Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

60's & 70's movies

lvutcm

hello TCM lovers...I just signed on so glad to have found this forum, however, I came by it indirectly while asking the 'programming department' why they feel the need to start airing all the movie from the 60's and 70's ?

how does everyone feel about these 'new / old' movies.

I am celebrating my '60th' birthday this year, and am dedicated to the old black and white movies I grew up with !

I used to plan my whole day around the wonderful old movies, the first thing I did  in the morning was look at the TCM schedule....lately the last few months I don't even check anymore....once and awhile during the day I will check to see whats on but do not any longer plan or enjoy TCM.

I MISS THE OLD TCM PROGRAMMING ! :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

Yes, welcome to the boards. TCM has been airing movies from the 60s & 70s for a long time now. I can only imagine what you think about movies from the 80s & 90s on TCM.

We have the Lord of the Rings films coming up in a few days, and those were made in the early 2000s. It makes classics from the 60s & 70s look ancient. And films from the 30s & 40s seem prehistoric.

I am celebrating my '60th' birthday this year, and am dedicated to the old black and white movies I grew up with !

If you were born in 1955, by the time you were about six or seven years old the majority of Hollywood movies were being made in color.

If you were born in 1955, by the time you were about six or seven years old the majority of Hollywood movies were being made in color.

I thought of that, too. But I have a feeling the poster was referring to watching old movies on TV. In the early and mid-1960s, not everyone had color TVs. And a lot of the (already by then) old films from the 30s were made in black-and-white.

I thought of that, too. But I have a feeling the poster was referring to watching old movies on TV. In the early and mid-1960s, not everyone had color TVs. And a lot of the (already by then) old films from the 30s were made in black-and-white.

...and I still prefer black and white, especially for urban films.

On today at 3:15 PM MST for me is the excellent 70's film THE EMIGRANTS (1971).  Max von Sydow and Liv Ullman.  Slow moving at times but a really good film with two of the great European stars of our times.  Saying von Sydow and Ullman in the same sentence need I say more. 

Back on the rails.....

If LVUTCM (?) is reading any of these replies, I'd just like to join in on the "welcomes" and also welcome the "kid" to the boards( "kid" as in he/she IS younger than me).

Not only has the showing of "newer" films been discussed and argued about here a lot, so has the definition of the word "classic" in the context of TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES.  The word can  mean "old" and can also mean "outstanding for it's time".  And I believe it's the LATTER definition is why TCM feels comfortable in scheduling and broadcasting many movies from the '60's and '70's, and even  newer.

Sepiatone.

• Like 1

On today at 3:15 PM MST for me is the excellent 70's film THE EMIGRANTS (1971).  Max von Sydow and Liv Ullman.  Slow moving at times but a really good film with two of the great European stars of our times.  Saying von Sydow and Ullman in the same sentence need I say more. 

And good performance by Eddie Axberg too.  He was even better in the sequel, The New Land.  Perhaps the only actor that I know of who was also credited as being the sound editor on the same film.

While I like the old B&W movies, I also enjoy many of the movies from the 60', 70's and 80's.  A  1980 movie is now 35 years old, so for many people that is a classic movie.

Just as 1990 cars are legitimately showing up at Classic Car shows, it's OK for TCM to show "newer" movies.

There is a place for B&W and color.  Think of Gone With the Wind in B&W, or Ben Hur or the Ten Commandments.  

However, the Thin Man, Falcon, Saint, Nancy Drew, etc. series' would not be nearly as good in color.

TCM is, and needs to be, a big umbrella.

BTW, there are often complaints about TCM showing the same "old" movies over and over and over again, so more from 60'-80's would add to the diversity.

• Like 2

SEVEN DAYS IN MAY (1964) relegated to a morning time slot? Ridiculous. One of the most underrated films ever made, and in my all-time top ten.

I think TCM tries to show movies in various time slots so more people can have a chance to watch it.  I have seen Seven Days in May presented at several different times.

However, the Thin Man, Falcon, Saint, Nancy Drew, etc. series' would not be nearly as good in color.

That's how I feel about the Universal horrors - particularly the Frankenstein, Wolf Man, Mummy and Son-Daughter of Dracula films.

Hammer re-did them in colour, and though those updates have their good points, they lack the atmosphere and charm of the black and white Universals.

• Like 1

thanks everyone for your input !  I suppose my version of the old black and white can be clarified on my part....i'm all for color remakes of the old stories....I guess I was referring to the old time actors and the characters they portrayed....there is something romantic about those older years while our country was growing...the stories through 1920's depression and WW11 are very thought provoking and I love the older actors....  I am a love and read everything from The Victorian ages through again WW11....I guess i'm just an old soul.

and yes, I will be watching the "Immigrants" and just turned on 55 Days in Peking...but don't you see their storylines from history....

everyone...enjoy :) 

I for one like the oldies but goodies. I don't think black and white has anything to do with it...it's just

a sense of seeing the world in different times and eras. Thank you very much...I lived through the 60's

through now and really don't want to sit down and live through it a second time.

I know classics are defined on something other than age but to me, for some reason I am just not as

nostalgic for the newer movies (60's-80's) as I am for other eras. And lastly to those who whine about

their favourites not being on....change the channel, read a book or take a walk.

thanks everyone for your input !  I suppose my version of the old black and white can be clarified on my part....i'm all for color remakes of the old stories....I guess I was referring to the old time actors and the characters they portrayed....there is something romantic about those older years while our country was growing...the stories through 1920's depression and WW11 are very thought provoking and I love the older actors....  I am a love and read everything from The Victorian ages through again WW11....I guess i'm just an old soul.

and yes, I will be watching the "Immigrants" and just turned on 55 Days in Peking...but don't you see their storylines from history....

everyone...enjoy :) 

I am happy to see you are a real poster.  With a good number of threads on this topic (and it is the most thready topic), the original poster throws the cat in amongst the dogs, so to speak, and is never heard from again.  This leads to speculation that the poster is a false persona, created only to act as a provocateur, sparking heated debates that go nowhere, change no one's opinion, and have no effect on programming.  Still, for those who enjoy it, theres plenty of opportunity.

I for one like the oldies but goodies. I don't think black and white has anything to do with it...it's just

a sense of seeing the world in different times and eras. Thank you very much...I lived through the 60's

through now and really don't want to sit down and live through it a second time.

I know classics are defined on something other than age but to me, for some reason I am just not as

nostalgic for the newer movies (60's-80's) as I am for other eras. And lastly to those who whine about

their favourites not being on....change the channel, read a book or take a walk.

I for one like the 60s & 70s. To those who whine about their favorites not being on....change the channel, read a book or take a walk.

I've gotten to the point where after having absorbed several thousand films from the 20's through the 50's on TCM, I just want to see first rate movies from any era, and tune out anything else.  If the acting is good and the plot is credible, why should it matter whether it's a silent film, a rickety pre-code, a newly restored movie from the 40's, or a film from the 21st century?  I'm as nostalgic as they come, but it's hard for me to get too nostalgic about mediocrities like Hugh Herbert or Bob Hope.  They were dreadful then and they're still dreadful today.

I'm as nostalgic as they come, but it's hard for me to get too nostalgic about mediocrities like Hugh Herbert or Bob Hope.  They were dreadful then and they're still dreadful today.

Don't know who Hugh Herbert was, but I like Bob Hope -sometimes.  I think he is fairly good in My Favorite Brunette, My Favorite Blonde, the Ghost Breakers, My Favorite Spy and especially Bachelor in Paradise.   Never have watched a Road movie more than a few minutes.

I also am one of those people who can't stand Bob Hope for more than 30 seconds in a movie.  Many do or many must have liked him decades ago but he does nothing for me.  A dead zone in classic movies for me but he was one of a kind I will grant him that.

hello TCM lovers...I just signed on so glad to have found this forum, however, I came by it indirectly while asking the 'programming department' why they feel the need to start airing all the movie from the 60's and 70's ?

how does everyone feel about these 'new / old' movies.

I MISS THE OLD TCM PROGRAMMING ! :rolleyes: 

But, actually, if you're 60 this year, the movies you grew up with were the movies from the 60s and 70s. Those are the films that were made when you were a child and a teenager. Agreed, you're not going to see "Bonnie and Clyde" or anything like that when you're 12 years old. But still, it's not as though the old black and white films you speak of so fondly were made in your era - they were old even when you watched them on TV (which I presume is what you meant when you said you grew up with them.)

Don't get me wrong, I love those old movies too, and I too saw many of them on television when I as a kid and a teenager.

But by the 70s, anyway, you would have been old enough to have seen some of the movies that came out in that decade, and some of them were  great.

• Like 2

I see that there were several comments and acknowledgements regarding Bob Hope.  Feelings among the "now group" run high in the negativity quotient but just like some of the actors/commedians prevelant today, Bob Hope is a man for his times.

The fact that his times crossed through several decades is a testimony to the relevance of his persona and subject matter that was entertaining to the audience of those decades that shared the time periods with him.  Having watched him mostly on television and then later on the Saturday TV movie I enjoyed him and his "posse" of favourites like Bing Crosby, Fred Allen and others.

While many of his movies were schmaltz, I definitely enjoyed him in the Road Movies and really liked the fact that he and Bing often broke the 4th wall.  I took that as a recognition by them both that they didn't take themselves too seriously. So here on Saturday morning, with snow coming down and restless doggies, I'm off on the "Road to Morroco".

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings