Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1943 BATMAN Returns on Saturday 3/7

Ray Faiola

Columbia's wartime serial BATMAN returns to TCM on Saturday morning. Typical Columbia chapterplay but J. Carroll Naish and his Brooklynese Nippon villain make this one lots of fun.  PC'ers beware of Knox Manning's "yellow peril" narration.

• Like 1

Columbia's wartime serial BATMAN returns to TCM on Saturday morning. Typical Columbia chapterplay but J. Carroll Naish and his Brooklynese Nippon villain make this one lots of fun.  PC'ers beware of Knox Manning's "yellow peril" narration.

Thanks for the reminder.  I wonder how long this'll be running, given that it's booked every Saturday through the end of May, with no indication that it won't be showing after that.  So far there are 13 episodes scheduled, but how many were made in all?

They missed a golden opportunity, Conrad Veidt would had made the PERFECT Joker.

"The Man Who Laughs"

600full-the-man-who-laughs-screenshot.jp

]

Veidt would have made a perfect Joker, but he died sometime around 1943. he was also a-list (supporting a list, but a-list) and a-listers did not appear in serials. ( J. Carroll Naish was not yet an Oscar nominee on appearing in this.)

I also want to say that the character of the Joker had been introduced in the comics by 1943, but had gotten nowhere near as popular as he would later become.

Morlock blog on series: http://moviemorlocks.com/2015/03/05/superhero-saturdays-on-tcm-batman-1943/#more-82204

-thanks, Ray, for heads-up :)

• Like 1

I saw this one around 1970 at the Janus theatre in Washington DC. It was a long day for a twelve year old to sit through a movie as they showed chapter after chapter. I couldn't get over how long BATMAN's ears were.

There was also a 1949 serial which I have not seen.

• Like 1

What the heck happened HERE??  There was some "Pretty Pictures" distribution logo, followed by a lousy 16mm transfer of Chapter One. Sony has a gorgeous 35mm transfer.  Did this serial go P.D. without anybody looking?????

HOLY DUPE, BATMAN!!!

• Like 1

What the heck happened HERE??  There was some "Pretty Pictures" distribution logo, followed by a lousy 16mm transfer of Chapter One. Sony has a gorgeous 35mm transfer.  Did this serial go P.D. without anybody looking?????

HOLY DUPE, BATMAN!!!

maybe it's just more economical for tcm to show an inferior quality print. :)

just remember, RayFiola, your sacrifice is enabling tcm to continue it's uncensored commercial-free policy.

be glad.

:lol:

HOLY DUPE, BATMAN!!!

That print was intended to be watched on this set.

0g07jokno3doyz.jpg

Yeah, it was a bad print. Maybe they can fix it and show a better one next week.

Still nice to see them doing something different, and not censoring out the offensive bits (among which was praise for Japanese internment camps!) because i feel like you can learn from such things.

Yeah, it was a bad print. Maybe they can fix it and show a better one next week.

Still nice to see them doing something different, and not censoring out the offensive bits (among which was praise for Japanese internment camps!) because i feel like you can learn from such things.

and maybe they won't...

pennies count.

:)