Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Time for another-"For whatever reason, I used to confuse these two actors or actresses with one another" thread

Dargo

You're probably right. I actually suspected that, but it was labeled Megowan so I went with it.

They still look a heckuva lot alike though. But the resemblance is fluid -- not quite so pronounced when Megowan is doing his "stupid" look (Don seems to have a somewhat wider range of expression than the rather grimfaced Rod).

Yeah, I think I read somewhere once that George Raft taught everything he knew about acting to Rod!

;)

I admit I'm far from an expert on Don Megowan, but his moment of glory surely must be the classic grade-Z scifier The Creation of the Humanoids.

sY6ThCi.jpg

If y'all are extra special nice to me, I might even consider posting my classic essay on COTH.

If there's any chance of some extra pics and some additional info on that sultry brunette "with the green blood" being held by Don in that poster(and who I'm assuming is some actress by the name of Erica Elliot), then I'll be as nice as ya want, Doc!!!!

Well I never confused these two, but a lot of people have.  Pat Brady played Roy Rogers' comical sidekick on Roy's TV series in the fifties.

e37cc766315da7b3ba142999f6bae8d8.jpg

And Gene Autry's comical sidekick on his TV series was Pat Buttram.

MV5BMjA5NjQ4MzQ3N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjEy

They didn't look alike, but the shows were on during the same years, they essentially played the same role, and they were both named Pat.  Now, admit it.  Until you saw these photos, you weren't sure which was which.  Isn't that right?  

• Like 1

Two other actors that lots of folks confused were Tom Bosley from "Happy Days" and David Doyle from "Charlie's Angels".  

Of course, on "Charlie's Angels", David Doyle played a character known as Bosley, and on an earlier animated series, "Wait Till Your Father Gets Home", Tom Bosley voiced the role of Harry Boyle, which is similar to Doyle.

• Thanks 1

Two other actors that lots of folks confused were Tom Bosley from "Happy Days" and David Doyle from "Charlie's Angels".  

Of course, on "Charlie's Angels", David Doyle played a character known as Bosley, and on an earlier animated series, "Wait Till Your Father Gets Home", Tom Bosley voiced the role of Harry Boyle, which is similar to Doyle.

Funny that you mention that because the wife and I have been watching Charlie's Angels and Murder She Wrote in the last few months.   I have to remind her that Bosley in Murder She Wrote is the Happy Days actor and that Doyle is the actor in Angels.  

But I didn't know about what you listed above.   

• 3 years later...
9 hours ago, Wordnerd said:

I see that I'm  not alone in mixing up Wallace  Stevens with Barry Sullivan.  The pictures posted before me are two I see it in quite strongly.  An older Wallace Stevens, hey, isn't that Barry Sullivan? 

Uh..... well, that's WARREN Stevens Wordnerd.  ;)  And too, those two I'd also get mixed up with a mid '50's RICHARD KILEY.  

And I'll restate my REX REASON/HOWARD DUFF confusion too.  ;)   And too, the BRIAN thing( Aherne/Donlevy).

Sepiatone

Lately there seems to be new crops of actors and actresses that bare enough similarity that I'm constantly getting them confused. Maybe not exactly look alikes, but when I'm trying to i.d. them in a film I wind up identifying them as: "Oh, that's what's his/her name". For example the current male crop is:

Chris Pine, Josh Duhamel, Ryan Reynolds, Channing Tatum, Chris Hemsworth, Josh Hartnett.

Some years back, for actresses, it was:

Claire Danes, Charlize Theron, Cameron Diaz, Cate Blanchett, Gwyneth Paltrow

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but somehow I don't think Clark Gable, Spencer Tracy, Paul Newman, Gregory Peck, Elizabeth Taylor, Katherine Hepburn, Bette Davis or Joan Crawford would have ever been confused as "What's His/Her Name".

On 2/26/2015 at 1:03 PM, Dargo said:

...as after seeing that it's Dane Clark's birthday in Joe's "Candids 2" thread just now, I was reminded that I used to kind'a confuse him with Richard Conte.

And so, let's hear yours.

(...and remember, this kind of thread topic ISN'T necessarily about "lookalikes", but more about as I said "for whatever reason" you used to or maybe occasionally still do associate two different actors or actresses together, such as often playing similar types in films) 

Okay, I get your drift, Darg but I can do it both ways.

My choice not only seemed to play similar roles but also looked alike, which makes it a double whammy. I'm talking about Joan Leslie and Janet Blair. I would think about an old movie, and forget which one was in it. But then, my confusion finally ended with Janet playing the shockingly off the wall, but appearing normal, Tansy in the film "Burn, Witch, Burn" in 1962. Watching her collect the fetishes off lamps, and put the dead spiders in jars in her dresser drawers and then frantically try to convince her dumb hubby that he needed to be wary of such things, gave me a whole new respect for her usually cute little housewife look, which belied a deep and esoteric interior. Great topic!

On 2/26/2015 at 1:26 PM, Dargo said:

Yeah, actually a good point here, James. Clark did often play more, lets say, "exuberant" types, though I wouldn't exactly call it "overacting", and whereas Conte was mostly cast as the more reserved type.

However, I never thought of Conte as "boring".

(...and certainly not anywhere as close to that stone-faced and monotone-voiced Raft...who should have just stuck with dancing The Bolero, 'cause yeah, THAT dude couldn't act at all...well, okay...he was pretty good in that Wilder comedy set in the '20s when he parodied himself, I guess)

I like Conte too, but it still makes me laugh thinking of him as a waiter in the Catskills or wherever it was. He always looked so tough and untenable, like he came right out of being a Made Man from one of the Five Families.

• 4 years later...

For me, I used to confuse Sandra Bullock and Minnie Driver when I was 5, because I saw both "Miss Congeniality" and "Beautiful," wherein they both played beauty pageant contestants. They also are both brunette. 

Also, Bill Pullman, Bill Paxton, and William Hurt... I can usually keep them straight in my mind these days, but they seemed quite similar when I was in high school/college. 

• Like 1