Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jessie Matthews

drednm

I've often wondered why Alfred Hitchcock ends The 39 Steps with a song from Evergreen -- "Tinkle Tinkle Tinkle." It comes at the very end of the film, when Mr. Memory is being debriefed by Robert Donat and the cops, and the dancing girls appear in the right background. The song was fairly new -- Evergreen was released the previous year, and the show a few years before that. But because I'm convinced that, with Hitchcock, everything is there for a reason (especially music), I'm wondering what the significance of that song is.  Possibly it's the association with another song from the show -- "Over My Shoulder;" actually the final shot of Donat and Madeline Carroll is shot from behind.

And 05:24 here:

Count me in as another big Jesse Matthews fan.

I better be more aware of the schedule, slayton. I've never seen: The Good Companions (1933) - or- Friday the Thirteenth (1933)

tom thumb (1958) Is not really a Jesse Matthews film, but good to see her older. Still adorable.

TCM has also shown FIRST A GIRL on occasion and recently SAILING ALONG. I caught THERE GOES THE BRIDE a few months ago on PBS. Our PBS has a channel that shows public domain movies all day, weekdays.

As for The 39 Steps finale. The song "Tinkle, Tinkle, Tinkle" was written for the film version of Evergreen and was not in the 1930 stage show. Aside from Matthews appearing in Hitchcock's Waltzes from Vienna, there seems to be no other connection between them when The 39 Steps was filmed. Hitch and Matthews did not get along and Matthews is pretty much a supporting player in the film which is about the father-son relationship of musicians (Johann Strauss Sr. and Jr.)

Since Evergreen was such a big hit, it was still playing when Hitch made The 39 Steps since it wasn't released until December of 1934, and "Tinkle, Tinkle, Tinkle" was a well-known tune.

As for The 39 Steps finale. The song "Tinkle, Tinkle, Tinkle" was written for the film version of Evergreen and was not in the 1930 stage show. Aside from Matthews appearing in Hitchcock's Waltzes from Vienna, there seems to be no other connection between them when The 39 Steps was filmed. Hitch and Matthews did not get along and Matthews is pretty much a supporting player in the film which is about the father-son relationship of musicians (Johann Strauss Sr. and Jr.)

Since Evergreen was such a big hit, it was still playing when Hitch made The 39 Steps since it wasn't released until December of 1934, and "Tinkle, Tinkle, Tinkle" was a well-known tune.

Yes, but -- Hitchcock never put anything in without a reason. There must be a specific, artistic, Hitchcockian reason!

He liked the song?

No, really, how about finding something in the lyrics?

I've been thinking about this off and on for years. That final scene is haunting -- what a composition!  The debriefing of Mr. Memory; the chorus line to the song; Donat and Carroll holding hands, with his handcuffs dangling.

At the end of Young and Innocent -- made a couple of years later -- the song at the end "No one can like the drummer man" gives us the clue as to the killer. In the 1956 The Man Who Knew Too Much, the title of the song "Que Sera Sera" is a line from Marlowe's Dr. Faustus. And so on...

I watched The 39 Steps again last night. Great film.

The only connection I can find that makes any sense is that Louis Levy was the musical director of both The 39 Steps and also Evergreen.

As far as I can tell:

The Good Companions (1933)

Friday the Thirteenth (1933)

Evergreen (1934)

tom thumb (1958)

You neglected to mention FIRST A GIRL. I recorded it when it aired on TCM a few months ago.

FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH (great film by the way with a younger Edmund Gwenn) was scheduled to air on TCM earlier this year but was pulled at the last minute. Was it broadcast before?

You neglected to mention FIRST A GIRL. I recorded it when it aired on TCM a few months ago.

How could I'a missed that?  My favorite Jessie Matthews movie!

FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH (great film by the way with a younger Edmund Gwenn) was scheduled to air on TCM earlier this year but was pulled at the last minute. Was it broadcast before?

My list was based on whether the TCM Database had an article on the movie.  It's been mentioned by others that is an indication it's been shown. 

• Like 1

How could I'a missed that?  My favorite Jessie Matthews movie!

My list was based on whether the TCM Database had an article on the movie.  It's been mentioned by others that is an indication it's been shown. 

Thanks for the reply. It must have been quite a long time since FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH aired, because since I've been watching TCM (from July 2008 to the present) I do not remember seeing it. I watched it on Netflix streaming (I think it is now on Amazon Prime). 

It would be nice if TCM had an evening tribute for Jessie Matthews, like they did for Beatrice Lillie recently. I'd also like to see some of Gracie Fields' British films of the 1930s.

You neglected to mention FIRST A GIRL.

I mentioned FIRST A GIRL in post seven.

EVERGREEN & FIRST A GIRL are the two most commonly broadcast Matthews' starring movies on TCM. The other titles are more spotty, and several titles TCM has never broadcast.

You may benefit by reading the posts before replying.

You neglected to mention FIRST A GIRL.

I mentioned FIRST A GIRL in post seven.

EVERGREEN & FIRST A GIRL are the two most commonly broadcast Matthews' starring movies on TCM. The other titles are more spotty, and several titles TCM has never broadcast.

You may benefit by reading the posts before replying.

Tiki,

I have had your posts on Ignore for many months. Sometimes I click to view, but most of the time I do not. Plus, my comment was to slayton, that slayton didn't mention FIRST A GIRL in an earlier list. I was wondering if slayton may have missed TCM's recent airing of that film. 

TopBilled said: Sometimes I click to view, but most of the time I do not

A-ha! I knew you hadn't read all the posts.

Yes-- guilty! LOL

It's easier to click to view on my laptop than on my phone. When I do it on my phone, it automatically scrolls back up to the most recent post in the thread, even if I am trying to view a post a page or two down. And forget trying to take someone off the Ignore feature on my phone-- that requires an advanced degree!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings