Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kid Galahad (1962)

Kid Dabb

My favorite Elvis movie. I like the cast. I like the story. I like the COLOR!

I can only take so much of Elvis' songs in his movies, but here,

the story (for me) is good enough to prop it all up.

My favorite Elvis movie. I like the cast. I like the story. I like the COLOR!

I can only take so much of Elvis' songs in his movies, but here,
                        the story (for me) is good enough to prop it all up.

Yes, some of the early 60's Elvis movies were at least trying to be something more than just LP sellers.

Flaming Star, Kid Galahad and Follow That Dream all have something to recommend them - and, not coincidentally, feature fewer songs than the rest of his 60's films (all of which were ridiculous).

Yes, some of the early 60's Elvis movies were at least trying to be something more than just LP sellers.

Flaming Star, Kid Galahad and Follow That Dream all have something to recommend them - and, not coincidentally, feature fewer songs than the rest of his 60's films (all of which were ridiculous).

However, compared to the original KID GALAHAD with Wayne Morris and Edward G. Robinson, this one does seem like a commercial for Elvis the musician. The original had no connection with music at all. 

I felt Gig Young was miscast in this film. This kind of material is beneath him. He must have been between films and Walter Mirisch twisted his arm.

And Elvis desperately needed an acting coach. He was better in his earlier Paramount films, even the fluff ones. He was starting to get lazy as an actor by the time KID GALAHAD was made, and quite frankly it shows.

However, compared to the original KID GALAHAD with Wayne Morris and Edward G. Robinson, this one does seem like a commercial for Elvis the musician. The original had no connection with music at all. 

I felt Gig Young was miscast in this film. This kind of material is beneath him. He must have been between films and Walter Mirisch twisted his arm.

And Elvis desperately needed an acting coach. He was better in his earlier Paramount films, even the fluff ones. He was starting to get lazy as an actor by the time KID GALAHAD was made, and quite frankly it shows.

The original Kid Galahad is a first rate Warner Brothers movies.   Don't forget that in addition to Morris and E.G. Robinson the film has Bette Davis,  Bogie and Jane Bryant.   That is some major WB  talent.   I recommend this movie to those that feel Davis has to dominate a movie to make her presence known.    The movie is centered around the Morris and Robinson character but these other fine actors add great support.    (ok, Bogie is playing the typical gangster role he was known for at the time,   but a decade later he turns the table on E.G. in Key Largo).

• 11 months later...

I just finished watching this one again and I still like it - just as much. This time 'round, I was thinking this would've been good as a non-musical drama with perhaps one or two songs - closer to Jailhouse Rock's production style where the songs flow with the plot.

Although I don't care for musicals, especially ones where the stars spontaneously break out in songs that don't follow the plot very well, I did have the full collection of Elvis' movie music soundtracks on LPs. I had no problem listening to them over and over, just couldn't handle them (much) in his films.

5jTlJ1s.jpg

• Like 1

I agree with you Kid. It's the first EP movie I remember seeing, only catching up to earlier films later. I thought it was pretty well done and I love the location. Several of his films were studio bound, but when they were filmed on location, TPTB picked some beautiful places.

• 3 months later...

I disagree about Gig Young. His film career was beginning its decline about this time. He was rarely considered a leading man and rarely scored a "lead" part...usually the comedic second lead. He did 13 movies under the name "Byron Barr" before taking the name Gig Young...based on the character he portrayed in "The Gay Sisters" in 1942. He was already 50 years old when Kid Galahad came out. I personally believe he had a much more successful television career. 

As for Elvis, he was a singer...never a great actor...which is quite evident. Although predominantly lighthearted and non-thought provoking entertainment, his movies were vehicles for publicity and record sales. For someone like Elvis, the typical Boy Meets Girl, Boy Loses Girl, Boy Gets Girl Back venue, laid to a backdrop of bubblegum pop music proved quite lucrative. Due to his world-wide acclaim, I really believe they could have filmed him just standing or sitting in a chair for 2 hours and people would have still flocked to the theaters to see him. LOL People either seemed to love him or hate him with little difference in between. The one thing you have to admit is that Elvis Aaron Presley was a phenomenon...there has only ever been, or ever will be, one Elvis.

• 4 weeks later...

I just watched the  Gig Young version the other day and really enjoyed it (EGR day) I'll have to watch the Elvis version soon.  Thanks for reminding me Dobbs ... I love Elvis and I don't care how silly the movies are :)

I just watched the  Gig Young version the other day and really enjoyed it (EGR day) I'll have to watch the Elvis version soon.  Thanks for reminding me Dobbs ... I love Elvis and I don't care how silly the movies are :)

Gig Young is in the Elvis,  1962 version.   The E.G. Robinson version has Bogart, Bette Davis, Wayne Morris and Jane Bryant.   

Gig Young is in the Elvis,  1962 version.   The E.G. Robinson version has Bogart, Bette Davis, Wayne Morris and Jane Bryant.   

Dammit how stupid.  I had Gig Young on my brain as I was typing that from comments below but meant the Edward.G. Robinson version.  I should have just said that.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings