Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Programming: I'm Saddened

garbagehead

There seems to have been a shift in programming. TCM Underground seems to have been gone or a month.

Worse, all weekend it's been crappy and unwatchable 1990s movies that generally run on other channels.  (It's always bad enough with Oscar month). 

Have we forever lost old movies? I'm saddened by this change.  TCM was one of the only reasons I kept cable TV. With this change, if permanent, I'm moving to streaming online or through another service.  

Any official news  release about this programming shift one can direct us too will be of interest.

There seems to have been a shift in programming. TCM Underground seems to have been gone or a month.

Worse, all weekend it's been crappy and unwatchable 1990s movies that generally run on other channels.  (It's always bad enough with Oscar month). 

Have we forever lost old movies? I'm saddened by this change.  TCM was one of the only reasons I kept cable TV. With this change, if permanent, I'm moving to streaming online or through another service.  

Any official news  release about this programming shift one can direct us too will be of interest.

Nothing different to worry about , every February and the first couple of days of March is "31 Days of Oscar"  which consists of films that were nominated for or won Academy Awards from all eras. TCM has been doing for years.

Nothing different to worry about , every February and the first couple of days of March is "31 Days of Oscar"  which consists of films that were nominated for or won Academy Awards from all eras. TCM has been doing for years.

The OP said 'It's already bad enough with Oscar month' so they were aware of Oscar month,  BUT, maybe, as you noted, NOT that the programming extends into March as well.     For the record I wish TCM would change this practice and only have 2 weeks of 'Oscar month'.

There seems to have been a shift in programming. TCM

Have we forever lost old movies?

Yes, TCM has changed. It is now the "general all-era movie channel", with lots of bright color modern films shown the most in prime time.

I now watch TCM about a tenth as much as I used to. I'm an old-movie buff, not a 1990s movie buff.

• Like 1

Yes, TCM has changed. It is now the "general all-era movie channel", with lots of bright color modern films shown the most in prime time.

Yay! Movies without content cuts and commercial interruptions that lots of people actually want to see!

More movies from the 70's - the greatest decade ever for filmmakers. Things are improving all the time with TCM's programming.

I now watch TCM about a tenth as much as I used to. I'm an old-movie buff, not a 1990s movie buff.

That's about it.  Nevertheless, it looks like my DVR will come back to life and be in use again during the next two weeks.  There will be two more Carry On movies (this will bring me up to 10 of them in the last couple years), this Friday we will be getting what looks to be an interesting array of Guy Kibbee movies, then the Wed night after that will be a block of Maisie movies (overnight).  Before the Oscar stuff, I was content with the steady flow of older 1930-ish comedies they were playing around 6am.  I wish they would at least keep that up.  I couldn't care less about newer stuff either.  That is what the Directv HD Extra Pack is all about (and other similar packages).  They sometimes play the more commonly seen stuff that TCM has, but not the older stuff that only TCM would show.  In short, it appears Turner is trying to use TCM to compete with other brands we get like EPIX, which shows uncut, post-classic older movies.  Some of the foreign films are cool too, but again that is what channels like the Sundance channel do.  I think they ought to remain unique and focus on what they do best: showing older classic-era movies.

TCM has changed, and the TCM we know and love is probably gone forever. It's been coming for awhile. TCM will either become a pay channel or, more likely, a commercial channel. This is about drawing in more of the "coveted 18 to 25 year olds" for advertising. It was great while it lasted. RIP TCM.

From 8 pm Wednesday to 1:15 pm Thursday, every movie TCM is showing is from the 30s or the 40s. Is that old enough for you and soon enough for you? Could you look at a schedule for heaven's sake before you make such a ridiculously incorrect post?

You're all the same person, right? Month after month, year after year, somebody allegedly making their first post ever says the same thing again and again and again and again and again without variation. And that person rarely if ever makes more than handful of other posts.

Just admit you're all the same person.

• Like 1

And you know, while I'm on a roll here, why don't you define which '90s movies you think specifically are crappy and unwatchable? Do you know how many movies from the '90s TCM actually showed? SEVEN! Is your life ruined because of seven movies? Do you know how many more movies from the '30s got shown than movies from the '90s during 31 Days? Why don't you look it up? And I think the

90s movies were all highly watchable. If anything, your comments expose your narrow-minded tastes than they do quality of programming.

You throw out a bunch of blanket statements that express an utter lack of knowledge of the programming of the network in general over a long period of time. I think you should become a little more informed before you speak again.

Of course, you won't speak again until you post under yet another name as another alleged first time ever poster.

• Like 1

For the record I wish TCM would change this practice and only have 2 weeks of 'Oscar month'.

Actually, that's not a bad idea, I would think after all these years, it must be harder and harder for TCM to come up with various Oscar related themes that they haven't done before. Still, along with "Summer Under The Stars", it's one of their two, big, month-long programming "events"each year and if it wasn't working for them, I would have thought they'd have changed it a long time ago.

It really is a shame that TCM is the only classic film channel in the history of the universe ! Who cares if I just saw "Night and the City" on some other channel...that doesn't matter. TCM must some how only play movies I want to see, right now ! And if they don't, its R.I.P. No in between.

Who cares about essentials (they're not my essentials so they don't count). (And since I can't rip the movies, I'll rip the co hosts)

Star of the month ( But, its not my favorite obscure actor. They only use famous, popular stars for that ). (who cares if its so great that other channels are copying it ).

31 Days of Oscar nominated films (I'm tired of watching great awarded films )

Summer under the Stars (Once again the did not include my favorite obscure, unknown actor )

Maybe if TCM could try just a little harder, they could please all of the people, all of the time. A feat that's never ever been done.    :P

TCM has changed, and the TCM we know and love is probably gone forever. It's been coming for awhile. TCM will either become a pay channel or, more likely, a commercial channel. This is about drawing in more of the "coveted 18 to 25 year olds" for advertising. It was great while it lasted. RIP TCM.

TCM is better than ever. More than 70 percent of its offerings are still studio-era movies - probably closer to 80 percent. Not very different than ever before, but when a newer classic shows up now and again, there are always those who simply can't abide it.

Some people are just too selfish to please. I've never demanded or requested of any broadcaster that it show only what I want to see and nothing else, and it's beyond my understanding that someone who is getting their needs met by a station nearly 80 percent of the time would be unhappy about it.

• Like 6

TCM is better than ever. More than 70 percent of its offerings are still studio-era movies - probably closer to 80 percent. Not very different than ever before, but when a new classic shows up now and again, there are always those who simply can't abide it.

Some people are just too selfish to please. I've never demanded or requested of any broadcaster that it show only what I want to see and nothing else, and it's beyond my understanding that someone who is getting their needs met by a station nearly 80 percent of the time would be unhappy about it.

Unfortunately, your words are going to fall on deaf ears. Or worse, non-responsive responses.

Prove it.

Once again they did not include my favorite obscure, unknown actor 

I don't think it's a bad idea for viewers to come on to this site and ask TCM's programmers to play more obscure actors' movies. Shouldn't TCM be a place where we can broaden our knowledge of film?

This thread fails in my opinion, because the OP is making blanket statements about TCM that simply are not true. And then we have others showing a lack of tolerance, coming on to the thread to mock the OP. Threads like these, as repetitive as the topic may seem, should foster an open dialogue.

screen-shot-2015-03-02-at-9-04-29-pm.png

A fact is that eight out of ten recent TCM database searches have focused on post-code films. But it is also a fact that after the 31 Days of Oscar ends, the TCM schedule will feature plenty of code films from the 30s, 40s & 50s.

One of the issues that we do not seem to address is that people are not bothered by color films, nor are they troubled about films that use newer technologies. They are mostly upset that modern films do not adhere to a code of morals. These people come to TCM to watch movies the Cleavers and Nelsons would watch. But if TCM only aired those kinds of films, we would have Kirk Cameron as one of the hosts. And the pope would be a guest programmer. I know, I know-- some people think that would be a good thing.

• Like 1

Everytime this thread comes up (once a month probably?), I think the problem always boils down to the definition of "classic."  Some people are more narrow in their definiton of "classic" and for whatever reason assign an arbitrary time frame as to what constitutes a "classic film."  Perhaps this is due to the Studio Era being often defined as "Classic Hollywood," thus, only "classic films" were produced during this time.

However, I think TCM definitely intended on a broader definition of "classic" in the sense that they want to show a variety of films from different eras that they think movie audiences will enjoy.  Time keeps marching on, eventually, films from new eras will have to be introduced.  If TCM never evolves and continues only showing films from a narrow 40-year time frame, eventually, they will run out of things to show and then people will complain about repetitiveness.  By slowly integrating films from more recent decades, they can continue to evolve. 

Personally, while I do enjoy studio era films and consider many of them favorite films of mine, I also enjoy the films of the 1960s and 1970s.  There were a lot of great films made during that time.  Despite all it's detractors, TCM, for my book, still provides the best mix of studio era and more modern era films.  I've discovered many films and stars from newer time periods that I've enjoyed just as much as films from the studio era.  Sure, films from this time are definitely different than those of the studio era, but I don't think that's a bad thing, it's just a different time.

Re: films of the 1980s, 1990s and 2000s, it's crazy to not consider any films from this time classics.  While I agree that it would be a little premature to declare a recently produced film a classic, I think enough time has passed since the 1980s and 1990s that some films from this time can be considered classics.  There were just as many terrible films produced during the studio era as there were terrible films produced in more recent decades. 

I'm happy with TCM's offerings and look forward to Ann Sothern and Roadshow Musicals month!

There will be two more Carry On movies (this will bring me up to 10 of them in the last couple years),

I mentioned this when the March schedule was posted, and I'll mention it again. Whoever scheduled Carry On Cleo for the eve of the Ides of March is a genius. Or was it just luck?  And once again, here is one of the greatest lines in movie history, spoken by Kenneth Williams as Julius Caesar: "Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it infamy!"

However, I think TCM definitely intended on a broader definition of "classic" in the sense that they want to show a variety of films from different eras that they think movie audiences will enjoy.  Time keeps marching on, eventually, films from new eras will have to be introduced.  If TCM never evolves and continues only showing films from a narrow 40-year time frame, eventually, they will run out of things to show and then people will complain about repetitiveness.  By slowly integrating films from more recent decades, they can continue to evolve. 

Not sure if i agree with the points being made in that paragraph. When TV shows cease production and go into syndication there are only x-number of episodes before they get re-run again. There is a finite amount of product before it gets repeated. That is also true of films made in the 30s, 40s & 50s. No new films from those decades are being made, and if a channel (not TCM necessariliy) wanted to just show movies from those three decades, yes they would reach a point where they ran out of premieres, but so what. Isn't the point that favorite classics audiences want to see are available for viewing?

One issue with TCM expanding its library with new product is that it takes longer for some non-Essential films to be shown again. Newer product is cutting in on time that was previously allocated for older product. But much of today's newer product (films from the early 2000s) will eventually get pushed into the background when it becomes old and the trend is to show classics from the 2030s and 2040s. 

I am not advocating TCM focus on certain decades, nor am I saying that more recent films can't be classics. But in my humble opinion, the definition of classic film is getting murkier not clearer. Should we get sad about it? Of course not. Should people stop watching TCM? Of course not.

I mentioned this when the March schedule was posted, and I'll mention it again. Whoever scheduled Carry On Cleo for the eve of the Ides of March is a genius. Or was it just luck?  And once again, here is one of the greatest lines in movie history, spoken by Kenneth Williams as Julius Caesar: "Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it infamy!"

Yeah, I like jokes like that.

My favorite is the long lost fakawee tribe who can sometimes be heard wandering through the jungles - "fakawee...fakawee...where da fakawee?"

But in my humble opinion, the definition of classic film is getting murkier not clearer.

It was always murky. It's not getting any clearer, but it's not getting any murkier either.

"Classic" just has too many definitions and many of them are so prone to subjectivism that I doubt a single universally accepted definition in terms of movies will ever be agreed upon.

• Like 1

"Classic" just has too many definitions and many of them are so prone to subjectivism that I doubt a single universally accepted definition in terms of movies will ever be agreed upon.

I agree. It's an overused word. Classic films, classic cokes, classic cars-- it's a marketing gimmick.

But classic does not exactly mean old. It should mean 'timeless' or 'of great distinction,' maybe 'without peer.'