Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Documentarian Albert Maysles has died

Barton_Keyes

Documentarian Albert Maysles who, with his brother David, produced such highly-regarded films as GIMME SHELTER (1970) and GREY GARDENS (1976), has died. He was 88.

Here is the link to the New York Times obituary: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/07/movies/albert-maysles-pioneering-documentarian-dies-at-88.html?_r=0

Interestingly, TCM has already scheduled an evening of Albert Maysles' films on May 26.

I knew he was getting up there, though I didn't keep track of his exact age.

Of the Maysles' films I've seen my favorite is Salesman. A bit depressing,

but more funny than sad for the most part. I love the scene where they

visit the middle age couple in Florida and the husband, in a sleeveless

t, can't wait to play his new Beatles' instrumentals album. Hilarious.

Yeah, I saw that one the last time they had a Maysles night.

I've always wondered what happened to the four salesmen. Too bad

the Maysles didn't go back ten or fifteen years later for an update.

I do remember listening to a short interview with the Rabbit, the young

skinny salesman. If I remember it correctly he stopped selling Bibles,

but he was still selling other things door to door and making a fairly

good living at it. I'm sure they're all retired by now.

I wonder if anyone sells door to door anymore? Aside from cable tv people..........

A number of years ago I had a pair of Witnesses who called on me

several times. They drove up in a Caddy. The older woman was

very well dressed and her partner was a pretty younger woman.

I wasn't interested in their spiel, but they were so polite I just

answered no. They came back two more times, but I suppose they

figured out that it was a waste of their time. I've wondered that if one

member of the team should be a good looking woman was on

purpose of if it was just happenstance.

I once actually invited three J.W.s into my house to discuss their "theories" and with the purpose of seeing if I could convert THEM into being Agnostic about these matter like I am.

And I SWEAR after about 15 minutes and after I hit 'em with some of my arguments in rebuttal to theirs, I had ONE of the younger ones starting nod in head in agreement quite a bit and seemingly being swayed over to my way if thinking!

(...and probably not surprisingly THAT was the very moment their leader began to get a worried expression on his face, stood up and blurted out something about "overstaying their welcome" and motioned for the others to head to the door!!!)  LOL

I once actually invited three J.W.s into my house to discuss their "theories" and with the purpose of seeing if I could convert THEM into being Agnostic about these matter like I am.

And I SWEAR after about 15 minutes and after I hit 'em with some of my arguments in rebuttal to theirs, I had ONE of the younger ones starting nod in head in agreement quite a bit and seemingly being swayed over to my way if thinking!

(...and probably not surprisingly THAT was the very moment their leader began to get a worried expression on his face, stood up and blurted out something about "overstaying their welcome" and motioned for the others to head to the door!!!)  LOL

LMREO. A lot of work for one convert...............

Since this conversation which I have been only watching fitfully seems to have swerved, I thought I would post a semi-relevant factoid. I worked with the actress Christine Ebersole once. She starred -- to great acclaim -- in the musical version of Grey Gardens. Wonderful actress and singer -- but with extremely cockamamie political/social views that I've ever heard from an actor I've worked with. 

I can't quite describe her positions, but here's a rather tame excerpt from a Playbill online piece about one of her performances:

"She also presents her political side, priding herself in being labeled "controversial" by the government. Ebersole goes so far as to launch into an extended attack on the current mayor of New York, unconvincingly so, as she doesn't quite explain her objections. There is also a good deal of talk about her three adopted, multi-racial sons. At the opening night performance, she introduced the eldest — 20-year-old Elijah Moloney — with the spiritual "Elijah Rocks," and then brought him onstage to join her in "Fingers to the Bone." (Ebersole repeatedly refers to him as "my little burrito," which might sound disconcerting to some but clearly not to Ebersole or Elijah)."

Documentarian Albert Maysles who, with his brother David, produced such highly-regarded films as GIMME SHELTER (1970) and GREY GARDENS (1976), has died. He was 88.

Here is the link to the New York Times obituary: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/07/movies/albert-maysles-pioneering-documentarian-dies-at-88.html?_r=0

Interestingly, TCM has already scheduled an evening of Albert Maysles' films on May 26.

I see that GIMME SHELTER, which we recently discussed, will be shown by TCM later this month as part of a 4-film tribute to  Maysles.