Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Carry On Cleo on Saturday!

Swithin

At the risk of repeating myself, I must remind you all that one of the gems of the Carry On series will be gracing TCM on Saturday, March 14, at 10:30 am.  I must also repeat that, whoever programmed this treat on the eve of the Ides of March, is brilliant. Don't miss it. Charles Hawtrey's Seneca is one of the many highlights.

b-Carry_On_Cleo2.jpg

597ec8dd1829c634afb98c344ca92922.jpg

Oh!!! I have been watching the Carry On Series and I will truly miss it. I am surprised someone has not complained of its lack of political correctness and stereotyping. They couldn't make those movies today...the actors wouldn't act the roles and studios would get mobbed and tweeted to death. But oh how I loved them.

My parents used to take me to the ones that came to the local art house theater (where I lived, if it had a foreign accent it qualified as an art house movie). The actors were terrific and the lines and facial expressions hilarious. The other thing I like about the movies is it catches post-war England in all its glory and innocence. And the cars...I love the cars. I always wanted a Hillman.

The movies segued into those wonderful comedies that could not get shown today as well, Are You Being Served, 'Allo 'Allo and Dad's Army. I am just happy to see someone else enjoying them.

Oh!!! I have been watching the Carry On Series and I will truly miss it. I am surprised someone has not complained of its lack of political correctness and stereotyping. They couldn't make those movies today...the actors wouldn't act the roles and studios would get mobbed and tweeted to death. But oh how I loved them.

My parents used to take me to the ones that came to the local art house theater (where I lived, if it had a foreign accent it qualified as an art house movie). The actors were terrific and the lines and facial expressions hilarious. The other thing I like about the movies is it catches post-war England in all its glory and innocence. And the cars...I love the cars. I always wanted a Hillman.

The movies segued into those wonderful comedies that could not get shown today as well, Are You Being Served, 'Allo 'Allo and Dad's Army. I am just happy to see someone else enjoying them.

You mention Dad's Army. Pamela Cundel, whom I knew, played a leading role -- perhaps the only leading female role: Mrs. Fox. She passed away last month. I had lunch with her a few months ago, great gal!

I have at all times had abiding love for British comedies. They have such great contrast between prudish matrons and mindless gits. 

I like the: Carry On series greatly. I would surely like the movies much more if they had: Closed Captioning.

I wish very much that TCM could air: St. Trinian's series of movies!

Some of my favorite British comedy television series are:

Fawlty Towers

Coupling

Absolutely Fabulous

One Foot in the Grave

Black Adder

Yes, Minister

The Vicar of Dibley

Last of the Summer Wine

Red Dwarf

To the Manner Born

One Foot in the Grave

Father Ted

Jeeves and Wooster

I often feel very much as if I am only person in the world who has no great love for:

Keeping Up Appearances

'Allo 'Allo

Are You Being Served

To recap this series, here are the ones they are showing, and a few that didn't make it this time, but they have shown in the past.

Airdate      Title (Prod_year)

2014-12    Carry on Sergeant (1959)

2014-12    Carry On Nurse (1960)

2014-12    Carry on Teacher (1962)

2015-01    Carry on, Constable (1961)
2015-01    Carry on Regardless (1963)    
2015-01    Carry On Cruising (1962)    
2015-01    Carry on Cabby (1963)    
2015-01    Carry On Jack (1964)    
2015-03    Carry on Spying (1964)    
2015-03    Carry on Cleo (1965)    
2015-03    Carry On Cowboy (1966)    
2015-03    Carry On Screaming! (1966)
2015-04    Carry On Pimpernel (1966)

2015-04    Carry On In the Legion (1967)
2015-04    Carry on Doctor (1968)    
2015-04    Carry On... Up the Khyber (1968)

I have at all times had abiding love for British comedies. They have such great contrast between prudish matrons and mindless gits. 

I like the: Carry On series greatly. I would surely like the movies much more if they had: Closed Captioning.

I often feel very much as if I am only person in the world who has no great love for:

Keeping Up Appearances

'Allo 'Allo

Are You Being Served

I love most British comedy, but I do not like "Keeping Up Appearances." There's something about that show that I find distasteful. 

You Yank viewers have got us Canucks beat again. None of the "Carry On" films are shown in Canada.

Remember seeing some of them at the show as a kid. My Dad would laugh himself silly at these slightly raunchy, silly British comedies. Wish I could view a few of them again.

Always loved Sid James' laugh.

• Like 1

You Yank viewers have got us Canucks beat again. None of the "Carry On" films are shown in Canada.

Remember seeing some of them at the show as a kid. My Dad would laugh himself silly at these slightly raunchy, silly British comedies. Wish I could view a few of them again.

Always loved Sid James' laugh.

I am sorry you missed the Carry On...loved this series of movies and yes I love Sid James as well.  While enjoying Carry on Cleo and suprised at the rich costumes (thanks to Cleopatra left overs) the one fun thing was the take on Marks and Spencers when disposing of the captives.  Oh...sometimes I could spend an eveing of politically incorrect BBC series including the most PI of all, the Benny Hill show.  I think that is why I like watching Top Gear and Jeremy Clarkson, he pushes all the right buttons.  Sorry you lefties. 

I am sorry you missed the Carry On...loved this series of movies and yes I love Sid James as well.  While enjoying Carry on Cleo and suprised at the rich costumes (thanks to Cleopatra left overs) the one fun thing was the take on Marks and Spencers when disposing of the captives.  Oh...sometimes I could spend an eveing of politically incorrect BBC series including the most PI of all, the Benny Hill show.  I think that is why I like watching Top Gear and Jeremy Clarkson, he pushes all the right buttons.  Sorry you lefties. 

I don't consider the Carry On films particularly politically incorrect.  Old fashioned lowbrow bawdiness as depicted in the Carry On films might offend right-wing conservatives but is not analogous to political incorrectness. I love Carry On Cleo but think my favorite is probably Carry On Teacher, since one of my favorite members of the Carry On gang is the great Hattie Jacques.

HIGHLY disappointed that TCM has seen fit to cancel the rest of the 'Carry On' movies for April and put Peter Sellers in their place.  :(

HIGHLY disappointed that TCM has seen fit to cancel the rest of the 'Carry On' movies for April and put Peter Sellers in their place.  :(

Oh No! I'm in the UK at the moment and was looking forward to those Carry On films when I return!  I want Sir Sidney and Lady Ruff-Diamond!

carry%20on%20up%20the%20khyber.jpg

So they bailed after showing about half of their inventory.  Excuses, excuses.  This one better be good, Peter Sellers has been dead now for nearly 35 years.

So they bailed after showing about half of their inventory.  Excuses, excuses.  This one better be good, Peter Sellers has been dead now for nearly 35 years.

And they already have Dr. Strangelove on the May schedule.  This is really disappointing, what can the reason be? 

I have enjoyed all of the Carry on movies too (so much so that I could not delete any of them from my DVR as I copied them to DVD). I even watched some on YOUTUBE that TCM didn't have on.

There is a documentary on YOUTUBE about the series that is good. The one thing that the documentary points out is that they all enjoyed working together and making the Carry On series. They were a real family and truly loved each other and felt sorrow when each cast member pasted away. I think that shows as you watch each movie.