Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

singin' duke

NipkowDisc

IMDB says that Duke's singing in "Lawless Range" was dubbed by Jack Kirk.  In an earlier film called "Riders Of Destiny" for the same director, Robert Bradbury, John Wayne's singing was dubbed by the director's son, Bill.  Robert Bradbury's other son, Robert Jr,, changed his name to Bob Steele and became a western star.

Now why would Big Duke ever need to be dubbed when he actually had a very good singing voice!

I mean, just listen to him here...

Yep, word is Duke learned everything he did about singing while out of the wild ranges of Hoboken New Jersey and just like some other guy I've heard of somewhere!

;)

(...on somewhat of a more serious note, check out Wayne's own words about his short-lived career as a singing cowboy...it starts at 3:41 of the following clip...)

I like Duke's 1932 Warner "B"-western HAUNTED GOLD, but I'm sure glad there's no singing by anyone in it.  After I saw Haunted Gold on TCM I went out and bought it to add to my homevideo stash.     

The only Western I can think of offhand where I liked the singing was RUSTLERS' RHAPSODY (1985) with Tom Berenger, G.W. Bailey, Marilu Henner and Andy Griffith.  But there's not a lot of singing, I might add. 

And so it goes . . .

(SAGE WISDOM:  It's hard to like musical Westerns and musical 'Musicals' if you don't like the songs, the style of singing and the arrangements.  'nuff said).

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings