Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Character names, when fiction meets reality

mrroberts

Some years ago I was watching a then new episode of the tv series Law And Order SVU. One of the suspect characters (who turned out to be the ruthless killer) had the same name as a  real  man I know. A few days later I saw him and jokingly remarked  about his namesake  character being the notorious villain. He hadn't seen the show and I was the first to inform him about his "name" being used. Over the last 10 years or so with the endless reruns of the show on tv I am sure many people have seen that episode.  Most people will just think of it as a funny coincidence.  But for some people under certain circumstances it could be upsetting. What if some poor fellow was named Norman Bates and then that Hitchcock movie came out in 1960. How did that choice of fictional character name impact that real person?  Does anyone out   there know of some instance  where a friend became "immortalized" because their real life name  became associated with a character? This doesn't have to be a bad thing/character. Maybe your friend is Laura Petrie or Sam Malone or whatever?

I'm sure it's not that uncommon a phenomenon, but the only instance I can think of is fictional,

It's a Seinfeld episode. Elaine's boyfriend has the same name as a maniacal killer, and she tries to persuade him to change it.

I think they get into a fight over what new name to pick.

I'm sure it's not that uncommon a phenomenon, but the only instance I can think of is fictional,

It's a Seinfeld episode. Elaine's boyfriend has the same name as a maniacal killer, and she tries to persuade him to change it.

I think they get into a fight over what new name to pick.

That was "The Masseuse"

ELAINE: Of course I support your decision to change your name.

JOEL: After the Giant game I realized that this--this problem isn't going away.

ELAINE: Well, listen, I just want you to know that I was more than willing to stick it out with Joel Rifkin.

JOEL: Sure?

ELAINE: (she fakes a strangling) RRR...

JOEL: O.K. you got your list?

ELAINE: Yeah. Yeah. 10 names.

JOEL: Right.

ELAINE: O.K. And if somebody objects, you can just veto it.

JOEL: O.K.

ELAINE: O.K. You start. What's your first choice?

JOEL: Stuart.

ELAINE: (right away) No. Second choice.

JOEL: Stu--Stuart's no good?

ELAINE: I've never met a normal guy named Stuart.

JOEL: O-O.K. My second choice is... Todd.

ELAINE: (repeating to hear how it sounds) Todd. (pause) No. Veto.

JOEL: All right. Oh, Hey, I think you're gonna like my first my third choice.

ELAINE: Great...

JOEL: Alex.

ELAINE: I gotta tell you, I have a bad association with the name Alex.

JOEL: Bad bad association?

ELAINE: Yeah, in college I sat next to an Alex in art history. And he was always drinking coffee and after every sip he would go: "Ahh!". I mean every two seconds: "Ahh!". And he would take like 40 sips and after everyone: "Ahh!". I had to drop the class.

JOEL: Ned?

ELAINE: What is wrong with Ned?

JOEL: Ned's a guy who buys irregular underwear. Next!

ELAINE: Ellis.

JOEL: Ellis?! You might as well go with Alex. It's the same thing!

ELAINE: Ellis and Alex aren't even close.

JOEL: NEXT!

ELAINE: Ohh, what is the point?

JOEL: NO, NO. COME ON!

ELAINE: O.K. O.K. Remy.

JOEL: Remy Rifkin? Should I get a beret?

ELAINE: Oh, Stuart's a lot better! (talking like a baby) Little Stuart Rifkin likes to go shopping with his mother.

JOEL: Grrrr!

My Mom hung around with Mary Martin....not the one who sings. It was a pretty common name back then, and only back then would most people recognise who Mary Martin was.

My name is the same as a very famous Hollywood hairdresser. I LOVE seeing my name in any movie credits!

No characters, but I knew a guy in high school named TIM McCOY( no relation--HA!)

A girl in Jr. high named ANTOINETTE PERKINS whom everybody called "TONI"!  So, you guessed it!

By the time I got to high school, people have taken to calling girls with the name "Maureen" by the NICKNAME "MO".

Which didn't set well with  a girl in my art class named MAUREEN HOWARD!

Sepiatone

• Like 1

My Mom hung around with Mary Martin....not the one who sings. It was a pretty common name back then, and only back then would most people recognise who Mary Martin was.

My name is the same as a very famous Hollywood hairdresser. I LOVE seeing my name in any movie credits!

The only Hollywood hairdressers I know are Jon Peters and his fictional counterpart, George Roundy. I doubt whether either one is your name.

The only Hollywood hairdressers I know are Jon Peters and his fictional counterpart, George Roundy. I doubt whether either one is your name.

You'd be correct.

I first found out about this talented hairdresser when Faye Dunaway thanked her when receiving an Oscar for CHINATOWN (1974) Every kid came up to me the next day in school asking how I knew Faye Dunaway.

You'd be correct.

I first found out about this talented hairdresser when Faye Dunaway thanked her when receiving an Oscar for CHINATOWN (1974) Every kid came up to me the next day in school asking how I knew Faye Dunaway.

Faye Dunaway won the Oscar for NETWORK rather than for CHINATOWN, but she did thank her hair stylist from NETWORK (Dunaway's personal stylist for that movie) and CHINATOWN.

The same stylist also headed the hair department on two of the TWILIGHT saga movies, BREAKING DAWN PART 1 and  BREAKING DAWN PART 1. She's been the personal hair stylist for Keanu Reeves and Jeff Bridges in a few movies.

Faye Dunaway won the Oscar for NETWORK rather than for CHINATOWN, but she did thank her hair stylist from NETWORK (Dunaway's personal stylist for that movie) and CHINATOWN.

The same stylist also headed the hair department on two of the TWIGHT saga movies, BREAKING DAWN PART 1 and  BREAKING DAWN PART 1. She's been the personal hair stylist for Keanu Reeves and Jeff Bridges in a few movies.

Well, I suppose I do have to admit Jeff's hair here DOES seem absent of any split ends, anyway.

The-Big-Lebowski_Jeff-Bridges_Cowichan-c

(...but other than THAT, I don't see any real "artistry" in the dude's hairstyle here!) ;)

Well, I suppose I do have to admit Jeff's hair here DOES seem absent of any split ends, anyway.

The-Big-Lebowski_Jeff-Bridges_Cowichan-c

(...but other than THAT, I don't see any real "artistry" in the dude's hairstyle here!) ;)

Well, the stylist in question was not involved with that Jeff Bridges movie, Dargo.

Faye Dunaway won the Oscar for NETWORK rather than for CHINATOWN, but she did thank her hair stylist 

Well, she won best actress in both. I just guessed it was her CHINATOWN speech because of the year. I was in high school 74-77, so it could have been either.

Boy, you can't slide any generalities through THIS group!

Faye Dunaway won the Oscar for NETWORK rather than for CHINATOWN, but she did thank her hair stylist 

Well, she won best actress in both. I just guessed it was her CHINATOWN speech because of the year. I was in high school 74-77, so it could have been either.

Boy, you can't slide any generalities through THIS group!

Faye Dunaway was nominated for the Oscar for CHINATOWN, but Ellen Burstyn won that year for ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE.

I've never seen this clip before actually. I didn't realize that Ellen Burstyn was not present at the ceremony.

It's interesting that the camera is close on Faye Dunaway after Ellen Burstyn's name is announced then moves to a wide shot. 

PS. I've become a big Faye Dunaway fan relatively recently, TikiSoo, so I've done a bit of research on her. I'm not trying to come off as a know-it-all.

PS. I've become a big Faye Dunaway fan relatively recently, TikiSoo, so I've done a bit of research on her. I'm not trying to come off as a know-it-all.

You're not, I'm just joshin' around.

Seriously though, I appreciate your knowledgeable & opinionated posts.

I don't know these things off hand, so I referenced it with IMDB. You'll see it lists Dunaway as winning best actress in both movies:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071315/awards?ref_=tt_awd

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074958/awards?ref_=tt_awd

The same stylist also headed the hair department on two of the TWIGHT saga movies, BREAKING DAWN PART 1 and  BREAKING DAWN PART 1. She's been the personal hair stylist for Keanu Reeves and Jeff Bridges in a few movies.

The "Twilight saga" ?

Ain't that one of them thar FACEBOOK games?

I mean, ain't ALL of them FAKEBOOK games SOME kind of "saga"?

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings