Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

for a switch--annoying voices

tracey65k

Elizabeth Taylor ... sometimes. Her voice doesn't match the rest of her IMO. Also, the "Working Girl" girl who was married to what's his face who had the Miami TV show---can't think of her name. The kittenish little-girl sound can be a bit much. Also in the modern era, Kevin Costner, who doesn't seem (to my ears anyway) to speak properly, producing a sound not supported by the diaphragm, coming across instead with a superficial throaty sound.

Thanks, Johnnyweekes, Melanie Griffith. Sorry for that slip-shod way of referring to her. Actually, I liked her performance in that movie but that doesn't make me feel any better about that kind of voice.

I reluctantly agree about Marilyn---reluctant, because I ADORE her, she is the ne plus ultra (I recently learned this phrase so I'm throwing it at you. But very apt here) in feminine sex appeal. I think her voice hindered her attempts to the serious, dramatic roles she always wanted and instead kept her mired in those dumb blonde roles she abhorred.

ayresorchids, Marilyn wouldn't have made it as a vocalist in the singing world IMO but I agree that her voice was more than just fine for her movie roles. Speaking of deepness, I though it charming the way she tried to lower her voice in River of No Return. She wanted to sound like the tough gal but you could tell it wasn't natural. I think this was an attempt to shed that breathy high-pitched, little-girl voice that so plagued her.

The actress who played Gwendolyn in The Importance of Being Ernest was the wonderful Joan Greenwood, whose distinctive throaty voice was a treaure! (You can also see (and hear) her in Whiskey Galore, The Man in the White Suit and Tom Jones) Tastes certainly differ - I love her voice!

Sue's gotta be pulling our leg or something...right Sue? By the way, the funny thing about Hagen is that she was a fantastic singer that actually dubbed alot of Debbie Reynolds' songs in Singin' In The Rain. My vote for most annyoing voice is Shelly Winters!!! I'm surprised Lee Tracy hasn't been brought up, although I love Lee Tracy.

Wow, for a countless number of years' I was under the impression that Jean Hagen sang the "Would You" number in Singin' In The Rain. It sounded like the exact sound of her voice, but I looked it up on Amazon.com and indeed you are right it was sung by Betty Noyes. I learn something new everyday!

Thanks to all for the information. And Helen--I have said it before--I have short term memory loss and some things just don't pop into my mind like they used to. I know Singing In The Rain was a major film, but to my mind it was just something else to try to remember and bring forward. I have a lot of problems with that now and it doesn't please me at all. :) Sue

Most annoying voices? Goodness-Jean Harlow had the most uncultured nasal voice of ALL time-it NEVER improved a bit! Also,Shelly Winter's whine was also awful. Elizabeth Taylor did not have the voice to match those elegant looks-it always was a little screechy and common,which is odd because she was British,and that can usually be molded into a good smooth tone in Hollywood. For men-Dan Duryea,but he meant to irritate! Also,F. Panghorn! And of course,Jerry Lewis-some of his shrieks are ungodly!