Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does unrestricted, uncensored film-art corrupt the moral fabric of society?

16 hours ago, Dargo said:

"PREverts"?!

(...somewhere Archie Bunker and Col. 'Bat' Guano are now nodding their heads in agreement with the above comment)

;)

If one spells it correctly, it will be asterisked out. Oops, I've got to go to the terlet.

I've been having some trouble in other forums with people misinterpreting some of my posts.  As if how THEY interpret what I post is somehow MY responsibility!  My access to one of them is temporarily suspended because of it, and I'm actually considering just not going back.  But too, Sarge,.....

Remember what the "Bard" said, through Polonius, in HAMLET(act1/scene3)....

"Above all else, to thine own self be true."  ;) 

Sepiatone(responding to a Sgt. Markoff post of 21 hours earlier)

22 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I'm a friendly 'Doctor Jekyll' Monday through Thursday, but Friday to Sunday 'Mister Hyde' comes out. I'm surprised I've lasted on the site this long. I'm surprised I get home on Friday and Saturday nights at all without winding up in Brooklyn tombs or Lenox Hill Hospital. Job stress...

We can see that, lay off the potions on Friday and Saturday nights

Image result for mr hyde images

On 4/13/2019 at 6:07 AM, Sepiatone said:

Only if you let it.  It's OUR OWN responsibility to allow whatever we wish to influence us, and the choices WE make, as individuals, are what counts.  But what does cause some of the problems that others like to link to art, movies, music, whatever, are many people's difficulty with the concept of "individuality".  And in some quarters, where some might say, "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" say, "Monkey see, monkey do!"  ;) 

I agree with this statement. Us poor human beings are just too corruptable. Strong-willed people may not even be willing to believe it because they are not as severely effected. I didn't believe it, either, for a long time. Everybody else was just "too sensitive." Have you ever heard about medication commercials making people sick? The nocebo effect? I never gave a thought to them until the whole "restless leg syndrome" epidemic, and wouldn't you know it- I caught it! When the commercials stopped, so did my restless legs. I didn't think I was being effected, but I was!

I'm just going to go on blaming massive media. Just saying, all this garbage that is being so relentlessly flung at us through advertising is effecting our subconscious. When everyone gets the same advertising pumped into them, everyone's subconscious is being effected in the same way. The more massive the advertising, the more massive the numbers of people that are being "corrupted" by whatever is being sold. It's not the fault of any particular art or product, it's the natural result of influencing as much of society as possible with it, whatever it is. Unfortunately society is not merely a union of "individuals," it is a malleable entity of it's own and our corruption via media is not just possible, I reckon it's inevitable.

Sex and violence are a couple of the more obvious, old-fashioned bugaboos. There are more subtle and insidious influences than those out there assaulting our health, logic, intelligence, taste... anything you can name.

("Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you." -Joseph Heller)

17 minutes ago, Kay said:

Have you ever heard about medication commercials making people sick? The nocebo effect? I never gave a thought to them until the whole "restless leg syndrome" epidemic, and wouldn't you know it- I caught it! When the commercials stopped, so did my restless legs. I didn't think I was being effected, but I was!

I don't watch much commercial TV, and rarely see commercials. I watch TCM, stream films off various sites and watch the news for roughly or two an hour in the AM and PM.

12 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

I don't watch much commercial TV, and rarely see commercials. I watch TCM, stream films off various sites and watch the news for roughly or two an hour in the AM and PM.

If we all had your strength it would be a better world, Joe.

As for me... Laredo fills a 1hr, 15min time slot due to more added commercials, but I needs my Neville Brand.

• Like 2

KAY, I'm reluctant to blame the "glut" of advertising constantly "flung" at us for people allowing it to have what I call a pathological influence on them.  I'd say some of it is upbringing, in the sense of having parents who also had a "keep up with" or  beat the Joneses attitude.  My ex's Mother was sorta like that, always pressing her to act or dress in a certain manner that she claimed, "all the POPULAR kids do that!"  But then too, my ex, thankfully, never let that influence HER way of thinking.  But many people see following trends as a measure of their own status they often get too obsessive about it.  

