Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

4 Julie Andrews Musicals On March 20th :)

What a great treat for musical fans and especially Julie Andrews musical fans (like me) on March 20.

TCM is airing 4 Julie Andrews musicals that evening as part of the Friday Night Spotlight.

What a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious night it will be.

I've never seen Darling Lili or Star! so I'm really looking forward to those two.

And my most favorite Juie Andrews musical - Victor/Victoria - is airing in the early morning hours.

How can anyone not love that movie?

Oh baby, won't you play me

Le Jazz Hot maybe

And don't ever let it end

• 2 weeks later...

So was the version of Darling Lili that aired on TCM tonight Blake Edwards' director's cut that Michael Feinstein mentoned in his comments after the movie?

Darling Lili was a musical in the vein of Cabaret in the sense all the songs were sung as part of a performance rather than sung dialogue. 

The movie was given a rating of TV-PG for D(ialogue), L(anguage) and V(iolence).

The only Language I heard was Julie Andrews saying b a s t a r d  once and a s s twice(?). 

There was some Dialogue where she made a pun about about Rock Husdon being "up."

I enjoyed the World War I songs that were included in the movie.

I'm DVRing Star! to watch later.

So far I'm liking that Julie Andrews is getting to do a Cockney accent since she didn't get the chance to reprise her role of Eliza in the movie version of My Fair Lady

• Like 1

So was the version of Darling Lili that aired on TCM tonight Blake Edwards' director's cut that Michael Feinstein mentoned in his comments after the movie?

Darling Lili was a musical in the vein of Cabaret in the sense all the songs were sung as part of a performance rather than sung dialogue. 

The movie was given a rating of TV-PG for D(ialogue), L(anguage) and V(iolence).

The only Language I heard was Julie Andrews saying b a s t a r d  once and a s s twice(?). 

There was some Dialogue where she made a pun about about Rock Husdon being "up."

I enjoyed the World War I songs that were included in the movie.

I'm DVRing Star! to watch later.

So far I'm liking that Julie Andrews is getting to do a Cockney accent since she didn't get the chance to reprise her role of Eliza in the movie version of My Fair Lady

Yes, I think STAR! is quite underrated. She's looser in this film and having a lot more fun with the character. 

Not sure how I feel about Hudson in LILI-- he's not at home in musicals and he lacks sexual chemistry with Julie. 

BagelsOnDemOnionRolls:  I think the DVD release of 'DARLING LILI' (1970) was the shorter 'Director's Cut'.   According to the 1997 Leonard Maltin Video Guide it says "Two decades after the fact [i'm guessing the early 1990s], Edwards prepared an alternative "director's cut" of the film -- more serious in tone -- for cable TV; it runs 114 minutes".   

I bought the DVD release of "DARLING LILI", though I've not watched it yet.  The run time on the disc insert says 107 minutes if I'm not mistaken.  I figure this more "serious" version is the one released and not the theatrical version. 

Also:  In case you've not seen  S.O.B. (1981)  with Julie Andrews and an all-star cast you might want to check it out.  Not exactly a musical, but the plot is predicated upon what to do about a [G]-rated musical 'flop' to make it a success. 

Yes, I think STAR! is quite underrated. She's looser in this film and having a lot more fun with the character. 

Not sure how I feel about Hudson in LILI-- he's not at home in musicals and he lacks sexual chemistry with Julie. 

I agree that there was not much spark between Rock Hudson and Julie Andrews in Darling Lili --- a far cry from the great chemistry between Julie Andrews and James Garner in Victor/Victoria even when she was Victor.

The highlight of Darling Lili of course was Julie Andrews' beautiful renditions of "Whistling Away the Dark" and "The Girl in No Man's Land." Julie Andrews' voice and Henry Mancini's melodies. Wow! 

• Like 1

And my most favorite Juie Andrews musical - Victor/Victoria - is airing in the early morning hours.

How can anyone not love that movie?

Oh baby, won't you play me

Le Jazz Hot maybe

And don't ever let it end

I hesitate saying this....   I don't love that movie.  I know it's beloved, and when I saw it people were laughing as if it was, well, really funny.  I think the humor was over my head, or hiding somewhere.   I did find  First a Girl (193?) delightful, and Jessie Matthews a revelation.  

If I can stay awake I'll give it another try tonight, as I've avoided it for over 30 years.  Maybe it will be less traumatic this time 'round!    

Victor/Victoria is one of my favorite movies period. But, then I like many films set in the interwar period. I'll just have to stay up and watch it for the umteenth time.

I wish I had been home to see all four films but, my schedule never seems to match up with TCM's :(

I love Julie Andrews. She's a national treasure in two countries. However, I watched Star! last night and thought it was maybe not bad but not that good either. While Julie looked great and had a wardrobe to die for, the script seemed schizophrenic. It seemed like all the money spent on production, at least some of it should have gone for a tighter script. The story was all over the place and seemed like was just an excuse to go from one song to another. Plus, Gertrude Lawrence seemed really unlikeable. I never really "got" why she seemed angry all the time.

I just read Lawrence's entry on Wikipedia and she had an interesting life. This film based on her life should have been much, much better, but the script let the movie down, IMHO.

• Like 1

I agree that there was not much spark between Rock Hudson and Julie Andrews in Darling Lili --- a far cry from the great chemistry between Julie Andrews and James Garner in Victor/Victoria even when she was Victor.

The highlight of Darling Lili of course was Julie Andrews' beautiful renditions of "Whistling Away the Dark" and "The Girl in No Man's Land." Julie Andrews' voice and Henry Mancini's melodies. Wow! 

To be fair, Andrews and Garner had worked together previously in THE AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY, so making V/V was a reunion of sorts for them. As you say, they have terrific chemistry (Garner had chemistry in spades with Audrey Hepburn, Suzanne Pleshette, Doris Day, Sally Field, Julie Andrews, Eva Marie Saint, you name it, just about every female costar he worked with, plus some of the males ones too).

The problem I have with Rock Hudson in DARLING LILI is he seems too stiff. His more wooden performances work in other genres but not in a musical where the male lead needs to come across more energetically, and considerably warmer. It's ironic that he has more chemistry with the older matronly Jane Wyman in those two Douglas Sirk melodramas he did in the 50s, than he exhibits here with Julie whose sexiness is all over this film. 

I agree about Julie and Mancini's music. It makes DARLING LILI worth watching, for that collaboration alone, regardless of how Hudson impedes the love story angle.

The only Julie Andrews movie that I ever saw at the show was Victor Victoria. And I loved it, smart, sexy, sophisticated, very funny, even hilarious, at times.

Sometimes, though, you're influenced by the reaction of the audience around you. There have been a few films I saw at the show that I loved, afterward having a downward reappraisal of them when I later saw them again in quieter confines on my television.

But not Victor Victoria. This film still captures me and even energizes me, to a degree. And amidst all the impressive visuals and wonderful music and performances (Lesley Ann Warren deserves special mention I feel), the film even manages a humane message of tolerance and understanding without banging you over the head with it. The only small quibble I may have with the film is that it goes on a little too long at 133 minutes.

Long live the memories of Blake Edwards, Julie Andrews, James Garner, the marvelous Robert Preston and, of course, Lesley Ann Warren for this magical masterpiece of sophisticated humour and music.

74735bdf-0af6-4189-bd73-596ad9571229_zps

• Like 2

I rewatched STAR! today. I think last night was my favorite evening on TCM so far in 2015. It beat anything broadcast during the much-ballyhooed and overrated 31 Days of Oscar.

screen-shot-2015-03-21-at-6-45-48-pm.png

Good films with classic stars that do not air too often. That's all I ask for. Well, that and Julie Andrews as Star of the Month someday.

I take it Julie Andrews has never been a 'Star Of The Month', TB.  How many movies would one need to star in to be SOTM?  If you need 4 or 5 movies each Friday night of the month selected that doesn't leave much wiggle room for negotiation if TCM doesn't have the rights to air a fair number of  hers.  She just hasn't starred in that many movies.  There's 44 credits listed on the IMDb and that includes television series work along with made-for-Tv movies + voice work in animated features and some post-2000 features (like "The Princess Diaries") that TCM may not even want to air as they're fairly new.  Ergo, that doesn't leave a lot of "live action" theatrical movies to pick from if you need about 18-20 films to be an SOTB. 

I'm thinking TCM ought to consider airing the 1999 Christmas-themed Tv movie with James Garner and Julie Andrews if she does get a 'Star Of The Month' selection.  I remember seeing it when it first aired. 

After starring in 'DARLING, LILI' in 1970, I think she only starred in 1 movie until 1979's "10":

"The Tamarind Seed" with Omar Sharif in 1974.      

I watched the ending of Darling Lili but quite frankly didn't get it.  Did Rock Hudson lead an aerial attack on Julie Andrews' train.  How did he ever know she was there or that she was in danger on it?  Did he somehow get killed but come back in time for the ending?  And why did Andrews' German superiors turn on her, other than to solve the problem of asking for sympathy for a German spy.  And if people knew she was a spy, why did they all attend her postwar concert?

I take it Julie Andrews has never been a 'Star Of The Month', TB.  How many movies would one need to star in to be SOTM?  If you need 4 or 5 movies each Friday night of the month selected that doesn't leave much wiggle room for negotiation if TCM doesn't have the rights to air a fair number of  hers.  She just hasn't starred in that many movies.  There's 44 credits listed on the IMDb and that includes television series work along with made-for-Tv movies + voice work in animated features and some post-2000 features (like "The Princess Diaries") that TCM may not even want to air as they're fairly new.  Ergo, that doesn't leave a lot of "live action" theatrical movies to pick from if you need about 18-20 films to be an SOTB. 

I'm thinking TCM ought to consider airing the 1999 Christmas-themed Tv movie with James Garner and Julie Andrews if she does get a 'Star Of The Month' selection.  I remember seeing it when it first aired. 

After starring in 'DARLING, LILI' in 1970, I think she only starred in 1 movie until 1979's "10":

"The Tamarind Seed" with Omar Sharif in 1974.      

A few Star of the Month honorees had lean filmographies-- Grace Kelly and Vivien Leigh in particular. They can get by with showing three features an evening, which only requires 12 films for the entire month. In Andrews' case, some of her films are quite lengthy, and I am sure if they aired THE SOUND OF MUSIC one evening, perhaps that and only one other shorter film would suffice. 

She's such a household name and so marketable to classic film audiences that I see her as a perfect fit for TCM to honor as a Star of the Month. It's bound to happen at some point. 

Also, if some of her TV movies (like the one with Garner) are in the Turner Library, it is possible they could be shown. Last year TCM aired a made-for-cable TV movie (Cold Sassy Tree) honoring Faye Dunaway. And back when Grace Kelly was Star of the Month, they aired two TV anthology shows she did in the early 1950s.

The only Julie Andrews movie that I ever saw at the show was Victor Victoria. And I loved it, smart, sexy, sophisticated, very funny, even hilarious, at times.

Sometimes, though, you're influenced by the reaction of the audience around you. There have been a few films I saw at the show that I loved, afterward having a downward reappraisal of them when I later saw them again in quieter confines on my television.

But not Victor Victoria. This film still captures me and even energizes me, to a degree. And amidst all the impressive visuals and wonderful music and performances (Lesley Ann Warren deserves special mention I feel), the film even manages a humane message of tolerance and understanding without banging you over the head with it. The only small quibble I may have with the film is that it goes on a little too long at 133 minutes.

Long live the memories of Blake Edwards, Julie Andrews, James Garner, the marvelous Robert Preston and, of course, Lesley Ann Warren for this magical masterpiece of sophisticated humour and music.

I watched Victor/Victoria back during the James Garner tribute in July.  I loved it.  Julie Andrews was fantastic.  I do agree that it runs a smidge too long. 

I'm disappointed that I missed out on all the Julie Andrews films that aired a couple days ago.  I've been so busy moving that it completely slipped my mind to record anything.  I did manage to record Attack of the Puppet People for whatever reason, lol.  Hopefully I can catch her films on Watch TCM or via Netflix. 

For the longest time, I was only familiar with Julie Andrews as Mary Poppins.  That was the only film of hers I'd ever seen.  I'm happy that TCM has been putting her films into rotation more often.  I also saw The Americanization of Emily also during the James Garner tribute and found it an interesting film.  I think I'll need to watch it again though, as I unfortunately tried watching it in an environment full of distractions. 

I've been wanting to see Thoroughly Modern Millie (I'm also a fan of Mary Tyler Moore), Star! and SOB

I'll have to keep my eye out for them.  I'll probably even look out for Darling Lili even if it seems to be getting mixed reviews here.

BagelsOnDemOnionRolls:  I think the DVD release of 'DARLING LILI' (1970) was the shorter 'Director's Cut'.   According to the 1997 Leonard Maltin Video Guide it says "Two decades after the fact [i'm guessing the early 1990s], Edwards prepared an alternative "director's cut" of the film -- more serious in tone -- for cable TV; it runs 114 minutes".   

I bought the DVD release of "DARLING LILI", though I've not watched it yet.  The run time on the disc insert says 107 minutes if I'm not mistaken.  I figure this more "serious" version is the one released and not the theatrical version. 

Also:  In case you've not seen  S.O.B. (1981)  with Julie Andrews and an all-star cast you might want to check it out.  Not exactly a musical, but the plot is predicated upon what to do about a [G]-rated musical 'flop' to make it a success. 

Thanks, Mr. Gorman,  for the information on the different cuts of Darling Lili and for recommending S.O.B. I'm very interested in seeing it now.

I checked Netflx and it's not there ---- at least not on the streaming plan, which is the only one I have.

I doubt Redbox will have it so I'm going to try to get from the local library system.    

I hesitate saying this....   I don't love that movie.  I know it's beloved, and when I saw it people were laughing as if it was, well, really funny.  I think the humor was over my head, or hiding somewhere.   I did find  First a Girl (193?) delightful, and Jessie Matthews a revelation.  

If I can stay awake I'll give it another try tonight, as I've avoided it for over 30 years.  Maybe it will be less traumatic this time 'round!    

Awwww, TheGayDivorcee, it's okay if you don't like Victor/Victoria.

I love it so much that it's hard to imagine that everyone doesn't feel the same way------but I know we all have different likes.

Maybe you'll have a change of heart if you ever do see it again. :)

I think you will ------- but I am incredibly biased.

• Like 1

I love Julie Andrews. She's a national treasure in two countries. However, I watched Star! last night and thought it was maybe not bad but not that good either. While Julie looked great and had a wardrobe to die for, the script seemed schizophrenic. It seemed like all the money spent on production, at least some of it should have gone for a tighter script. The story was all over the place and seemed like was just an excuse to go from one song to another. Plus, Gertrude Lawrence seemed really unlikeable. I never really "got" why she seemed angry all the time.

I just read Lawrence's entry on Wikipedia and she had an interesting life. This film based on her life should have been much, much better, but the script let the movie down, IMHO.

I have to agree. Friday was the first time I sat through the movie all the way through and I was bored after the first half hour or so (the best part, aside from the Jenny number at the end). Can see why the film was a huge flop. Just isnt much of a story there between the endless musical numbers, (which had nothing to do with the story) Seemed like they wanted to create a musical number from every show Lawrence was in, which does not make for an interesting story since they arent part of the story. Including a scene from Private Lives. (couldnt stand Daniel Massey either). And for some reason they decided not to include The King and I and her death. Most people in the U.S. outside of New York probably didnt know who Gertrude Lawrence was, but that could've been circumvented with an interesting story of her life. It just wasnt in the film.......

• Like 1

I actually thought Massey was one of the good parts of the film.

Oh, the ending was horrible. Miss Andrews had no chemistry with Richard Crenna. And supposedly that husband was a consultant on the film.

I could not believe that Robert Wise directed this mess.

Julie Andrews is a great actress. Why oh why couldn't this have been a better film?

Oh, the ending was horrible. Miss Andrews had no chemistry with Richard Crenna. And supposedly that husband was a consultant on the film.

Julie Andrews is a great actress. Why oh why couldn't this have been a better film?

Maybe it was the lines he was given to say. Just really got on my nerves after awhile. I know Noel was witty, but I cant believe every single line he said was. Got tired of his quips after awhile.......of course since Noel was still alive, they couldnt go into his private life.........

No wonder he came off so well! (LOL) didnt know that........(her hubby)

Awwww, TheGayDivorcee, it's okay if you don't like Victor/Victoria.

I love it so much that it's hard to imagine that everyone doesn't feel the same way------but I know we all have different likes.

Maybe you'll have a change of heart if you ever do see it again. :)

I think you will ------- but I am incredibly biased.

Thanks, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls, (or may I call you BOAPOOR?!).  I did watch it the night it aired, and I'm afraid it faired no better with me this time.  I like Julie Andrews, and thought she was the best part of the movie. It was the script that just did not sit well with me.  I hadn't realized it was so well loved, so looked online to see if anyone shared my view.  I found one review, but it was so scathing I thought it best not to post the link.

Maybe I'll give it a try in another year or so.  :)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings