Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sam Simon, Simpsons co-developer, has died

TheGayDivorcee

So, as it turns out, Homer was named after Sam's own father, Homer Simon. And Marge was named after his mother.

There was a debate here a while back as to why the character was named "Homer Simpson". Who knew the answer was as simple as that?

59 is too young. Very sad news.

So, as it turns out, Homer was named after Sam's own father, Homer Simon. And Marge was named after his mother.

There was a debate here a while back as to why the character was named "Homer Simpson". Who knew the answer was as simple as that?

59 is too young. Very sad news.

I believe you're confusing Sam Simon with Matt Groening (pronounced GRAIN-ing), the creator of "The Simpsons." Those characters were named after Groening's family members. And, yes, he had sisters named Lisa and Maggie -- and a grandfather named Abe.

I believe you're confusing Sam Simon with Matt Groening (pronounced GRAIN-ing), the creator of "The Simpsons." Those characters were named after Groening's family members. And, yes, he had sisters named Lisa and Maggie -- and a grandfather named Abe.

All I know is what I read in the link provided by GayD in the opening post. Perhaps I misunderstood what I read.

Went back and read it again. You're right - it was Homer Groening. The point I was making remains valid however, regarding the former debate over where the name 'Homer Simpson' originated. It wasn't anything mysterious - it was simply after one of the creators parents.

Edited by darkblue

All I know is what I read in the link provided by GayD in the opening post. Perhaps I misunderstood what I read.

Went back and read it again. You're right - it was Homer Groening. The point I was making remains valid however, regarding the former debate over where the name 'Homer Simpson' originated. It wasn't anything mysterious - it was simply after one of the creators parents.

No big deal! I find it interesting that Groening didn't name Bart Simpson after himself. Apparently, Bart is a bit of wordplay derived from "brat"!