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Kay said:

As for me... Laredo fills a 1hr, 15min time slot due to more added commercials, but I needs my Neville Brand.

When the wife is watching say something on TBS or one of the other commercial channels. I actually get **** off now when commercials come on, (they can really irritate me very quickly) and especially when a two hour film is stretched to a three hour time slot. It's doubly irritating when the film in question is something we actually own, like fer instance McLintock! :D

And concerning sex and violence, Neville Brand, and the above Overton's Window have you seen him in The Police Connection aka The Mad Bomber (1973) a pretty intense non PC Neo Noir where he plays rapist sex-weirdo. It also stars Chuck Connors and Vince Edwards. Also pretty good in a bit part in Psychic Killer (1975).

• Thanks 1

Joe, I haven't seen either of those films you mention. My knowledge of exploitation films is sadly lacking, (fix it, TCM!) The first one looks very intriguing... what a delightful poster, too! I think society's moral fabric could use more of this kind of corruption, personally.

(Wow, if only rapists were that easy to identify on sight.)

image.png.de482d0346df0a60c78770b4659fbab6.png

P.S. Commercial irritate me to the core, as well, to the point that I lunge for the mute button every time they start, and have even come to averting my delicate eyes. I swear I'll cut them out of my life completely.... one of these days... and watch nothing but wholesome programming from then on, (such as the above.)

Hey Sepia, thanks for replying! I understand what you mean, tho it seems our society has not usually been one to encourage individualism, as I guess most big societies haven't. Seems, too, that a large portion of the populous doesn't take to individualism naturally, even to the point of feeling competitive in their conformity. To rebels like you and me the very idea is reproachable, but alas most people are not so independent-minded, and it is their poor souls and minds that are at the mercy of whatever happens to be trending. This is where I get pessimistic.

If only everyone in the world could be such dissenters!... (Uh... hold on a sec... hmmm...)

• Thanks 1

Yeah, know what you mean too(especially at the end there!  ;)  ). But the hardest thing to be is a TRUE non-conformist.  Think a bit about that....

The reason I don't consider myself a "trend w h o r e" is that I refuse to follow silly trends in fashion, behavior or anything else that doesn't initially appeal to me just because "everybody else" does.  But, there HAVE been trends in (let's say) fashion that DID appeal to my sense of taste(or style), and so to be a "true" non-conformist, I would have to deny myself something I would truly enjoy, thereby too, not be true to mySELF in the process.  

And also, I know many who honestly didn't get the context of this-----

Couldn't find a full episode....

Sepiatone

• Like 2
On 4/16/2019 at 7:43 PM, Kay said:

If we all had your strength it would be a better world, Joe.

Just saw our boy Neville in an old JOEY BISHOP Show episode playing the part of a mob "enforcer", and looking quite dapper in a suit and tie with neatly coiffed hair.  And LEE VAN CLEEF was his "co-thug".  ;) 

I used to( back in the '60's) be a loyal viewer of LAREDO,  and also jumped in surprise when the show's  PHILIP CAREY showed up in the early '70's in a role on my ex's favorite soap, ONE LIFE TO LIVE. 

When I first met my wife Alicia and she told me she was born in Laredo TX, it amused her when I asked if she knew Neville Brand, and she laughed explaining she too, would look in on the show because of it's NAME more than any particular member of the cast.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

Hehe, yes I would say one can take the whole "rebel" idea too literally and just end up being a... a what? A contrarian? Someone who does the opposite of everything his hip friends do? Gotta say that would be pretty ambitious if not downright dangerous.

No need to find the full episode, that is one that seems to be on TV all the time. How do you misunderstand that tho? Does it look like a happy ending just because she looks so pleased about it? My own question about that ending, is the brainwashing part of that 'process' or just supposed to be a side-effect?.. (Yeesh, don't tell me this is really her true self and all that time she was just being contrary.)

Always did like the touch that every male character on that episode was played by the same guy, (now I know who he is, too. Richard Long, the one-too-many detective on 77 SUNSET STRIP.)