Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movies we'll never see!

Sepiatone

No, NOT because TCM won't, or can't get 'em.but because they haven't been made!  Either because the casting is outlandish, or the premise is outrageous or whatever reason, they're movies we might LIKE to see, but will never get the chance because the opportunity is long gone....and nobody would have made them anyway...

For instance----

Disraeli:  yeah, already a fine motion picture starring the incomparable George Arliss, who well displays a Disraeli with the well known fine mind, sharp wit and deep insight.   But......

How about a DISRAELI starring a "free to ad lib" GROUCHO MARX?

ABRAHAM LINCOLN:  sure, cast in the past with a home-spun Henry Fonda, and also a craggy looking RAYMOND MASSEY, and recently a hugely talented wide-ranged Daniel Day-Lewis.  But what about a Lincoln to appeal to the 'regular guy"?  played to heart-warming  charm by SYLVESTER STALLONE? ( YO!  MARY!)  we could call it---

ABRAHAM LINCOLN; HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP!

What would have been so bad about HUNTZ HALL as RICK in Casablanca ? 

Or----LEO GORCEY as RHETT BUTLER?  Or even ISH KABIBBLE??

What movie would YOU like to see?

Sepiatone

Taking the idea a bit more seriously than you seem to...

Robert  Mitchum as Philip Marlowe in the '40s, when he was the right age

The Marx Brothers in the Gershwins' Of Thee I Sing (this was actually discussed at one point)

Peter Sellers not having a heart attack and completing Kiss Me Stupid. The film is near-classic as is -- Sellers instead of the inadequate Ray Walston would have made it great.

And since we're in an alternative universe, the young David Niven as Flashman. Richard Lester came close to filming the first book with John Alderton in 1970, but I think the young Niven would have been perfect

a young Charlton Heston as Captain James T. Kirk! :)

Sorry ND, but seein' as how Chuck's cold dead hands are NOW six feet under and thus will never have the chance to tackle that Shatner part, I suppose you'll just have to be satisfied with watchin' your boy Big Duke and HIS take on the Genghis Khan Story when TCM gets around to showin' it occasionally!!! ;)

LOL

Sorry ND, but seein' as how Chuck's cold dead hands are NOW six feet under and thus will never have the chance to tackle that Shatner part, I suppose you'll just have to be satisfied with watchin' your boy Big Duke and HIS take on the Genghis Khan Story when TCM gets around to showin' it occasionally!!! ;)

LOL

guess so. :D

A bit O/T but I'd like to know if there are any definitive resources which keep a running tab on lost movies.  (older films that were not preserved and are believed to be lost)

I too am interested in this.  I once saw a book that I now kick myself for not purchasing called "The Lost Films" or something like that.   Years later when trying to track it down I thought it might have been by Kevin Brownlow, but it wasn't.  Brownlow's The Parade's Gone By is a great book on the silents by the way. 

I have an idea for a 1945 The ABC Murders with Marcel Dalio as Poirot, Cary Grant as Hastings, George Sanders as Franklin Clarke, Peter Lorre as Alexander Bonaparte Cust, and perhaps Montgomery Clift as Donald Fraser.

I've also thought of moving The Wicker Man to the fifties and having Peter Lorre in Edward Woodward's role.

A bit O/T but I'd like to know if there are any definitive resources which keep a running tab on lost movies.  (older films that were not preserved and are believed to be lost)

There's a wiki entry on the subject though I doubt it's comprehensive. Every so often, a lost film (or fragments of one) will turn up. 

The one lost film I would like to see is CONVENTION CITY starring Joan Blondell.

There are other films we'll probably never see, because though they do exist and full prints are available, they are tangled up in legal issues that may never be resolved during our lifetime. 

How about David Suchet as Sherlock Holmes in.. anything.

Here's a wiki List of lost films. The first paragraph also contains a link to a List of incomplete or partially lost films.

Click Here

VICTOR BUONO starring in a 1980s update of 'THE THIN MAN'. 

PAUL LYNDE starring in 'TIGHTROPE' instead of Clint Eastwood. 

SANDY DUNCAN, SAMMY DAVIS JR. and PETER FALK starring in a movie called 'AN EYE TOWARD DANGER'.   

REDD FOXX playing the part of the bartender in 'THE SHOOTIST'.

• Like 1

A CGI movie that obeys the Laws of Physics.

What's the fun in that ? Next you're gonna want every movie gun to shoot exactly six bullets.

One of the first movies ever "A trip to the moon" tells us a cannon can shoot a shell filled with people to the moon.How many laws of physics are broken there ? Movies were made to make fantasy look real.

I know its not classic but, how about Smokey and the Bandit 3 with Gleason as the bandit !  

That was actually filmed and is sitting in a warehouse somewhere. After horrible sneak preview reviews they reshot most of the film with Jerry Reed as the bandit.

Errol Flynn as Bond, James Bond.

Facing off against Humphrey Bogart as Dr. Julius No in Dr. No with Mr. Bogart wearing the same makeup that he wore in The Return of Doctor X?

And against Sydney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre as Auric Goldfinger and Oddjob, respectively, in Goldfinger?

Kid sits on Santa's lap " Do ya feel lucky,Punk ?" :lol:

Ha!  Santa Eastwood points a .44 Magnum in a kid's face, croaking, "Get the hell off my LAP!"  :D

How about, instead of JEFFREY HUNTER and JOHN WAYNE in "The Searchers", we use, instead---

DON KNOTTS and TIM CONWAY?

And, YES KIMBALL and TopBilled, this thread IS "all in fun".  YOU know-----IF you're capable!  ;)

Sepiatone

I have an idea for a 1945 The ABC Murders with Marcel Dalio as Poirot, Cary Grant as Hastings, George Sanders as Franklin Clarke, Peter Lorre as Alexander Bonaparte Cust, and perhaps Montgomery Clift as Donald Fraser.

I've also thought of moving The Wicker Man to the fifties and having Peter Lorre in Edward Woodward's role.

Lorre would get to repeat the line "Rick, hide me!  Do something!  You must help me.  Rick!"

No, NOT because TCM won't, or can't get 'em.but because they haven't been made!  Either because the casting is outlandish, or the premise is outrageous or whatever reason, they're movies we might LIKE to see, but will never get the chance because the opportunity is long gone....and nobody would have made them anyway...

For instance----

Disraeli:  yeah, already a fine motion picture starring the incomparable George Arliss, who well displays a Disraeli with the well known fine mind, sharp wit and deep insight.   But......

How about a DISRAELI starring a "free to ad lib" GROUCHO MARX?

ABRAHAM LINCOLN:  sure, cast in the past with a home-spun Henry Fonda, and also a craggy looking RAYMOND MASSEY, and recently a hugely talented wide-ranged Daniel Day-Lewis.  But what about a Lincoln to appeal to the 'regular guy"?  played to heart-warming  charm by SYLVESTER STALLONE? ( YO!  MARY!)  we could call it---

ABRAHAM LINCOLN; HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP!

What would have been so bad about HUNTZ HALL as RICK in Casablanca ? 

Or----LEO GORCEY as RHETT BUTLER?  Or even ISH KABIBBLE??

What movie would YOU like to see?

Sepiatone

A movie called "The Inconvenient Truth of It, I Was Wrong"   :D 

frozen-gore.jpg