Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

for a switch--annoying voices

tracey65k

I recall Andy Devine, and his raspy voice, mostly as Guy Madison's sidekick in tv's "Wild Bill Hickok" in the 1950's. However, he certainly had a long career in films, besides just westerns. I recall the Leslie Howard, Norma Shearer 1936 version of Shakepeare's "Romeo and Juliet" and I heard that unmistakeable raspy voice. Sure enough it was Andy. I looked it up in the TCM database to confirm I wasn't hearing things, and found that not only was Andy in the film, he had a very respectable character role. Andy Devine doing Shakespeare in a major MGM production. I thought he did just fine too.

Rusty

It sounds nuts doesn't it...Andy Devine doing Shakespeare. Besides that raspy voice, he just did not look right in those 14th or 15th century tights. I guess in my mind I have type-casted him in western gear. It has been a good while, but from what I recall, he does well in his role.

Michael

Oh yes, you're right: Roseanne Whatever-Her-Name-Is-This-Week

But special mention MUST be given to Madonna: whether it's her "I'm British now!" accent or her natural voice, I think it's grating.

Marlon Brando (I have a tough time watching his movies because of that strangled-sounding voice)

Phil Silvers (but maybe it's just because I can't stand the man...so the same could be said for Tom Cruise & Mel Gibson, both of whom I wish would just disappear into a black hole)

Rex Harrison (I love Brits but that weird voice of his gives me the creeps)

Woody Allen

Keanu Reeves

Franklin Pangborne (sp?)

Ron Silver

And, as someone already astutely noted, Butterfly McQueen

I'm with gmabfd - Lizabeth Scott puts me to sleep (sorry Lizabeth)

Jennifer Tilly (ala Melanie who 'babyfies' her voice - and seems to be seeking infant status)

Jason Alexander

re: Andy Devine -- I'm sure there were a few characters in old Verona. lol He didn't detract from my enjoyment of watching Norma and Leslie.

• 6 months later...

> sweetbabykmd, isn't it funny how a little

> notoriety and an emphasis on flash rather than

> content changes (or brings out the real) people?

>

> I now find both Rachel Ray and Paula Deen

> insufferable.

Sorry it took me 6 months to reply to you stoneyburke. I can't stand listening to Rachel Ray anymore, she's over the top, and now Paula Deen has sold out.

I think the only reason Patricia Neal annoys me is that, at least in her early films, she strikes me as some studio's and/or casting director's attempt to find a younger Barbara Stanwyck. First Neal got the role in *The Fountainhead* that Stanwyck desperately wanted and lobbied for, and then some of her roles in the early 50's (like in *Diplomatic Courier*) seem so Stanwyck-like that when I watch them, all I can think about is how much I'd have rather seen Stanwyck in the part.

In other words, it may be just a misplaced sense of loyalty.

I find Helen Hunt's dull, uninflected, lugubrious speaking voice very difficult to listen to for more than 30 seconds at a time. I saw her onstage - she has absolutely no projecting power.

The sound of voices like Thelma Ritter's were the voices I grew up with (though I don't think I've got one), and they make me feel at home (hers and Connie Gilchrist's).

A really annoying voice belonged to Mae Busch (of Laurel & Hardy movies), but it was supposed to annoy you, and if you take it in context, I think it's bearable.

I don't have as much problem with the sound of male voices of classic films. Maybe it's the recording process, which mellowed out their voices? I may be put off by a manner of speech, but the voice itself doesn't bother me.

"And who does the voice of Marge Simpson?"

Julie Kavner is the voice of Marge Simpson. Previously, she was better known as a regular on the Tracey Ullman Show and as Rhoda Morgenstern's sister, on Valerie Harper's sit com... Simpson, of course, is a character voice performed by Ms. Kavner.

> "And who does the voice of Marge Simpson?"

>

> Julie Kavner is the voice of Marge Simpson.

> Previously, she was better known as a regular on the

> Tracey Ullman Show and as Rhoda

> Morgenstern's sister, on Valerie Harper's sit com...

> Simpson, of course, is a character voice performed

> by Ms. Kavner.

Interesting to note that in the first year or two of "The Simpsons," Kavner's reading of Marge was much scratchier and more off-putting that it is now. And Homer spoke like Walter Matthau. I like it better now.

The voice of another actress on that show, Tress MacNeil, is poison to me, unless she is disguising the true sound of her voice in a character. When she speaks as a normal woman, in that brassy voice, it sets my teeth on edge.

• 2 months later...