Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Repeat Repeat

tulse luper

We saw Fiddler on the Roof (31 Days of Oscar) on Sunday

and it palys again on Friday March  (Roadshow Presentations).

There was nothing else in the TCM Library that was a Roadshow film that could be shown.

Lazy programming again.

I think, especially since they inked a new deal with Disney, there should have been at least one Disney roadshow movie, like maybe THE HAPPIEST MILLIONAIRE. Before he died, Walt was trying to create his idea of the ultimate roadshow musical. 

But you're right-- for the most part, they are using the Friday Night Spotlight to trot out the old stand-bys in the Turner Library. I am sure if GONE WITH THE WIND had musical elements it would have been included, too. 

However, this isn't unique to March's spotlight. Each of the Friday Night Spotlights for several months now have been part of an overall scheme to re-present films that are already in heavy rotation. (I know 'scheme' sounds like the wrong word, but it is definitely a marketing gimmick to get people to keep re-watching a lot of the same films again and again.)

I can sympathize with viewers/fans who expect a little bit more from this type of TCM programming. Maybe instead of all the hype and advertising for it, they could use some of the money to lease expensive titles from other studios that people want to see. 

Well, a lot of the usual suspects, but not everything. Goodbye, Mr. Chips and Finian's Rainbow arent shown that often. And Star! rarely is. Think it may have been shown once, if that. They need to give Funny Girl and Oliver! a rest. They seem to be on monthly the last year or so..........

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings