Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Closing this thread as most of this has nothing to do with the original topic

darkblue

I am quite happy that that thread was closed.

I feel that this is topic of which I have more experience and knowledge than is common here and so could speak with tinge of authority. Experience came from living in area where state demanded movies propagated certain social ideals. Knowledge came from my uncle working in filmmaking and his stories of what could and could not be filmed. I remember well his telling of losing week during making of documentary because filming of major scene captured dilapidated building at edge of screen. To show any but best and brightest in that movie was against principles of state. Entire scene had to be shot again with camera located six paces forward of original position.so as to exclude building.

I had not composed my thoughts sufficiently yet to post when discussion diverged from initial topic of thread. I would then have had to find method to kindly and in non-confrontational ways tell people that they are blithering idiots re: history. That would have been major effort as I do not suffer fools gladly.

Closing of thread means much less work for me and allows me to retain some semblance of respectability and tolerance.

• Like 1

I feel that this is topic of which I have more experience and knowledge than is common here and so could speak with tinge of authority. Experience came from living in area where state demanded movies propagated certain social ideals. Knowledge came from my uncle working in filmmaking and his stories of what could and could not be filmed. 

I had not composed my thoughts sufficiently yet to post when discussion diverged from initial topic of thread. I would then have had to find method to kindly and in non-confrontational ways tell people that they are blithering idiots re: history. That would have been major effort as I do not suffer fools gladly.

Closing of thread means much less work for me and allows me to retain some semblance of respectability and tolerance.

LOL

Sorry Sans my dear, but you gave yourself away here when you included the above phrase: "blithering idiots". ;)

(...though don't worry...no matter what OR how you phrase something around here, you'll always have MY respect, anyway)

you gave yourself away here when you included the above phrase: "blithering idiots". 

I thank you for your kind words. 

I used that phrase because I had not reached the point yet where I had conceived of tactful or polite alternate phrase.

No person can now state that I termed them specifically as blithering idiot and I am quite sure that all will believe in their heart that I referred to other posters and could not have meant them.

• Like 1

Modern America is full of younger folks who don't know much of anything about history.  I do not know if history is even taught in our public schools any more?

I went to public school.  The Palm Beach County School System in South Florida, USA!  Youbetcha!  :P  

Jefferson Davis Middle School (since re-named) from 1984-87 and then on to John I. Leonard High School from 1987-91.  I'd give my history lessons an 'average'.  ► I think my most memorable lesson was finding out that, in 1967, Steve McQueen -- in conjunction with Sgt. Preston of the Yukon -- led a memorable raid up the Yangtze River to rescue Marlon Brando from The Huns.  Jeez, what a great day in history class that was!  My teacher gave me an 'F+', though, because I said it was Bob Crane (from HOGAN'S HEROES) who was The Chief Hun instead of 'Attila'.  Oops.  Well, y'all can imagine I was just crushed.  :blink:  

I may weep. 

No person can now state that I termed them specifically as blithering idiot and I am quite sure that all will believe in their heart that I referred to other posters and could not have meant them.

Well then, I suppose I can be thankful that other than my post correlating rr's post to what James Garner said in that Paddy Chayefsky-penned anti-war movie, I didn't say much else in it, and thus I CERTAINLY couldn't have been any of those "blithering idiots" that you're now vaguely referencing here! ;)

(...well, unless you're not a big fan of either Messrs Garner and/or Chayefsky, of course)

I CERTAINLY couldn't have been any of those "blithering idiots" that you're now vaguely referencing here! 

I would never categorize you as blithering idiot. I believe "blathering fool" would be more appropriate but only when you mean to be with your sarcasm and sharp barbs to puncture egos as fools of old did for their kings. :)

I would never categorize you as blithering idiot. I believe "blathering fool" would be more appropriate but only when you mean to be with your sarcasm and sharp barbs to puncture egos as fools of old did for their kings. :)

Yeah, I suppose so.

(...but PLEASE don't now make me recite that whole "pestle in the vessel" routine to prove it, OKAY?!...THAT sucker is a real tongue-twister, and only DANNY could do THAT shtick justice!) ;)

I went to public school.  The Palm Beach County School System in South Florida, USA!  Youbetcha!  :P 

I went to the D. W. Griffith Public Grammar School in Crestwood, Kentucky when I was a kid. Then I graduated and went on to the Nathan Bedford Forrest Junior High School. After that I went to the Robert E. Lee High School, and I went on to Jefferson Davis College. :)

I went to the D. W. Griffith Public Grammar School in Crestwood, Kentucky when I was a kid. Then I graduated and went on to the Nathan Bedford Forrest Junior High School. After that I went to the Robert E. Lee High School, and I went on to Jefferson Davis College. :)

Wow! I'll bet all the teachers at Fred's schools were real slave drivers.

(...I mean, can you just IMAGINE all the homework those people probably piled on the poor young man back then, and with the first lesson learned that one NEVER refers to it as "The Civil War"!) 

I feel that this is topic of which I have more experience and knowledge than is common here and so could speak with tinge of authority. Experience came from living in area where state demanded movies propagated certain social ideals. Knowledge came from my uncle working in filmmaking and his stories of what could and could not be filmed. I remember well his telling of losing week during making of documentary because filming of major scene captured dilapidated building at edge of screen. To show any but best and brightest in that movie was against principles of state. Entire scene had to be shot again with camera located six paces forward of original position.so as to exclude building.

Sounds like your uncle worked for a major Hollywood studio during the production code era.

Sounds like your uncle worked for a major Hollywood studio during the production code era.

He worked for: Central Studio for Documentary Film. They made newsreels, educational movies, short documentary movies and feature-length documentary movies.

(...but PLEASE don't now make me recite that whole "pestle in the vessel" routine to prove it, OKAY?!...THAT sucker is a real tongue-twister, and only DANNY could do THAT shtick justice!) 

Perhaps you could learn: Черепаха часто чхала, чапля чаєм частувала.

Perhaps you could learn: Черепаха часто чхала, чапля чаєм частувала.

Okay now, Sans! If THAT is some kind'a Cyrillic version of "Moses Supposes", then you can just forget me doin' THAT now TOO!!!

(...I'll leave THAT to some Ukrainian version of Gene Kelly, thank you very much!!!)

What thread??

What happened?

Can anyone tell me?

Boy, it's too bad I can hardly ever go on these boards in the daytime anymore....seems like I miss a lot of action (or something.)

The one with the lock on it and still on this forum's page-1, MissW.

(...and actually nothing really happened or really got too much out of hand in it as far as I could tell...pretty much a "preemptive strike" by the Mod, if you ask me)

Okay now, Sans! If THAT is some kind'a Cyrillic version of "Moses Supposes", then you can just forget me doin' THAT now TOO!!!

(...I'll leave THAT to some Ukrainian version of Gene Kelly, thank you very much!!!)

"Moses Supposes" is enunciation exercise. Черепаха часто чхала, чапля чаєм частувала is child's tongue-twister. 

This is opportunity to present: Moses Supposes:

• Like 1

What thread??

What happened?

Can anyone tell me?

Boy, it's too bad I can hardly ever go on these boards in the daytime anymore....seems like I miss a lot of action (or something.)

I go on the boards every day, I'm as in the fog as you are, and it bothers me not the slightest.

What thread??

What happened?

Can anyone tell me?

In gen discussions, look for a thread about biased Propaganda. It's further down.  The mods locked the thread. Political discussions, and got a little heated. A questionable thread, with questionable motives most likely according to the mods.