Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RUNNING ON EMPTY

HoldenIsHere

The 31 Days of Oscar movie I've been most looking forward to is scheduled to air on Friday February 27.

That movie is Sidney Lumet's RUNNING ON EMPTY starring Christine Lahti, Judd Hirsch and the late River Phoenix (who was nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his role even though he has more screen time than any other actor in the movie).

The movie must be a TCM premiere. There was no TCM article for it when it first appeared on the online schedule months ago. The article that's now posted mentions events as recent as 2014.

I was a huge River Phoenix fan as a kid, and I must have watched the VHS copy of this movie a gazillion times (well, maybe not a gazillion but a lot).  It's been almost 20 years since I've watched it so I'm interested to see what my reaction will be seeing it now in 2015.

River Phoenix was one of those actors who seemed to wear his heart on his sleeve in his screen performances. This movie and STAND BY ME, DOGFIGHT and MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHO are the best examples of this emotional honesty but it shines through even in formulaic movies like LITTLE NIKITA. 

running-on-empty-poster.jpg

running-on-empty3.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACH

47246bed.jpg

282291_large.jpg

RunningOnEmpty.jpg

river-01.jpg

• Like 2

I am looking forward to seeing this movie too. The only River Phoenix movie I saw was Stand By Me. I always wondered where he would be today, what type of roles he would have chosen. I read his biography and he definitely had an unusual upbringing. Living in poverty, he and his sister Rain sang on street corners for money to help support the family in Venezuela. He came so far and did so well. It's such a shame his life was so short. If you didn't read his biography at Wikipedia, it's very interesting.

Thanks for the reminder for this movie.

I too remember liking this movie a lot when I saw it years ago and when it was first shown on HBO and right after its run in theaters was over. And I too remember thinking that the young River Phoenix held his own with some excellent already established older actors.

However, the one scene I best remember finding the most powerful in this film was the one where Christine Lahti's fugitive character meets her estranged father played by Steven Hill in a restaurant.

I'm looking forward to seeing it also. I saw it when it came out and once or twice on TV (think TCM has shown it before) Such a waste about River Phoenix. Love the underappreciated Christine Lahti too (so great in Housekeeping and other films)........

Hoping to catch The Immigrants running before it too (which I've never seen all the way through for some reason).......

I too remember liking this movie a lot when I saw it years ago and when it was first shown on HBO and right after its run in theaters was over. And I too remember thinking that the young River Phoenix held his own with some excellent already established older actors.

However, the one scene I best remember finding the most powerful in this film was the one where Christine Lahti's fugitive character meets her estranged father played by Steven Hill in a restaurant.

I also loved this movie when I saw it at the movies back in the day. Great.cast, and I agree the scene with Lahti and her father is outstanding, so powerful and gut wrenching. Hill was amazing!

Holden, thanks for the heads up....I haven't seen that in ages.

This movie certainly holds up almost 20 years since the last time I saw it.

The first moments of intimacy between River Phoenix and Martha Plimpton were especially poignant this time.They really captured those feelings of two sexually inexperienced people (River Phoenix's character was a virgin; I don't think the extent Martha Plimpton's character's prior experience was revealed) wanting a physical connection with each other.The two actors were a couple in real life at one point.

I had forgotten about the wonderful scene where River Phoenix pretends to be a pizza delivery person to get as glimpse of his grandmother in New York City or the scene where Judd Hirsch in a melancholy moment gets drunk and angrily recites deails of his real identity (but only in the company of his family). I'd also forgotten how wonderful the actor who played River Phoenix's younger brother was.

And what a blast from the past to see the Chief from the 1990s TV series WHERE IN THE WORLD IS CARMEN SANDIEGO? in a small role.

Seeing the movie now as an adult I really noticed  Chritine Lahti's feeling of being trapped in her situation but being strong more for the sake of her children than for the sake of her husband. 

It was disappointing that the version shown on TCM had all the expletives bleeped, by way of removing the audio when they were spoken. The first instance occurred in the very first scene where River Phoenix is playing baseball in Florida (before his family has to hastily re-locate to New Jersey) and he apparently scratches his glasses. He says "Ah sh*t" but in the version shown on TCM we hear "Ah" followed by a moment with no audio. Minutes later when his buddy tells him he made the team River Phoenix replies "No [audio removed]" instead of "No sh*t." This happened throughout the movie. In one scene Christine Lahti says " those a-s-s [audio removed]" instead "those a-s-s holes." (Apparently "a-s-s" was okay but not "a-s-s holes.") At the end of the movie it was noted that the version was for Domestic Pay Cable,  but TCM has aired movies before with that designation that had much "saltier" language which was not bleeped. I'm glad TCM aired the movie, but the audio dips were quite annoying. At least they didn't fill in the dropped audio with words like "shucks" or "shoot" as they used to do with some movies airing on basic cable.

Unfortunately the DVD version of the movie (released in the 1990s) is in Full Screen format, and I hate widescreen movies in pan-and-scan Full Screen.

• Like 2

The first moments of intimacy between River Phoenix and Martha Plimpton were especially poignant this time.They really captured those feelings of two sexually inexperienced people (River Phoenix's character was a virgin; I don't think the extent Martha Plimpton's character's prior experience was revealed) wanting a physical connection with each other.The two actors were a couple in real life at one point.

I had forgotten about the wonderful scene where River Phoenix pretends to be a pizza delivery person to get as glimpse of his grandmother in New York City or the scene where Judd Hirsch in a melancholy moment gets drunk and angrily recites deails of his real identity (but only in the company of his family). I'd also forgotten how wonderful the actor who played River Phoenix's younger brother was.

And what a blast from the past to see the Chief from the 1990s TV series WHERE IN THE WORLD IS CARMEN SANDIEGO? in a small role.

Seeing the movie now as an adult I really noticed  Chritine Lahti's feeling of being trapped in her situation but being strong more for the sake of her children than for the sake of her husband. 

It was disappointing that the version shown on TCM had all the expletives bleeped, by way of removing the audio when they were spoken. The first instance occurred in the very first scene where River Phoenix is playing baseball in Florida (before his family has to hastily re-locate to New Jersey) and he apparently scratches his glasses. He says "Ah sh*t" but in the version shown on TCM we hear "Ah" followed by a moment with no audio. Minutes later when his buddy tells him he made the team River Phoenix replies "No [audio removed]" instead of "No sh*t." This happened throughout the movie. In one scene Christine Lahti says " those a-s-s [audio removed]" instead "those a-s-s holes." (Apparently "a-s-s" was okay but not "a-s-s holes.") At the end of the movie it was noted that the version was for Domestic Pay Cable,  but TCM has aired movies before with that designation that had much "saltier" language which was not bleeped. I'm glad TCM aired the movie, but the audio dips were quite annoying. At least they didn't fill in the dropped audio with words like "shucks" or "shoot" as they used to do with some movies airing on basic cable.

Unfortunately the DVD version of the movie (released in the 1990s) is in Full Screen format, and I hate widescreen movies in pan-and-scan Full Screen.

Yes, it was sad that TCM showed this censored version.   The S word is now fairly common on cable TV.     I assume an uncensored version was available so this looks like another case of TCM programmers being lazy and \ or clueless.

Yes, it was sad that TCM showed this censored version.   The S word is now fairly common on cable TV.     I assume an uncensored version was available so this looks like another case of TCM programmers being lazy and \ or clueless.

I would think Domestic Pay Cable (as the the version that aired on TCM was designated as) would refer to versions meant to be aired on pay channels like HBO or Showtime. I don't think HBO has ever shown movies with audio drop outs even during the daytime hours (although I might be wrong).   

The version that used to air on HBO back in the day would likely be in a Full Frame (pan-and-scan) format so I would not like that either.

The DVD release from the late 1990s was in Full Frame.

I wonder if there is a version of this movie in the correct aspect ratio with no audio drops. 

Yes. that was VERY annoying. Must've been and edited for tv version.........

• 6 months later...

TCM is airing RUNNING ON EMPTY tomorrow (September 14) as part of the tribute to Sidney Lumet.

I'm hoping that the version shown will not be one that aired during the most recent 31 Days of Oscar, where there were audio drops when the expletives were spoken. 

We'll know fairly soon into the movie because the first instance occurs during the first scene where River Phoenix is playing baseball. In the scene he apparently scratches his glasses and says "Ah sh*t."

In the version shown on TCM in February we heard "Ah" followed by a moment with no audio.

So were they? It was on too late for me to watch again.........

There were no audio drops!!!!!

:)

I figured we were okay after the first "sh*t" in the first scene but I watched the entire movie.

I really love this movie!

Judd Hirsch actually has the following line in the movie:

"G*d***  f***ing  sh**!"

• Like 1

There were no audio drops!!!!!

:)

I figured we were okay after the first "sh*t" in the first scene but I watched the entire movie.

I really love this movie!

Judd Hirsch actually has the following line in the movie:

"G*d***  f***ing  sh**!"

LMREO! Sorry I missed it. Would figure!