Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The slow death of cable and satellite television...

JeanneCrain

Paying for a plethora of television channels you just don't watch, can't understand or just geared to sell you something is entering a death cycle as more and more non-cable and non-satelitte options keep "streaming" out.

Along with antennas which capture local HD stations for free, mobile applications, movie and show providers such as Netflix and Hulu along with network programming not tethered (such as TCM) to a traditional provider - the availability of what many viewers watch or would like to watch keeps growing as cable and satellite providers who apparently believe it's "fair" to charge customers for programming they don't use keep losing subscriptions.

Unless cable and satellite providers do an about face, eventually they'll be joining the likes of the typewriter - it's only a matter of time.

"Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'…into the future" -Steve Miller

Ref: http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/technologyinvesting/the-long-slow-death-of-cable-just-reached-a-tipping-point/ar-AA9H4n7?ocid=mailsignout

When I heard on the radio about the "on demand HBO" Apple is offering, I knew the writing is on the wall. I believe this will be the first "slippery slope" that will turn the tide to more a la carte viewing. 

I hope this trend continues and breaks up the crazy TV monopoly cable & satellite providers have over us. More and more people I know are cutting the cord out of dissatisfaction. Higher costs are a factor, but mostly it's what is "provided" that turns people off.

And even more amazing to me those pitching new show ideas keep pumping out & selling this dreck.

Paying for a plethora of television channels you just don't watch, can't understand or just geared to sell you something is entering a death cycle as more and more non-cable and non-satelitte options keep "streaming" out.

Along with antennas which capture local HD stations for free, mobile applications, movie and show providers such as Netflix and Hulu along with network programming not tethered (such as TCM) to a traditional provider - the availability of what many viewers watch or would like to watch keeps growing as cable and satellite providers who apparently believe it's "fair" to charge customers for programming they don't use keep losing subscriptions.

Unless cable and satellite providers do an about face, eventually they'll be joining the likes of the typewriter - it's only a matter of time.

"Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'…into the future" -Steve Miller

Ref: http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/technologyinvesting/the-long-slow-death-of-cable-just-reached-a-tipping-point/ar-AA9H4n7?ocid=mailsignout

People wrote off the networks a decade ago and they are still kicking.  It's some of the individual channels (i.e. TLC) I wondered why haven't kick the bucket by now, BORING!!!  :(

If there's any ray of hope, this piece of trash was CANCELED!  

1024-honey-boo-boo-cancelled-facebook2-3

Doubt cable or satellite will be gone in my lifetime.  They still offer way too many choices compared to the others.  Don't forget, the others require that you be teethered to a wireless router of some kind and have your computer/phone/device on all the time.  Plus paying a premium for few selections.

Biggest problem is that there are now too many "cable" "networks" and not enough creativity to justify a massive number of different programs, much less talent to perform in them.  So they are all doing the same "reality" trash.  Which is totally fabricated anyway.

There are 4 premium channels I watch - I have no interest in the other (approx) 1990 available channels. Paying $50 a la carte for those 4 alone would be no different than what I'm paying now.. only those 1990 channels would not be available. 

Perhaps, eventually, the system may operate similarly to prepaid cellphones. Or.. You just watch what you want, a la carte, and they send you a bill each month for usage - so much per minute.

It's difficult to predict. Great leaps forward make people uncomfortable, so there must be many smaller steps - steps which may seem insignificant when compared with their predecessors.

People wrote off the networks a decade ago and they are still kicking.  It's some of the individual channels (i.e. TLC) I wondered why haven't kick the bucket by now, BORING!!!  :(

YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!! Happy to say I never watched it, but at least now wont have to see the commercials! :D

OK, what is the name of the program?

Honey "Obnoxious" Boo Boo 

(if you don't have TLC, consider yourself blessed)

I didn't know who these people were either.  TLC isn't in my custom channels list.  I do recall a family member or two joking about Honey Boo Boo though.  It doesn't look like they did anything to help the cause of rural America.

Frankly, if my only other "future" alternative is to buy a different TV set, say....what, for some reason is called a "smart" TV because it, like it's little brother, the "smart" phone, which comes able to do TONS of crap I don't wish to have ON my phone, then my television viewing future looks pretty grim.

I don't wish to watch television on something no bigger than the palm of my hand.  I don't wish to have to buy a TV set that requires the"plugging in" of a half to a dozen "flash drive" sized do-jobs in order to watch movies.

I just wanna watch TV, for Christ's sake!  It WASN'T broke!

WHY is everybody then, trying to FIX it?  Like with the phone.

I just want to CALL someone and haveTHEM call ME!  I DON'T want to text, tweet, go online,  drive all over hell and back looking for WI-FI, or do ANYTHING that can be done on my already working just fine PC!   

I get NO thrill looking at YouTube clips of guys smashing their gonads on stair railings when they idiotically try to ride a skateboard on them!

I'd RATHER listen to music off of a well engineered digital disc or platter on a "state-of-the-art" sound system.  NOT a poor sounding MP3 signal through a pair of cheezy little EAR BUDS!

You WISH to be a "gadget zombie" then it's your right!  But, it SHOULD also be MY right to REFUSE to be!

Sepiatone

• Like 2

I didn't know who these people were either.  TLC isn't in my custom channels list.  I do recall a family member or two joking about Honey Boo Boo though.  It doesn't look like they did anything to help the cause of rural America.

It wouldnt matter if you didnt have TLC. They ran the commercials on all the related channels. Seems like a half dozen conglomerates own every station on cable.........

When I heard on the radio about the "on demand HBO" Apple is offering, I knew the writing is on the wall. I believe this will be the first "slippery slope" that will turn the tide to more a la carte viewing. 

I hope this trend continues and breaks up the crazy TV monopoly cable & satellite providers have over us. More and more people I know are cutting the cord out of dissatisfaction. Higher costs are a factor, but mostly it's what is "provided" that turns people off.

And even more amazing to me those pitching new show ideas keep pumping out & selling this dreck.

Note that when eating out going a la carte cost MORE,  not LESS,   unless one only purchases a very limited amount (which for most of us wouldn't be fulfilling).   I predict the same with a la carte viewing.  

I feel whichever provider method keeps up with technological advances will be the driving wind as to which way consumers sail – example, although the new “cinematic” quality television are available their currently over priced, in time, their prices will fall but more importantly they’re only as good as the delivered provider’s image quality – can the current internet infrastructure currently accommodate massive streaming of high-quality imaging, even in a compressed form without slowing internet to a near halt? :huh:

Who will or will be capable of delivering the broadest selection of high-quality imagines consumer televisions will demand at the best price? 

:) 

Honey "Obnoxious" Boo Boo 

(if you don't have TLC, consider yourself blessed)

Thanks.  Heard of it, but never watched it.   Of course, we still have Southern Charm and Myrtle Manor set in Charleston, SC and Myrtle Beach SC respectively.  Different ends of the socio-economic spectrum, but each as dumb as the other.

It amazes me that people watch movies and TV shows on their iPads, smartphones, etc., but also insist on having a 50" HD TV in their homes.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings