Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's the name of that movie?

RMG314

I'm starting this for people who can't find/remember the name of a film they've seen and want to identify the film.  Hopefully by posting descriptions here about plot, key scenes, actors' names, locations, etc., one of our readers can help identify the film.

I'll go first.  I'm trying to find the name of a b/w film from the 1940s, possibly 30s that includes a stunning fight scene between two men in a steel mill.  One man is operating a gigantic machine with tongs in front that pulls glowing steel bars of a furnace. The other man is up above in a gigantic crane.  The two men begin to fight with their machines.  They guy on the tong machine tries to pull down the crane and the guy in the crane uses a giant hook to try to tip over the tong machine.  That's all the information I have as I only saw the part of the movie described above.  Is anyone familiar with this film?

I'm starting this for people who can't find/remember the name of a film they've seen and want to identify the film.  Hopefully by posting descriptions here about plot, key scenes, actors' names, locations, etc., one of our readers can help identify the film.

I'll go first.  I'm trying to find the name of a b/w film from the 1940s, possibly 30s that includes a stunning fight scene between two men in a steel mill.  One man is operating a gigantic machine with tongs in front that pulls glowing steel bars of a furnace. The other man is up above in a gigantic crane.  The two men begin to fight with their machines.  They guy on the tong machine tries to pull down the crane and the guy in the crane uses a giant hook to try to tip over the tong machine.  That's all the information I have as I only saw the part of the movie described above.  Is anyone familiar with this film?

I hope somebody knows the answer to this. I'd love to see the film!

• Like 1

I am indeed familiar with THX 1138, Slaytonf, and feel free to address me as RM.  Pray tell, where exactly is this other forum of which you speak?  As for not having a clue, it's quite remarkable for any clueless person to admit being so.  My compliments.   

I am indeed familiar with THX 1138, Slaytonf, and feel free to address me as RM.  Pray tell, where exactly is this other forum of which you speak?  As for not having a clue, it's quite remarkable for any clueless person to admit being so.  My compliments.   

The forum is Information, Please!, to which this thread has been transferred.  You may have noticed a black arrow by your thread title in the General Discussions forum, indicating the TCM Monitors From Above have translated it from there to here.  I have no problem admitting I don't know what I'm talking about.  

Thanks for starting this topic.

I'm trying to find the title to an old movie (it's driving me crazy!) that I'm pretty sure is black and white.

It's about a singer (man) and a songwriter (woman) duo who used to be romantic, but have broken up. She stops by his place for some reason, and he's been trying to write a song on his own. He sort of ropes her into helping him come up with lyrics, finding excuses for her to stay.

I remember she ends up out of her coat and hat and finally is writing the song with him as he plays piano. Part of the lyrics she comes up with are "like a babe in the woods" or close to that. They end up singing the song together for people at some point.

He's a sort of lanky guy and I think she's blonde.

Any ideas? Thank you! 

Thanks for starting this topic.

I'm trying to find the title to an old movie (it's driving me crazy!) that I'm pretty sure is black and white.

It's about a singer (man) and a songwriter (woman) duo who used to be romantic, but have broken up. She stops by his place for some reason, and he's been trying to write a song on his own. He sort of ropes her into helping him come up with lyrics, finding excuses for her to stay.

I remember she ends up out of her coat and hat and finally is writing the song with him as he plays piano. Part of the lyrics she comes up with are "like a babe in the woods" or close to that. They end up singing the song together for people at some point.

He's a sort of lanky guy and I think she's blonde.

Any ideas? Thank you! 

Sounds like LADY BE GOOD (1941) stars Ann Sothern and Robert Young. TCM will be showing the film March 18. You can check the TCM database and read the synopsis. Hope that helps (btw, like a babe in the woods are lyrics from the song Lady Be Good) :)

• Like 1

lavenderblue19,

YES!!!!

That's the movie!

I'd recorded about half of it before losing the rest in a Directv glitch.

Interestingly enough, the movie came to mind a few nights ago, while I was watching Smartest Girl in Town.

Now I know why my subconscious was tripped -- both movies star Ann Sothern. And yes to "babe in the woods" being from the song Lady Be Good. Actually, it's quite a catchy song, even in 2015. 

So excited to watch the WHOLE of Lady Be Good on March 18th. Huge thanks! : )!

Your name is from an old song too, isn't it?

Lavender blue, dilly dilly, lavender green

You be my King, dilly dilly, I'll be your Queen.

: )

Sounds like LADY BE GOOD (1941) stars Ann Sothern and Robert Young. TCM will be showing the film March 18. You can check the TCM database and read the synopsis. Hope that helps (btw, like a babe in the woods are lyrics from the song Lady Be Good) :)

Hello! 

I've spent several years trying to figure out the name of a movie I once saw on TCM and have had zero luck, so I thought I would take a shot here and see if someone out there can help?!

I have to apologize as it's been a while since I saw the film and my memory of it is limited, though for some reason it really stuck with me all this time.

Here's what I remember:

It's black and white, it stars a scruffy, disheveled, but handsome man on the run (from what or why I can't seem to recall.) There is a young boy, I don't remember if they are on the run together or if they met along the way. And the man eventually escapes on a small boat.  

Again, I apologize that I have so little to go on, I'm just hoping that someone will see the little description I've been able to remember and have a clue what I'm talking about. Any help at all to lead me to this film would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hello! 

I've spent several years trying to figure out the name of a movie I once saw on TCM and have had zero luck, so I thought I would take a shot here and see if someone out there can help?!

I have to apologize as it's been a while since I saw the film and my memory of it is limited, though for some reason it really stuck with me all this time.

Here's what I remember:

It's black and white, it stars a scruffy, disheveled, but handsome man on the run (from what or why I can't seem to recall.) There is a young boy, I don't remember if they are on the run together or if they met along the way. And the man eventually escapes on a small boat.  

Again, I apologize that I have so little to go on, I'm just hoping that someone will see the little description I've been able to remember and have a clue what I'm talking about. Any help at all to lead me to this film would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Could it be "Great Expectations"?

There is a British film with Dirk Bogarde that has this plot, although I don't think it has ever played on TCM. The movie is called HUNTED (1952) and Dirk is on the run from the law, and meets up with a runaway boy whom he takes along on his escape. They form a bond during their travel. The end has Dirk steal a boat from a fishing village and he and the boy set out to sea - but he has a change of heart and returns the boy to the village and surrenders to the law. It's a great movie, and may or may not be the one you are thinking of - it can be found on Youtube.

There is a British film with Dirk Bogarde that has this plot, although I don't think it has ever played on TCM. The movie is called HUNTED (1952)

That's it! Thank you so much, I'm beyond impressed you figured it out with so little to go on, you've really made my day! 

Try Great Expectations

Could it be "Great Expectations"?

Thanks for the suggestions! Though it wasn't the one I was looking for, it's a great film as well.

Hi all!  I'm trying to figure out what film this scene came from:

It's a pre-code (I think), and I remember it having a poor quality audio track when it played on TCM last year (lots of pops and hisses).  Two girls live in an apartment, i think in New York. One of the girls is pestered by a guy to go for a ride in his new car.  When she leaves,(the door is screen left) the other girl turns on the radio or gramophone (also to the left), goes to the bathroom or bedroom (screen right) and attempts suicide. The roommate returns home with a man and finds her.  

Sadly, I don't recall if she died or was saved, or any of the rest of the film!  Any guesses?

I appreciate the help!

Hi all!  I'm trying to figure out what film this scene came from:

It's a pre-code (I think), and I remember it having a poor quality audio track when it played on TCM last year (lots of pops and hisses).  Two girls live in an apartment, i think in New York. One of the girls is pestered by a guy to go for a ride in his new car.  When she leaves,(the door is screen left) the other girl turns on the radio or gramophone (also to the left), goes to the bathroom or bedroom (screen right) and attempts suicide. The roommate returns home with a man and finds her.  

Sadly, I don't recall if she died or was saved, or any of the rest of the film!  Any guesses?

I appreciate the help!

Try Three Wise Girls, With Jean Harlow, Mae Clarke, and Marie Prevost:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/93186/Three-Wise-Girls/

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings