Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Harrison Ford injured in plane crash... CNN

Breaking news......

He was flying an old WW II airplane and crashed near the Santa Monica Airport.

Some injuries but he was alert and talking to emergency people. He is about 70 years old.

rtr4s91g.jpg?itok=oFz4AVzl

Edited by FredCDobbs

I believe Harrison Ford is 72.  Without actually going to the IMDb or Wikipedia and looking it up I think he was born in July 1942.

There's been too darn many entertainment personalities to have died in plane crashes.  I'm glad Harrison is ok. 

Let's see if this link to a Google Satellite View works. It shows the airport (at the top), the golf course (the green grass area) where he landed, and the houses all around.

He seems to have done a very good job of crash landing on the small golf course.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0076421,-118.4570424,941m/data=!3m1!1e3

There's been too darn many entertainment personalities to have died in plane crashes.  I'm glad Harrison is ok. 

Yes, I agree there have been too many.

On another note, we do have to keep in mind this is not Turner Classic Entertainment. It's Turner Classic Movies, so we are looking at Harrison Ford's brush with death through the lens of classic film stars who died in plane crashes.

You could include Leslie Howard

Yes. Thanks for mentioning him.

I think the Robert Francis situation though is most like Harrison Ford's. It was a small plane flying in southern California, and Francis was piloting it when it crashed. The circumstances (unlike Lombard & Howard) were not war-related; nor was bad weather involved. I think it was just pilot error.

Actor Harrison Ford's plane crash, which solely involved himself, was the lead story on the Today Show this morning, THEN followed afterward of course by the Delta Airlines airliner carrying 132 (non-celebrity) souls that crashed during landing at New York's LaGuardia Airport yesterday, also.

(....and which reminded me of one of the early years SNL Weekend Update lines that then W.U. anchor Jane Curtain once "announced" during that segment: "When we return from the following commercials with more news, our roving reported Mike Johnson takes us to the Brooklyn Zoo to see the new baby hippo, and then, 50,000 people perish in a Pakistani earthquake.")  LOL

• Like 1

Yes, I agree there have been too many.

On another note, we do have to keep in mind this is not Turner Classic Entertainment. It's Turner Classic Movies, so we are looking at Harrison Ford's brush with death through the lens of classic film stars who died in plane crashes.

Though not an actor, Mike Todd should also be mentioned.

• Like 1

Someone mentioned singer/songwriter/actor JOHN DENVER (1943-1997) below . . . with that in mind howzabout a mention of another singer/songwriter/actor RICK NELSON (1940-1985), who died in a plane crash on Dec. 31, 1985 at age 45.

Singer JIM REEVES (1924-1964) filmed a movie in South Africa in 1963 called 'KIMBERLEY JIM' in the year before he died in a plane crash.  

Remember WWII hero and later actor AUDIE MURPHY perished in a 1971 plane crash. 

(1970s "B" movie director WILLIAM GIRDLER ("The Manitou") died in a helicopter crash in January 1978 in the Philippines while scouting locations for his next movie.  I believe he was only 30 years old). 

I hope he is okay.  He's 72 years old and flying a 70+ year old vintage plane.  Ridiculous.   I'm happy he didn't crash into a home or onto people.   I'm sick of the people who are usually millionaires, flying around in these small planes.  They either don't know what they're doing or there is some kind of mechanical issue that causes them to crash.   Just recently, some millionaire was flying his small plane and crashed into a home of a mother who was on maternity leave with a newborn and young child and the small plane crashes right into her home - she's minding her own business.   And it bugs me when these small plane owners take their young children up with them and then crash.   I'm all for a ban on these small planes.  If anyone wants to fly - take a regular, full-sized jet, flown by pilots who hopefully know what they are doing.  At the very least, these small planes should only be allowed to fly over areas that are not populated, residential areas.

Someone mentioned singer/songwriter/actor JOHN DENVER (1943-1997) below . . . with that in mind howzabout a mention of another singer/songwriter/actor RICK NELSON (1940-1985), who died in a plane crash on Dec. 31, 1985 at age 45.

Singer JIM REEVES (1924-1964) filmed a movie in South Africa in 1963 called 'KIMBERLEY JIM' in the year before he died in a plane crash.  

Remember WWII hero and later actor AUDIE MURPHY perished in a 1971 plane crash. 

(1970s "B" movie director WILLIAM GIRDLER ("The Manitou") died in a helicopter crash in January 1978 in the Philippines while scouting locations for his next movie.  I believe he was only 30 years old). 

Many singers have died in plane crashes. Jim Croce. Otis Redding. Buddy Holly. Ritchie Valens. Big Bopper.

I hope he is okay.  He's 72 years old and flying a 70+ year old vintage plane.  Ridiculous.   I'm happy he didn't crash into a home or onto people.   I'm sick of the people who are usually millionaires, flying around in these small planes.  They either don't know what they're doing or there is some kind of mechanical issue that causes them to crash.   Just recently, some millionaire was flying his small plane and crashed into a home of a mother who was on maternity leave with a newborn and young child and the small plane crashes right into her home - she's minding her own business.   And it bugs me when these small plane owners take their young children up with them and then crash.   I'm all for a ban on these small planes.  If anyone wants to fly - take a regular, full-sized jet, flown by pilots who hopefully know what they are doing.  At the very least, these small planes should only be allowed to fly over areas that are not populated, residential areas.

yeah! why should we all be at the mercy of these rich flying celebs and their hedonistic recreating bents? :angry: