Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TODAY'S MESSAGE FROM DTV: All Satellite Signals are subjected to interference...

JeanneCrain

All Satellite Signals are subjected to interference…FROM THE SUN. Those sun outages happen in the Spring and Fall. This outage will have no lasting effect on you DIRECTV System. Your picture will return in a few moments. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Yep, the SUN just ruined "The Captain's Kid" airing this morning.  :o  :o

Oddly, such interference occurred with the TCMHD (Channel 256) broadcast yet other channels were completely unaffected.  :huh:

Just one of the frustrating issues TCM viewers are being subjected to by the DTV provider.  :angry:

• Like 1

That's an interesting one.  I recorded much of what TCM had on today and yesterday, so I am sure if it affected me I will come across it as I scan through it in my editor for consistency before I archive it.

Maybe I have already seen this.  How long does it last?  Is it like a dropout from heavy rain?

Oh well thanks for the heads up!

That's an interesting one.  I recorded much of what TCM had on today and yesterday, so I am sure if it affected me I will come across it as scan through it in my editor for consistency before I archive it.

Maybe I have already seen this.  How long does it last?  Is it like a dropout from heavy rain?

Oh well thanks for the heads up!

You're welcome, outage lasted several minutes (I can't go back at this moment to verify on recording the specifics - I can in a few hours do so upon your request) and occurred during the last 30 minutes of the movie…the movie was replaced with the multi-language message I've previously indicated from DTV.

Don't know who may have been affected by this incident thus, the reason for the post…

FWIW; this incident was experienced in the SW region of US.

Thanks.  So it was just in that one movie so far?  I will scan through the stuff I recorded today when I get home tonight and post back.  A gap of a few minutes would be quick and easy for me to find.  It just sounds like a short-term interruption (really the only kind I have ever had with DirecTV).

I am in NEOH, so conditions may vary.

All Satellite Signals are subjected to interference…FROM THE SUN. Those sun outages happen in the Spring and Fall. This outage will have no lasting effect on you DIRECTV System. Your picture will return in a few moments. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Oddly, such interference occurred with the TCMHD (Channel 256) broadcast yet other channels were completely unaffected.  :huh:

Just one of the frustrating issues TCM viewers are being subjected to by the DTV provider.  :angry:

maybe that's what ruined airport last nite.

It's not odd at all. Different channels are often transmitted on seperate satellites that are in different orbits, so it's not unusual that all aren't affected at the same  time or that some would be more than  others. It's nature, not the DirecTV's fault. For that matter, DISH and the cable companies receive their programming from the same satellites so they'd be subject to outages too. There's nothing anybody can do about it.

On Thursday, Streetcar Named Desire froze, stopped completely, for a good 5 minutes. And right at a very dramatic point, when Karl Malden is holding Vivien Leigh's face up to the light.

It was very annoying, it felt like the movie was never coming back.

So, maybe somebody was walkin' on the sun.

FWIW:

sun outagesun transit or sun fade is an interruption in or distortion of geostationary satellite signals caused by interference from solar radiation. The effect is due to the sun's radiation overwhelming the satellite signal.

In the northern hemisphere, sun outages occur before the March equinox (February, March) and after the September equinox (September and October), and in the southern hemisphere the outages occur after the March equinox and before the September equinox. At these times, the apparent path of the sun across the sky takes it directly behind the line of sight between an earth station and a satellite. The sun radiates strongly across the entire spectrum, including the microwave frequencies used to communicate with satellites (C-bandKu band, and Ka band), so the sun swamps the signal from the satellite. The effects of a sun outage range from partial degradation (increase in the error rate) to total destruction of the signal. The effect sweeps from north to south from approximately 20 February to 20 April, and from south to north from approximately 20 August to 20 October, affecting any specific location for less than 12 minutes a day for a few consecutive days.

In India, the BSE (Bombay Stock Exchange) and NSE (National Stock Exchange) use VSATs (Very Small Aperture Terminal) for members to connect to their trading systems. VSATs depend upon satellites for connectivity between the terminals/systems. Hence these exchanges are affected due to the sun outage. These exchanges normally remain closed from 11:45 to 12:30 during 'sun outages', but times vary depending on the scientific factors. The interference in satellite signals disturbs smooth transmission of data of online transactions, hence these share markets remain closed for the duration of sun outages. Due to these outages, the trading sessions are normally extended in the same day to compensate for the lost time.

Saint Helena suffers from island-wide loss of Internet and telecommunications connections during sun outages because all telecommunications traffic to and from the island is carried on a single satellite link. Sun outage times are published in local newspapers.

As the majority of rural Alaska is served by satellite, population centers like Barrow, AlaskaKotzebue, Alaska, and Nome, Alaska suffer from this as well. Nome is the terminus of the annual Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race, and due to its timing, announcements of the finishers are often delayed during these sun outages.

Ref: Wikipedia

As George Harrison would say, "here comes the sun…"  B) 

I'm still not certain that this was really a solar incident--I checked with spaceweather.com, and the only solar incident yesterday only affected Asia and Indonesia--the US was on the other side of the planet.

I think that, since The Captain's Kid was messed up, either by the Sun or by DirecTV for some reason, TCM shoud place it on their DirecTV VOD channel (1256). After all, they have virtually nothing on there (7 movies, I think), and it specifically says it is for 'Missed it? Watch it Now!'

If DirecTV blocks it, then there is something going on. If not, then I am wrong, and we get to actually see the entire movie.

Douga

I'm still not certain that this was really a solar incident--I checked with spaceweather.com, and the only solar incident yesterday only affected Asia and Indonesia--the US was on the other side of the planet.

I think that, since The Captain's Kid was messed up, either by the Sun or by DirecTV for some reason, TCM shoud place it on their DirecTV VOD channel (1256). After all, they have virtually nothing on there (7 movies, I think), and it specifically says it is for 'Missed it? Watch it Now!'

If DirecTV blocks it, then there is something going on. If not, then I am wrong, and we get to actually see the entire movie.

Douga

I am skeptical as well, as I have had satellite dishes before DTV's existence and had never experienced, until yesterday, delivery under the claim of "sun damaged goods."  :blink:

I'm use to interference, besides most electronic devices has this sticker.

asus_eee_pc_t91_fcc_label-479x300.jpg

You mean this isn't caused by global warming? I'm rather shocked, lol.

Actually MM, it IS!!!

(...and the very reason those poor folks in Boston have been receiving exceptionally good television reception this winter!) ;)

I am skeptical as well, as I have had satellite dishes before DTV's existence and had never experienced, until yesterday, delivery under the claim of "sun damaged goods."  :blink:

Let me get this straight, because you personally have never actually experienced solar outages before, you want us to believe they don't exist?

Let me get this straight, because you personally have never actually experienced solar outages before, you want us to believe they don't exist?

Yeah, and besides, you DO know that..."that lucky old sun, he's got nothin' to do, but roll around heaven all day", doncha?!

(...and ya know what they say what happens when ya got too much free time on your hands, right?!...you get into mischief...uh-huh...kind'a like this post of mine here!)

Actually MM, it IS!!!

(...and the very reason those poor folks in Boston have been receiving exceptionally good television reception this winter!) ;)

You are jumping the gun, wait until they spend a billion dollars to "prove it" first, lol.

FWIW:

Today's "SUN" issue was initiated at ~12:33pm (PT) and lasted ~7 minutes

Hopefully, ICBM missile guidance systems aren't influenced in a similar manner.  :unsure:

Well I finally got around to transferring that batch of files from my DVR PC to an editor PC.  In any case the exact same thing happened to me in Ohio too. (FEMA region V)

Well I finally got around to transferring that batch of files from my DVR PC to an editor PC.  In any case the exact same thing happened to me in Ohio too. (FEMA region V)

Happened upon a preseason baseball game today being air from Florida in which the announcers braced the audience for a potential "sun related" transmission interruption event - indicating that the sun's position behind their satellite may momentarily disrupt the broadcast - BUT it never happened.  :rolleyes:

Your reply unfortunately indicates that the sun incident I observed (emergency region IX  :P ) regarding airing of "The Captain's Kid" was indeed a shared experience.  :(

In another unrelated incident my live entertainment for the evening was "cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances" - the event? A concert featuring Jason Bonham, son of the late Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham - John Bonham's death resulted in my very first concert cancellation - that make's me 0 for 2 on Bonham related Zeppelin musical entertainment.  :wacko:

Happened upon a preseason baseball game today being air from Florida in which the announcers braced the audience for a potential "sun related" transmission interruption event - indicating that the sun's position behind their satellite may momentarily disrupt the broadcast - BUT it never happened.  :rolleyes:

Your reply unfortunately indicates that the sun incident I observed (emergency region IX  :P ) regarding airing of "The Captain's Kid" was indeed a shared experience.  :(

In another unrelated incident my live entertainment for the evening was "cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances" - the event? A concert featuring Jason Bonham, son of the late Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham - John Bonham's death resulted in my very first concert cancellation - that make's me 0 for 2 on Bonham related Zeppelin musical entertainment.  :wacko:

In an unrelated event, the entire movie Aerosmith, starring Ronald Colman, came in without a hitch.  :mellow:

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings