Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A movie I saw on TV years ago - wish I knew the name

I saw a black & white movie on TV some years ago, and would really like to see it again; if I only knew the Title!!  It was suspenseful and had a lot of mystery.

It was about an innocent man who was accused of murder. He had been framed and he was trying to prove his innocence by himself. I remember him being at an old deserted lake resort hotel, trying to find out why it was deserted, and who the guests had been. I also remember him being alone in a stairwell of an apartment building. He was desperate to find who had framed him. He wore a trench coat. There were times in the movie when he spoke his thoughts so the audience would know what he was thinking.

If anyone can give me an idea of a name of a movie that this description might fit into, I would really appreciate it. There might be a city name in the title.

Thanks so much,

luvbwmovies

I located a thread I had posted previously, and received 3 answers/possibilities:

The Wrong Man 1957 Henry Fonda, Vera Miles

*Kansas City Confidential 1952 John Payne

Somewhere In The Night 1946 John Hodiak, Nancy Guild

Will search these out.

luvbwmovies

I saw a black & white movie on TV some years ago, and would really like to see it again; if I only knew the Title!!  It was suspenseful and had a lot of mystery.

It was about an innocent man who was accused of murder. He had been framed and he was trying to prove his innocence by himself. I remember him being at an old deserted lake resort hotel, trying to find out why it was deserted, and who the guests had been. I also remember him being alone in a stairwell of an apartment building. He was desperate to find who had framed him. He wore a trench coat. There were times in the movie when he spoke his thoughts so the audience would know what he was thinking.

If anyone can give me an idea of a name of a movie that this description might fit into, I would really appreciate it. There might be a city name in the title.

Thanks so much,

luvbwmovies

It almost sounds like Highway Dragnet with Richard Conte, Joan Bennett, and Wanda Hendrix, it ends up at a flooded deserted resort on the Salton Sea, but I don't remember the trenchcoat.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

It IS "The Wrong Man," true story, starring Henry Fonda as Manny Balestrero, who was wrongly arrested for robbery in, I believe, 1952 or '53.

Scenes you remember describe Fonda & wife attempting to prove their alibi; they were guests at that resort during one of the robberies (there were 2.)

• Like 1

SOMEWHERE IN THE NIGHT (1946 with John Hodiak) and THE CROOKED WAY (1949, John Payne) are rather identical first-half tales: our star is an amnesiac war hero, not knowing who he is or where he came from.  He's given the identity papers that came with his dog tags, but we'll quickly learn that he was a former gangster in LA, and used a false name to get into the service and outta-town fast.

(These two same-first-half stories diverge in the second halves - both of them are favorite films.  I easily can confuse KANSAS CITY CONFIDENTIAL because John Payne plays the same sort of character in both, but in KC CONF, he's an ex-con who appears to be set up by a robbery using a delivery truck just like his.  He loses his job - not his memory - but still goes to seek The Truth.)

The Henry Fonda WRONG MAN film is a Hitchcock film and I don't recall any of these mentioned details.  Instead, I recall that a bank holdup as occurred at Fonda's small bank, and the employees know him and identify him as the robber.  In the end, Fonda is brought face to face with the real robber who is remarkably similar looking, and whatever outrage we feel at the bank tellers' wrong ID is practically kicked aside.  "Yeah... I can see how you'd confuse a regular customer with this face, seen only once in a time of armed panic..."

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

To OllieTSB and xanticrime:

I am SO grateful to you both for helping me to find "The Wrong Man", which I have since purchased and viewed again, after all these years! This movie haunted me since the first time I watched it in the '80s, and had no idea what the title was. My sincere thanks for helping me to finally watch the movie from beginning to end!

luvbwmovies