Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ingrid Bergman in JUNINATTEN (1940)

roverrocks

Ingrid Bergman plays Kerstin Norbac/Sara Nordana in this English subtitled Swedish language film from 1940.  Bergman is a naive small town young woman Kerstin Norbac who gets involved with an obsessed sailor.  The obsessed sailor shoots her when she tries to leave him.  Near death as the bullet nicked her heart she nonetheless survives after a miraculous operation and moves to Stockholm under a new name of Sara Nordana to start a new life and try to escape the lurid tabloid press.  Yup, you are right: she is discovered eventually by the released obsessed sailor and the vicious tabloid press when all she wants is to build a new life from her new new job in a pharmacy.  The young women who are her new roommates don't help matters with their gossipy ways.  The rest of this movie is about her struggle to find real love and happiness.  I watched it on Amazon and give it 3 of 4 stars.  The luminous Bergman is a delight as are all the other Swedish characters and many of them are real "characters" if you know what I mean.  Good flic.  Well worth watching.  JUNINATTEN means JUNE NIGHTS under which title it is also known.juninatten_40_d.jpg

I am glad you mentioned this film. I've been interested in seeing it. I would also like to see the Swedish version of INTERMEZZO which she remade in Hollywood for David Selznick, just to compare. Plus she was in the original production of A WOMAN'S FACE (remade by MGM with Joan Crawford). I would love to see TCM air these early Ingrid Bergman films one evening. What a treat that would be!

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings