Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Running on Empty Not Uncensored

sewhite2000

I think the print in question was one previously used for a network TV or basic cable broadcast. There were words dubbed out all the way through the movie that are normally okay in PG-13 movies. Every use of "GD" had the "G" removed - you could see the actors voicing the syllable, but no sound. Same with "S", another word that is generally acceptable for PG-13. In one scene, so many words were dubbed out, I'm not even sure what the missing words were, though I was trying to read lips.

The "s" bomb has been dubbed out twice in the last five minutes in contrast to the network's oft-stated "uncut and uncensored" policy.

TCM's policy is to NEVER edit a film, but that doesn't mean that, now and then, a distributor doesn't send them an edited version, either by mistake or because that's the only version they have.

This has been discussed numerous times before. It's a no win situation for TCM. If they show the cut version, some people will complain, If they pull it from the schedule  other folks will . In general, TCM usually runs the version that's sent to them and then attempts to get the correct version for a future showing. No matter what they do it won't please everybody.

• Like 1

It's a no win situation for TCM. If they show the cut version, some people will complain, If they pull it from the schedule  other folks will . In general, TCM usually runs the version that's sent to them and then attempts to get the correct version for a future showing. No matter what they do it won't please everybody.

All we ask is that they be up front about it. If they're running an edited version, tell us so. Then we won't waste our time on it - we'll wait until the real version comes around.

I'll be erasing this rather than adding it to my collection. Disappointingly.

All we ask is that they be up front about it. If they're running an edited version, tell us so. Then we won't waste our time on it - we'll wait until the real version comes around.

I agree.    First TCM programmers should try to obtain an unedited (censored) version.  Second they should be aware of what version they obtain.   Third they should let viewers know beforehand when they have obtained an edited version and therefore will be showing an edited version.

I really don't think that is asking too much.

I can't argue with that, I think where the problem lies is that TCM doesn't know what version they're  actually running and that shouldn't be the case or should it be an excuse.

I don't know how things work on the technical end at TCM but I suspect, like at other networks, it's mostly automated with program material loaded directly into a server without anybody looking at it. For the bulk of TCM's programming that probably works fine, but there are occassions where somebody should actually screen it first.

The print of A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT which aired tonight was also censored. In one scene, Brad Pitt refers to his boss as "That old ...", and I'm not sure what he said after that. His lips continued to move, but there was silence. Near the end of the film, Pitt's brother is playfully pretending he can't hear him when he asks multiple times, "What are they biting on?" Finally, Pitt, if you read his lips, clearly yells out, "What the F are they biting on?", but the "F" is dubbed out.

TCM's policy is to NEVER edit a film, but that doesn't mean that, now and then, a distributor doesn't send them an edited version, either by mistake or because that's the only version they have.

This has been discussed numerous times before. It's a no win situation for TCM. If they show the cut version, some people will complain, If they pull it from the schedule  other folks will . In general, TCM usually runs the version that's sent to them and then attempts to get the correct version for a future showing. No matter what they do it won't please everybody.

Exactly.

So how would you suggest they be up front about it? Let me ask you something. How many months out do you think TCM leases films to be shown for the 31 Days of Oscar or lets say any month?

I am sure that they leased this film and the other film this evening that had edits in it months ago. I do not know exactly how the deals are worked at TCM, but lets say for argumentative purposes the film arrives the month before the film is supposed to be shown. Most of these films are probably leased in a batch arrangement, that is to say that several films are batched together for a particular length of time to run on several occasions during the year on TCM. Possibly as few as one or two times depending on how popular a film is or isn't.

If TCM receives the film(s) a month out, does this give the TCM staff enough time to watch the film all the way through to see if it is an edited version? Or do they just wait and play the film indicating to the audience that it is the original theatrical production, uncut and unedited?

These days I am not so sure. I am going to guess that due to the recent budget cutbacks at Time Warner, TCM's staff could have been cut as well, so there isn't the level of scrutiny applied to the films as there were before. This is not an excuse but possibly could have been what happened. This is only speculative on my part.

But who knows? Maybe they had someone look at all of the films and they goofed and they showed two films that had edits in them. As markfp2 pointed out TCM is in a no win situation here. I am sure they try to do their best but they are only human and they ARE going to make mistakes sometimes.

So how would you suggest they be up front about it?

Easy. Make up an announcement that can be used immediately before the movie begins. It can be used whenever they find that they've received an edited movie from the post-1970 period (pre-1970 is moot).

"The following movie has been found to be an edited-for-television copy which we received in error. We apologize for the inconvenience to those who had hoped to see the genuine version."

Then at least their reputation for showing movies unedited will not p!ss so many people off by their not living up to it. They openly transfer the blame to their supplier while allowing me to not waste my time with the thing.

Could it be possible TCM was told the version of the movie they were sent was the theatrical version so The Powers That Be at TCM didn't think they needed to check it? 

Considering how much incompetence we experience as a matter of course in today's world, sure it's possible.

I find it hard to believe that a broadcaster (especially of TCM's stature) wouldn't verify what it's going to run before they put it on the air, but there ya go.

Easy. Make up an announcement that can be used immediately before the movie begins. It can be used whenever they find that they've received an edited movie from the post-1970 period (pre-1970 is moot).

"The following movie has been found to be an edited-for-television copy which we received in error. We apologize for the inconvenience to those who had hoped to see the genuine version."

Then at least their reputation for showing movies unedited will not p!ss so many people off by their not living up to it. They openly transfer the blame to their supplier while allowing me to not waste my time with the thing.

Well there is the problem...

You are assuming that there are a lot of people upset with this. How do you know that there are that many upset people about this? Have you conducted a poll to see just how many subscribers are upset that these types of things go on at TCM?

What I think is going on is that we have a very, very, very small number of people who come on this message board and voice their concerns that somehow TCM is in the wrong and darn it, they should do something about it because it is hurting the channel.

Now you tell me. Do you honestly believe that there are thousands of disgruntled viewers of TCM out there who are really concerned about this, or would you not agree that the only people who are genuinely upset are those few who continue to voice their concerns about this on a message board where maybe there are tops thirty people participating each and every day?

I agree that there is a problem. But again what can TCM do? If they are not checking each and every film that comes to them and they decide not to do anything about it, what recourse do you have? Well I guess you could turn the channel to another channel, turn the TV off and go read a book or do what I do. Watch my own DVD collection or rent movies form any number of sources or like me, tonight watch House of Cards on Netflix.

You are assuming that there are a lot of people upset with this.

And right off the bat, you're wrong. I have no idea why you would think I assume that.

I speak for myself. I give my opinions. I ask my questions. What others feel or think is theirs, not mine.

And right off the bat, you're wrong. I have no idea why you would think I assume that.

I speak for myself. I give my opinions. I ask my questions. What others feel or think is theirs, not mine.

Well, I hate to say this but you did write the following:

And yes this is your opinion. I am not arguing that. But, how did you arrive at this opinion? "So many people".

Did you take a poll of people who watch TCM? Did you compile a list of numbers of people who watch TCM but who have also complained about these errors from TCM?

Again I am not arguing. I am just saying that to me it would seem that the only people getting upset or at the very least concerned about how TCM "proofs" or "determines" whether or not films are edited before showing them, are the few folks like yourself and a few others here who complain about this.

And as I wrote TCM is operated by humans. Humans make mistakes. I would say cut them some slack. I mean lets face it. If you record a movie that you have not seen before and then you watch it for the first time, how are you going to know that the film that TCM has leased is an edited version unless they say so at the beginning? Is that so important to you and others here?

I could see if you saw a movie years ago and then it popped up on TCM and you decided to record the film and when you watched the film at a later time, you noticed based on your remembrance of seeing the film in the theater that the film was edited, then maybe there would be cause for you to be upset or just delete the film from your library.

To me if I could afford to get TCM and I recorded and then watched a film that I had never seen before, but afterwards found that the film I watched had been edited or that the film was an edited version of the film that had been released in the theaters, it is NOT going to be a detriment to me keeping it in my film library.

This is one of the reasons why I do not record movies anymore. For one thing I can not afford the channel tier that has TCM and to me it is a waste of time to record a film. If I want it badly enough then I will find a copy and purchase the film on DVD. It does not bother me, and yet I would rather purchase a film for my library than tape the film off of a movie channel. But that's just me. Others around here record every movie they see that they want and that is fine.

This is my opinion.

Well there is the problem...

You are assuming that there are a lot of people upset with this. How do you know that there are that many upset people about this? Have you conducted a poll to see just how many subscribers are upset that these types of things go on at TCM?

What I think is going on is that we have a very, very, very small number of people who come on this message board and voice their concerns that somehow TCM is in the wrong and darn it, they should do something about it because it is hurting the channel.

Now you tell me. Do you honestly believe that there are thousands of disgruntled viewers of TCM out there who are really concerned about this, or would you not agree that the only people who are genuinely upset are those few who continue to voice their concerns about this on a message board where maybe there are tops thirty people participating each and every day?

I agree that there is a problem. But again what can TCM do? If they are not checking each and every film that comes to them and they decide not to do anything about it, what recourse do you have? Well I guess you could turn the channel to another channel, turn the TV off and go read a book or do what I do. Watch my own DVD collection or rent movies form any number of sources or like me, tonight watch House of Cards on Netflix.

Yes,  we are all assuming how the majority feel about something unless we have actual data.

So here I go with my assumption:  I assume a majority of TCM viewers do NOT want content censored.    That they are adults and they can handle it AND if there is a movie that has too much content they find offensive they can just avoid watching the movie.   That there are FEW,  if ANY people that have a preference for censored movies.

I feel you're the one overreacting here.   It isn't that something is wrong at TCM.   It is that TCM's programmers can do a better job with understanding the version of the film they are leasing before showing them.     I don't think that is asking too much or being unreasonable.

Yes,  we are all assuming how the majority feel about something unless we have actual data.

So here I go with my assumption:  I assume a majority of TCM viewers do NOT want content censored.    That they are adults and they can handle it AND if there is a movie that has too much content they find offensive they can just avoid watching the movie.   That there are FEW,  if ANY people that have a preference for censored movies.

I feel you're the one overreacting here.   It isn't that something is wrong at TCM.   It is that TCM's programmers can do a better job with understanding the version of the film they are leasing before showing them.     I don't think that is asking too much or being unreasonable.

So as always, I am overreacting here? That is what I do. Yeah, I get it. You are the voice of reason around here, right?

It is not being unreasonable, what it is - it is becoming rather boring that this topic keeps rearing it's ugly head whenever an edited film makes it way onto the schedule.

The main problem I have is reading threads like this one where to me there is complaining that exists from basically the same people over and over again when the programmers should be doing a better job. The main emphasis is to always blame the programming people at TCM.

"Oh, well its the programmers fault that this or that happened". Or,

"The programmers should be doing a better job at screening the films before they air".

What do think happens at TCM? Do you really think that there is a really big team there in their offices that are supposed to screen each and every film that TCM shows each month to verify whether or not the film is the original film or an altered one. Because I have to tell you, all of the conversations I have seen or read about is that TCM really has little control over the films they receive. And yet there are those that write on these pages who seem to think that TCM has an unlimited supply of time, resources and more importantly people whose only jobs each month is to screen all the movies they show.

Get real. I am amazed that they can get what they have on the channel each and every month. Plus all of the other good things they do for fans of the channel. From my conversation with Tabesh last year, they have a very small yet dedicated staff who tries to do their very best. Unfortunately around here people seem to think they have to be miracle workers.

So as always, I am overreacting here? That is what I do. Yeah, I get it. You are the voice of reason around here, right?

It is not being unreasonable, what it is - it is becoming rather boring that this topic keeps rearing it's ugly head whenever an edited film makes it way onto the schedule.

The main problem I have is reading threads like this one where to me there is complaining that exists from basically the same people over and over again when the programmers should be doing a better job. The main emphasis is to always blame the programming people at TCM.

"Oh, well its the programmers fault that this or that happened". Or,

"The programmers should be doing a better job at screening the films before they air".

What do think happens at TCM? Do you really think that there is a really big team there in their offices that are supposed to screen each and every film that TCM shows each month to verify whether or not the film is the original film or an altered one. Because I have to tell you, all of the conversations I have seen or read about is that TCM really has little control over the films they receive. And yet there are those that write on these pages who seem to think that TCM has an unlimited supply of time, resources and more importantly people whose only jobs each month is to screen all the movies they show.

Get real. I am amazed that they can get what they have on the channel each and every month. Plus all of the other good things they do for fans of the channel. From my conversation with Tabesh last year, they have a very small yet dedicated staff who tries to do their very best. Unfortunately around here people seem to think they have to be miracle workers.

Again,  I feel it is you that needs to get real.   The programmers were sloppy in this case.  Simple.   Just accept that and move on. This doesn't mean I want them fired, shot or burned at the stake.   It just means they could do a better job when leasing movies from eras subject to censoring.     TCM doesn't show that many post 1968 movies so, again,  I don't think I'm asking too much (so when you say each and every movie, that is hyperbole and thus supports my claim it is you that is overreacting).

ALSO:  The fact they messed up in this case doesn't change how I feel about TCM.   They are still my favorite movie station and are 10 times better than any other station.   

Again,  I feel it is you that needs to get real.   The programmers were sloppy in this case.  Simple.   Just accept that and move on. This doesn't mean I want them fired, shot or burned at the stake.   It just means they could do a better job when leasing movies from eras subject to censoring.     TCM doesn't show that many post 1968 movies so, again,  I don't think I'm asking too much (so when you say each and every movie, that is hyperbole and thus supports my claim it is you that is overreacting).

ALSO:  The fact they messed up in this case doesn't change how I feel about TCM.   They are still my favorite movie station and are 10 times better than any other station.   

Me get real??? Your kidding right???

It is not me who comes on here every single frickin’ time complaining about the same old crap that comes up whenever the programmers goof up. You get real and finally realize that these people are human, not super beings.

They are trying their level best at what I would think could be a very daunting task. Airing over 350 films each month. And yet that is not good enough for people like you and a few others around here. Oh no. The programmers are not allowed to make ANY mistake. Isn’t that right?

This is is all about their gaffes, right? Oh, yeah I am even sure every last one of you who do complain probably thinks you could do a better job than the programmers can do. Why don’t you get real and accept the fact that the programmers ARE human and YES they Do make mistakes from time to time. Accept that.

What do you expect? Perfection? I am sorry but TCM is a cable channel run by people who as I have written are trying to do the best they can within a certain amount of budgetary limits. Especially after the Time Warner budget cuts occurred late last year. I guess you forgot about that too, huh?

Me get real??? Your kidding right???

It is not me who comes on here every single frickin’ time complaining about the same old crap that comes up whenever the programmers goof up. You get real and finally realize that these people are human, not super beings.

They are trying their level best at what I would think could be a very daunting task. Airing over 350 films each month. And yet that is not good enough for people like you and a few others around here. Oh no. The programmers are not allowed to make ANY mistake. Isn’t that right?

This is is all about their gaffes, right? Oh, yeah I am even sure every last one of you who do complain probably thinks you could do a better job than the programmers can do. Why don’t you get real and accept the fact that the programmers ARE human and YES they Do make mistakes from time to time. Accept that.

What do you expect? Perfection? I am sorry but TCM is a cable channel run by people who as I have written are trying to do the best they can within a certain amount of budgetary limits. Especially after the Time Warner budget cuts occurred late last year. I guess you forgot about that too, huh?

It is you that comes on here every time and complains about those that do complain.    OK,  I agree that often these complains are receptive and even unfounded.   BUT that was not the case here.    The way the movie was censored really impacted the viewing experience.  In fact I turned to something else after I realized that this was a censored movie and not just some TV glitch.

When I see comments like  "the programmers are not allowed to make ANY mistake. Isn’t that right?" and the 'perfection' ;  this tells me you're being very defensive and going way over the top (again).   Like a mom protecting her cubs.     

Anyhow, if these type of threads upset up so much,  stay out of them and don't read them.    

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings