Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

the swarm...

NipkowDisc

today at three thirty. always a good one for me. a bad film on the whole but quite watchable because of good acting from michael caine, henry fonda and richard widmark.

the always inventive irwin allen comes up with nifty ways to kill celebs on film.

he has bees sting jose ferrer and richard chamberlain and then blows them up along with a whole nuclear plant.

not satisfied with that, he has a train derail with hordes of unfortunates aboard like fred macmurray, olivia de haviland and ben johnson.

good ol' irwy!

he shoulda ran for prez on a platform of bee prevention. :lol:

I got the goldsmith score on cd. :)

today at three thirty. always a good one for me. a bad film on the whole but quite watchable because of good acting from michael caine, henry fonda and richard widmark.

the always inventive irwin allen comes up with nifty ways to kill celebs on film.

he has bees sting jose ferrer and richard chamberlain and then blows them up along with a whole nuclear plant.

not satisfied with that, he has a train derail with hordes of unfortunates aboard like fred macmurray, olivia de haviland and ben johnson.

good ol' irwy!

Thanks for explaining the entire plot.  I can skip it now.

good ol' irwy!

Masha's worst nightmare?  :lol:

The movie fed on the fear on the spread of the Africanized killer bees.

I got the soundtrack LP for (believe it or not) for .50 when the movie was first released.  When it appeared in my local downtown theatre, I told the manager about the score and was interested in having it.  He gave me a promotional offer directed toward the theatre management itself.  I only had to mail it in along with the pocket change.

!B9gospwBWk~$(KGrHqF,!i0EzNfnmhtzBM6CG,d

I read the novel by Arthur Herzog before the movie came out. The novel is great! A real page turner - couldn't put it down.

So, when the movie disappointed, I wasn't surprised at all. Always happens when I read the book first - and in this case, the movie was way inferior to the novel. Where the novel had been really interesting - with a lot of information about bees and their culture - and really scary as well, the movie just came across as ridiculous. Something had gotten seriously lost in the translation.

Nevertheless, I'm gonna be recording it today. Michael Caine is one of my favorite actors of all time - even if he did do a whole bunch of paycheck movies along the way. I can imagine maybe liking it more now.

Interestingly, the dvd version of the movie runs nearly 40 minutes longer than the theatrical version. Comments I've read are conflicting about which version is better - some say the longer cut is more dramatic and like it better; some say Allen's theatrical cut at 116 minutes is better because it's tighter.

But, as the dvd has an awfully big price attached to it, I probably won't be able to decide for myself.

I've noted the earlier VHS releases of 'THE SWARM' were the theatrical version with the 116-minute run time and then sometime in the mid-'90s I believe the 156-minute Extended Cut' came out on VHS and DVD.  > I don't know if the 116-minute edition ever came out on DVD . . .? 

(It seems there's also 2 versions available on VHS/DVD-R of Irwin Allen's 1980 "throw-in-everything-but-the-kitchen-sink" disaster movie WHEN TIME RAN OUT . . .).  

wow, just who ISN'T in this turkey.....?

since I recorded this today on my vcr ( an inexpensive low-cost alternative to dvr ) plus I got tons and tons of vhs tapes even some unopened plus I have two vcrs I grabbed from a trash depot. :D

later on I'll watch it and see what the running time is.  something to watch later after the eleven o'clock news.

Sheila Mathews-Allen?...

YA-HOOOO! YA-HOOO!

3477frr.jpg

What ever happened to DRACULA (1931) and INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956)??

Not in color? The kids don't like color?

Kids don't pay cable bills.... their older parents do.

Older people pay satellite and cable bills. Kids do not.

What ever happened to DRACULA (1931) and INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956)??

Not in color? The kids don't like color?

Kids don't pay cable bills.... their older parents do.

Older people pay satellite and cable bills. Kids do not.

The majority of the movies TCM shows are b&w films.    This is true even during Oscar month (plus a few days), when TCM does show more post Production code movies.    

What? No Charlton Heston??

What a great opportunity it'd have been to see him grab the back of his neck and growl "you damn dirty bees!"

• Like 2

This was my first time to ever watch THE SWARM, and it was truly horrible, but my God, what a cast! Though many of them were pretty much wasted. Jose Ferrer gets about two minutes; Richard Chamberlain's part was surprisingly small, and the whole Olivia DeHavilland-Ben Johnson-Fred MacMurray love triangle gets summarily dismissed from the film via train wreck.

Still, sometimes I enjoy watching terrible movies, like THE OSCAR, which is being discussed on another thread. I particularly like terrible movies with an overloaded, star-studded cast, and Irwin Allen gave us a number of those.

I wouldn't mind seeing TCM devoting its Friday Night Spotlight one month to the various disaster flicks of the '70s that are loaded down with stars from the studio era who appear at a younger age regularly on TCM. Just think: we could have AIRPORT and any or all of its sequels, THE TOWERING INFERNO, THE SWARM, HURRICANE, THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE, EARTHQUAKE and any others I'm forgetting.

• Like 1

I liked the disclaimer at the end about these being African killer bees, and not good, honest American honeybees. I couldn't figure if Irwin Allen meant that disclaimer seriously, or as a joke to see who's reading the credits.

Oh, and I just have to mention a couple of things that made me laugh. The command at the end for the tankers to "spread their oil out into the Gulf of Mexico". Just think, in this movie, BP could have been the heroes! And Richard Widmark refusing to ever follow up the word "African" with "bees", hence he's always saying something like, "We've got to find a way to kill those Africans!" and "The Africans are out of control!" If you take those remarks out of context or start watching the movie in the middle maybe and have no idea what he's talking about, it seems horribly racist.

Here's a few other Angry Bee movies I can think of; maybe TCM will air these at some time if they haven't already!

BEES, The (1978) Color/83 mins. 

Here's a direct quote from the 1990 edition of Leonard Maltin's Video Guide:

"After THE SWARM, if you sincerely want to see this low-budget disaster film about killer bees, you get what you deserve.  Filmed in Mexico."

Leonard's Rating: *½ (a half-star above 'BOMB').  Starring Angel Tompkins, John Saxon, Claudio Brook, John Carradine, Alicia Encinias.

DEADLY BEES, The (1967-UK)  This one's fun.  Dig the special effects, too!

SAVAGE BEES, The (1976-Tv movie)

TERROR OUT OF THE SKY (1978-Tv movie) (aka:  'The Savage Bees, Part 2') 

Beeeeeeeeeeees!

Don't forget y'all, there's TV TERROR from Irwin Allen out there, too . . . and it's waiting to be foisted upon viewers!  

FLOOD! (1976)

FIRE! (1977)

CAVE-IN! (1983)  Filmed in 1979

NIGHT THE BRIDGE FELL DOWN, The (1983)  Filmed in 1980

"FLOOD!" and "FIRE!" were both made available on VHS in 1986 (along with Irwin's 1980 theatrical disaster movie "WHEN TIME RAN OUT . . . "), but "CAVE-IN" wasn't released to homevideo viewers until Warner Archives made it available to purchase via DVD-R a few years ago.  Same with "THE NIGHT THE BRIDGE FELL DOWN"; a DVD-R only release. 

-----------------------------

Also >  Remember Michael Caine's 3 other "just for the money" movies from that time period: 

BEYOND THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE (1979)

ISLAND, The (1980) 

HAND, The (1981)

Also >  Remember Michael Caine's 3 other "just for the money" movies from that time period: 

BEYOND THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE (1979)

ISLAND, The (1980) 

HAND, The (1981)

I liked 'The Island'. Pretty good adventure movie.

The all-time nadir for him has to be 'Jaws: The Revenge'. Most pay-checked of all his paycheck movies. Just abysmal, that one.

Probably nothing better sums up Michael Caine's work ethic than this anecdote: when he won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for HANNAH AND HER SISTERS, he was unable to attend the ceremony because he was in Australia shooting JAWS 4! A ha ha ha ha. I think he even made a joke about it when he won again for THE CIDER HOUSE RULES (this time, he showed up). He's been in some great movies, but he's certainly been an "anything for a paycheck" guy, at least during portions of his career. Heck, he still shows up frequently in movies. I just saw him in KINGSMEN, and he was in INTERSTELLAR not long before that.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings