Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Miss Havisham goes Hammer

NipkowDisc

tonite on svengoolie is a good one. the brides of dracula with peter cushing.
obviously hammer thought more of cushing than they ever did christopher lee.
they hand this vehicle to cushing for a tour-de-force performance but with no lee.
idiots. didn't box office receipts from the states from their first film tell them anything?
stupid hammer dolts.
and why is it in this flick that they throw in all this vampire lore that they coulda just as well of done with Dracula (1958)
in this we get bats. when that bat with red eyes buzzes Van Helsing, is that the newly dug up fresh vampire babe or Meinster?
somewhat unclear to me. I like the comic relief doctor trying to unclog his sinuses.
when the girl walks past gina's casket the padlock falls off. neat. they coulda used that in mark of the vampire. :)
besides the always stalwart cushing, there's also alotta good acting from martita hunt, the vampire's mother also...
our beloved miss havisham from david lean's great expectations.
she alone makes this worth watching.
she brings a stubborn but admirable dignity to her role as the baroness meinster.

???

WHO'S "GINA"?  or, did you mean "MINA"?

I've grown weary of so-called "Dracula" movies that attempt to rewrite and revise Stoker's excellent novel.

However, Cushing IS always fun to watch in these vehicles, so I'll try to tune in.

And +1 on the "Cushing without Lee" complaint.  The two go together like HOPE AND CROSBY!  :lol:

Sepiatone

???

WHO'S "GINA"?  or, did you mean "MINA"?

I've grown weary of so-called "Dracula" movies that attempt to rewrite and revise Stoker's excellent novel.

However, Cushing IS always fun to watch in these vehicles, so I'll try to tune in.

And +1 on the "Cushing without Lee" complaint.  The two go together like HOPE AND CROSBY!  :lol:

Sepiatone

my bad. I just assume many here will have seen these old horror film's as many times as I have and will automatically know who gina is.

I prefer not to allow for less viewing time in front of the TV for others in comparison to myself.

it's my natural humility.

gina is a local maid who attracts the baron meinster's attention. watch the film and gain an intuitive familiarity with these old horror gems. :)

gina will ask marianne to forgive her for loving him. :D

23hriwh.jpg

my bad. I just assume many here will have seen these old horror film's as many times as I have and will automatically know who gina is.

I prefer not to allow for less viewing time in front of the TV for others in comparison to myself.

it's my natural humility.

gina is a local maid who attracts the baron meinster's attention. watch the film and gain an intuitive familiarity with these old horror gems. :)

gina will ask marianne to forgive her for loving him. :D

23hriwh.jpg

you just gotta put in alotta butt time in front of the TV as I have my whole life.

hey, before the advent of tcm I was totally unfamiliar with doctor zhivago.

never watched all those abc showings. :)

after the brides of dracula on svengoolie the good stuff continues with lost in space and voyage to the bottom of the sea.

tonite's lost in space ep is the one where the monster cyclamen plants create a plant girl version of judy.

marta kristen does a good job acting aloof and distant as the plant babe and of course smith is involved.

followed by voyage to the bottom of the sea ep brand of the beast with nelson suffering a relapse of his werewolf virus.

real good stuff tonite on me tv. :)

msdmop.jpg

obviously hammer thought more of cushing than they ever did christopher lee.

they hand this vehicle to cushing for a tour-de-force performance but with no lee.

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. "Brides" was released in 1960. Christopher Lee was in five other films released that year. Not to mention several the year before. In all likelyhood he wasn't available when the film was going into production. Either that or he was being selective as to the projects he took on.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings