Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Great Triple Bill On TCM Tonight

While it's still just a guessing game, I think it's easier to make a case that the wife did not survive that visit by the psychotic killer.

By the way, perhaps it will make viewers appreciate the performance of Kelly MacDonald, the actress who played Moss's wife with a perfect south west Texas accent, to know that in real life she speaks with a noteworthy Scottish accent. She gives a beautifully natural performance in No Country, though it's the three males leads in the film that dominate the proceedings. Nevertheless, she holds her own in her scenes with all three male actors in the film.

a0420d07-b0a2-4d77-acf4-b2274587df3e_zps

All the performances in No Country for Old Men are impressive. I thought Josh Brolin was perfect as Moss, convincingly portraying an independent soul with strong country smarts and a survivor instinct. He has a chance to get out of poverty and strike it big and he's going for it.

Yes, agree on all counts. She played a domestic in the English setting Gosford Park. I havent seen that in awhile, but assume she used her natural accent as I seem to remember she had one.........

"the artist" and "King's Speech" made an excellent double bill with one another for all sorts of reasons but not the least of which is that the "meat" of both films is so similar (focusing on speech problems.) and yet the circumstances of the stories contrasted...the two films just compliment one another so intricately and on all sorts of levels...

secondly: both films fit TCM's schedule like a glove and I'd be happy to see either of them again on TCM throughout the year.

and third: I felt like they were also intriguing contrasts in "a little" and "a lot"- but both done well.

"The artist" being "a little": a slender story, obviously not much dialogue, a pretty simple conclusion not much plotting really...but rendered so artfully and with such earnest acting and ACE production values, that, really, there's not much you could do to improve on it (although there were some minor issues I thought could have used some dusting.) *.a BIG debt is owed to Bernard Herrmann.

and then "the Kings Speech" which was of course "a lot": a lot of plot, a lot of dialogue, a lot of characters, a lot of complicated scenarios and research that had to be done....but with issues I have about historical inaccuracies aside, it was also really really well done.

and of course the acting all around was sterling- although....I don't know, I'm not entirely sure Helena Bonham Carter captured Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon (sic?) as well as she might have (or as she truly was.)

(but those of you who know me well know I'm never truly happy with anything in entirety.)

either way, i'd give both an "A".

• Like 1

a BIG debt is owed to Bernard Herrmann.

You brought up an interesting aspect to The Artist which I had forgotten, Lorna.

While Herrmann's Vertigo score works well with the scenes depicting the actor's growing depondency in The Artist (in whatever film the music plays, it remains haunting), I still wondered why a film that had, I believe, otherwise largely original music created by Ludovic Bource decided to borrow one of the more famous and celebrated film scores for their project.

Of course, film buffs familiar with the Hitchcock film will twig to it, but, so what? It's as if the filmmakers were saying, "Musically, we can't hope to create anything better than this so let's use it." I'm a little surprised that Bource hadn't written original music of his own for those scenes, even if it couldn't quite match up to Herrmann's. (Who knows, possibly he did, and it was a producer's decision to replace it).

I think whether the wife was killed or not is left up to the individual

audience member. Bardem is just sitting there in the chair in the

corner of the room. Didn't see his rifle around. Of course he could

have a pistol or knife on his person. Or he could strangle her. He

does wipe his shoes on the way out, so that makes one assume he

is wiping blood off his shoes, though he was careful in a previous

killing to keep the blood off his boots. I lean toward him killing the

wife. I had forgotten the details of his "pact" with Moss, but I think

he was angry that the wife would not go along with his old coin flip

trick. In his twisted mind I think that made him think he was not really

responsible for killing the person if the coin went against them. It was

just a matter of chance. The wife wouldn't go along, so he killed her.

Plus he just liked to kill people anyway.

Yeah, I didnt see him as the type that would leave any "loose ends:" lying around. The wife knew too much. And he enjoyed killing.....

I looked at the script and in that final scene between the wife and

Bardem there is no mention of a coin toss, so I either misremembered

it or the script was changed. Well, I still think her number was up. One

of the final lines between them is something like That's the way things

work out or something similar, which sort of hints that she's a goner.

I wonder if any of his victims was thinking to themselves Cut out all

this semi-philosophical jibber jabber and just shoot me (or not).

Yeah, I'm sure there was a coin toss in that scene as she refused to call it. You could see it in the look of resignation in her face that she knew she was a goner. Has been awhile since I've seen the film....

Well I guess I still have some of my marbles left as I could have

sworn they were talking about the coin toss and she wouldn't play

along. I saw it a year or two ago and liked it very much and just

as much this time around. Now if only he hadn't gone back with

that gallon jug of water for a guy who was likely dead anyway.....

I did catch some of the details in the screenplay that I missed

while watching the movie.

Since they wrote the script, directed and produced it, they probably made some changes along the way and in the editing room. I saw the film when it came out and once on tv since then.

I looked at the script and in that final scene between the wife and

Bardem there is no mention of a coin toss,

What you need is a TRANSCRIPT of the movie dialogue, not a "working script" that was later changed.