, many years later, would suddenly have a hankering for SPAM.  Maybe the same thing was happening for her.

btw- Did Dargo find the Academy Awards thead?   

Estelle Costanza offered the guys bologna sandwiches. Not surprisingly, they turned her down. Just thinking about some of the stuff my mother used to put in my Wild Bill Hickok lunchbox makes me cringe.

I've still got my Wild Bill Hickok lunchbox, though I can't remember what happened to the thermos.

cb224a49-28e4-4e34-a17c-98ce6c792766_zps

The lunchbox is a little scratched up now, using it to store screws and nails. But it's still recognizable and the artwork more or less intact. I was a regular watcher of that show every Saturday morning at 11:30am. 

YUCK. Not even if I was starving. Still have bad memories of that stuff as a kid........

I really liked Spam as a kid, but had a really bad experience with it one time. As a teenager in the early 80s, I went with my brothers and a couple of older cousins camping the length of the Baja California peninsula, all the way to Cabo San Lucas and back. Of course that was before it was.known as Los Cabos, and was just a dusty fishing village of a couple thousand souls, with a smattering of resort hotels for the fly in deep sea fishing trade; NOTHING like what it is like now.

Anyway, prior to leaving, we stocked up on canned unperishables, at a war surplus store I believe! Among the canned stuff was.Spam, lots of Spam, but not just any Spam, but Smoked Spam, which we had never had before. The stuff tasted like uncooked weiners...Yuck! Two weeks of that crap! Thank God.for the lobster,.fish and.shrimp tacos, and other seafood.we.ate.down there, especially with our limited funds. I don't think I've Spam since, but think I could eat the regular Spam; hey, I recently came across Devilled.Ham, bought and enjoyed it.

Didn't Monty Python do a typically looney song routine called."Spam"?

I've still got my Wild Bill Hickok lunchbox, though I can't remember what happened to the thermos.

cb224a49-28e4-4e34-a17c-98ce6c792766_zps

The lunchbox is a little scratched up now, using it to store screws and nails. But it's still recognizable and the artwork more or less intact. I was a regular watcher of that show every Saturday morning at 11:30am. 

LOL!!!!!