Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I salute TCM for showing the Bucket of Blood, Equinox, Wild Guitar this week. Cult classics (and cult non-classics, if there is a such a thing) are important for film audiences to observe.

• Like 1

I'll welcome you too, Theoted.  But I have to say I disagree.

Cult films aren't important for film audiences to observe, but they at least deserve being viewed  before being dismissed.  I've known some in the past( and still) who dismissed some movies as, "A waste of time" without ever seeing them because they for some reason, don't like who's in it or some dumb sh!t like that.

Sepiatone

There are no cult movies anymore.  At one time, before the internet, and the video age, there used to be obscure movies admired by a small coterie of enthusiastic admirers.  These included movies like Little Shop or Horrors, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Eraserhead, and movies by Russ Meyers.  The phenomenon grew, began to be noticed in the media, and led to the popularization of the practice and the movies.  Ultimately, the term cult gained so much cachet that it began to be applied by marketers to any movie that had a large enthusiastic following.  I've seen Star Wars referred to as a cult movie.  So now cult means the opposite of what it used to.  Instead of an obscure movie admired by a devoted following, a cult film now is a wildly popular success.

It is now impossible for there to be cult movies anymore.  The easy availability of video these days, and it's ready transmission to a large audience, have destroyed the conditions necessary for them to exist.

• Like 2

“Cult film” simplified term for “box office bomb” generally possessing an appeal towards a tasteless minority subculture’s hunger for sexuality, violence, profanity and/or gore.  :blink:

What’s not to like about losers of the masses?  :rolleyes:

Give me a big ugly ink body splotch and call it tattoo "art".  :huh:

In the past, whenever I read or heard "cult film", my first thoughts were;

A movie the critics loved, but the public was not receptive of, except for a few social misfits with some degree of influence, and THEY felt it was OK.

or.......

A movie the critics hated  but enough drunks and "stoners" thought was "cool" and STILL are willing to pay money to see, or buy a DVD of......

or............

A movie that makes NO sense whatsoever...not even to the people who LOVE it so much but are willing to go see it over and over for reasons even THEY can't articulate!

OR simply a movie that many feel has limited appeal to a limited social group.  Like BILLY JACK had with hippies, and still finds old hipsters who still like it for nostalgic reasons and watch it and laugh at it's camp! 

Sepiatone

• Like 3

Is anyone here familiar with the books Cult Movies, volumes 1 and 2, first published in 1981?

Written and annotated by Danny Peary, they're a fascinating and fun collection of articles - half personal write-up, half critique, half film history (ok, 3 halves doesn't make sense...unless you're living in some bizarro cult world....)

I really recommend them to anyone even remotely interested in "cult" movies.

Wonder if they're still in print?

anyone catch this airing today?

woulda been nice Underground pick ;)

article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/26946/Sorcerers-The/articles.html

I followed it loosely. Did you notice that Tony Curtis (yes, that Tony Curtis) is the Art Director on this film?

I would also like to see Karloff in Targets (1968). We don't get much of him,

but it's an interesting film nonetheless.

• Like 1

I would also like to see Karloff in Targets (1968). We don't get much of him, but it's an interesting film nonetheless.

Sepia, I love how you explain "cult" now being "mainstream"....you articulated it much better than I.

I love TARGETS in very much the same way I enjoy PSYCHO. Although Karloff isn't onscreen a lot, he's wonderful. It's great seeing him as a person instead of a charactor role. Love Corman's restriction to use "film within a film" and how Bogdanovitch chose to use it.

I showed it to the kid when she was only 13 or 14 and she enjoyed it and still remembers it. She saw a parallel with WHITE HEAT in the use of the un-hero's demise on a big tank tower.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings