Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The J.R.R. Tolkien LOTR/Hobbit sagas

NipkowDisc

I had never read any of the books, but always wanted to. I was given two premiere tickets to the first movie and hoped it would be an easy introduction to what I expected was a great story. The auditorium was like a geek festival-boy was I excited!

Instead, I was extremely disappointed with the movie; the sets, costumes and cgi looked cheap and fake not pulling me into any sort of fantasy. Either the acting was ametuerish, or the writing not very good, because I never cared about ANY of the charactors. In stead of a multi-layered intricate story, all I saw was a long "chase" storyline that meandered here, there with seemingly no purpose other than introduce another "monster".

I really wanted to like it, but it was no more than an overblown, expensive version of a Harryhousen sandal movie, inho.

I had never read any of the books, but always wanted to. I was given two premiere tickets to the first movie and hoped it would be an easy introduction to what I expected was a great story. The auditorium was like a geek festival-boy was I excited!

Instead, I was extremely disappointed with the movie; the sets, costumes and cgi looked cheap and fake not pulling me into any sort of fantasy. Either the acting was ametuerish, or the writing not very good, because I never cared about ANY of the charactors. In stead of a multi-layered intricate story, all I saw was a long "chase" storyline that meandered here, there with seemingly no purpose other than introduce another "monster".

I really wanted to like it, but it was no more than an overblown, expensive version of a Harryhousen sandal movie, inho.

I watched all three LOTR films on tcm the other nite. the whole thing came across as very repetitious. I mean how many battles are we talking about here in all three movies? dozens? the main warrior guy with the short scruffy beard looked like one of the carlin brothers from high plains drifter. :lol:

and does all that cgi require continuous sweeping camera angles throughout? that's my main complaint. why the continuous sweeping camera shots? even that gets monotonous. I was hopin' sauron would finally show up and finish 'em all off. :lol:

I watched all three LOTR films on tcm the other nite. the whole thing came across as very repetitious. I mean how many battles are we talking about here in all three movies? dozens? the main warrior guy with the short scruffy beard looked like one of the carlin brothers from high plains drifter. :lol:

and does all that cgi require continuous sweeping camera angles throughout? that's my main complaint. why the continuous sweeping camera shots? even that gets monotonous. I was hopin' sauron would finally show up and finish 'em all off. :lol:

if you ask me, Ralph Bakshi's 1977 animated film is much better than all this peter jackson shakespearean wannabe crap.

Great books (read them three times), great movies (seen them a number of times).  Tolkien and Jackson: geniuses of the first order. 

Books and movies: great sagas put into incredibly vivid form in the theater of the mind and the theater of the silver screen.  I bow to and salute both visionary men.  In other words: they did the world a great and lasting creative service.  To those pitiful ones who don't like the books or don't like the movies or don't like either all I can only say is PHOOEY!  Heil Tolkien and heil Jackson!

Has anyone here read Stephen R. Donaldson's The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant series?

These are similar to Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, but not as richly detailed.

I have read all the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.  Very good overall with the First Chronicles being the best in my opinion.  Not as good as Tolkien's books but still quite good.  I also like Terry Brooks, Melanie Rawn, David Eddings, R. A. Salvatore and Terry Goodkind novels and other authors.  I like these kinds of fantasy books. 

HOBBIT SAGAS?

Aren't those FACEBOOK games?

Anyway,  Tolkien books were all the rage back in the '70's but I've found them to be just as, if not MORE boring than the JACKSON circle-jerk of movies!  Couldn't get into them, so needless to say, I've never sat through( and still managed to stay awake) ANY of those flicks.

Sepiatone

HOBBIT SAGAS?

Aren't those FACEBOOK games?

Anyway,  Tolkien books were all the rage back in the '70's but I've found them to be just as, if not MORE boring than the JACKSON circle-jerk of movies!  Couldn't get into them, so needless to say, I've never sat through( and still managed to stay awake) ANY of those flicks.

Sepiatone

A pity. A great pity.  My condolences.

CONDOLENCES?

Why on EARTH?

It should be I feeling sorry for you  in thinking this crud was good literature and great film making.

But, I don't like BRUSSELS SPROUTS either, in spite of MILLIONS of people with dead taste buds LOVING them!  ;)

Sepiatone

CONDOLENCES?

Why on EARTH?

It should be I feeling sorry for you  in thinking this crud was good literature and great film making.

But, I don't like BRUSSELS SPROUTS either, in spite of MILLIONS of people with dead taste buds LOVING them!  ;)

Sepiatone

I don't like brussels sprouts either so out of several trillion things in life we have that one little itty bitty item in common but I do love Middle Earth and am sorry for your Orc-like dislike of hobbits, elves, dwarfs and ents.

Great books (read them three times), great movies (seen them a number of times).  Tolkien and Jackson: geniuses of the first order. 

Books and movies: great sagas put into incredibly vivid form in the theater of the mind and the theater of the silver screen.  I bow to and salute both visionary men.  In other words: they did the world a great and lasting creative service.  To those pitiful ones who don't like the books or don't like the movies or don't like either all I can only say is PHOOEY!  Heil Tolkien and heil Jackson!

Heil?  Tolkien would have been gravely insulted.

Heil?  Tolkien would have been gravely insulted.

I too thought the "heil" thing was unfortunate.

However, I think the poster meant to say "hail". Although both are obviously more or less the same word with the same etymological origin, "heil" has a terrible connotation which I doubt rr intended.

I too thought the "heil" thing was unfortunate.

However, I think the poster meant to say "hail". Although both are obviously more or less the same word with the same etymological origin, "heil" has a terrible connotation which I doubt rr intended.

I think the poster got carried away, leading to an unintended revelation.

I think the poster got carried away, leading to an unintended revelation.

Since I am an American of German heritage and not a big fan of arrogant England and Englishmen though I like what many individual Englishmen have written, I meant heil which is German for hail.  Tolkien wrote what was essentially a Middle European (Middle Earth) myth/saga of Nordic/Germanic conception/life not a fable of England.  The only part very English were the nicer-than-nice Hobbits and their idyllic pseudo-English countryside Shire.  Heil to Tolkien and Jackson for a rousing story.  A most Germanic/Aryan myth propagated nicely by Tolkien.  He knew exactly what he was writing.  Good French/Germans/Poles/Danes/Scandinavians/Balkans/Balts and "English"allies called Hobbits winning in the end over very bad German legions.

I don't like brussels sprouts either so out of several trillion things in life we have that one little itty bitty item in common but I do love Middle Earth and am sorry for your Orc-like dislike of hobbits, elves, dwarfs and ents.

If those books managed to keep me awake long enough, I might have some vague idea of what you're talkin' about! 

You must be a killer at parties!

Or possibly, a party killer!  :lol:

Sepiatone